Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Motor Trend Compares Camaro and Genesis 3.8

[source: Motortrend]

2010 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 vs 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

Six Shooters: Motortrend Tries to Find the King of the Affordable V-6 Coupes

112_0907_03z%20hyundai_genesis_chevrolet

FIRST PLACE: Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Best viewed from behind the wheel, where it handles entertaining roads more like a sports car than a pony- or musclecar.

SECOND PLACE: Chevrolet Camaro

Powerful, refined V-6 and enough style to lend some to Hyundai, its weight and size make it less entertaining on second- and third-gear roads.

Your humble Detroit bureau's predilection was to give the new Chevy Camaro the benefit of the doubt. It has far more visual appeal than the Hyundai Genesis, and that's why people buy sport coupes. Meanwhile, GM has downsized itself into underdog status. The Camaro's sibling, the Pontiac G8, ends production this year. That makes the Camaro GM's only North American-market Zeta-platform car. It's a pre-reorganization present to baby-boomers who've been waiting seven years since the demise of the F-Body. After a five- or six-year run, GM's rear-drive business likely will revert to Cadillac and Corvette.

The Hyundai Genesis, sedan and coupe, look ready to thrive, if only in low volume in light of fuel economy and emissions regulations. While the Camaro scored slightly higher real-world fuel economy than the Genesis, Hyundai's numbers will get better when it adds such technology as gas direct-injection. The 2010 Chevy Camaro is a beautiful tribute to our automotive past. If there is a future for rear-drive sport coupes, it's in a car like the Hyundai Genesis.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Camaro has a bigger engine optional. The Hyundai was designed specifically for the V6. I really don't think you can expect the Camaro to be a performance benchmark with a V6. Also, Camaro is pre-production, almost like Motor Trend wanted to test the pre-production.

This comparison is like taking a Silverado V6 and putting it up against a Tacoma. Here is how the copy will read:

First Place: Toyota Tacoma

The Tacoma handles small loads better than the Silverado. It can tow the 2 seadoos just as well to the lake, has better gas mileage and is just scrumptious while driving.

Second Place: Chevy Silverado

The Silverado is big and bulky and the smaller loads slide around in it's huge bed. Weighing hundreds of pounds more than the Tacoma, it still pulls the seadoos but mileage suffers greatly. Handling is burdensome and the plastics are hard.

How is this like comparing a Tacoma and Silverado? The Genesis Coupe and Camaro actually compete with one another and, whether you like it or not, they're going to be compared to each other. The Tacoma is, size and price-wise, competition for the Colorado, if you can show me any comparison between the Tacoma and Silverado, I'd love to see it.

I could see your issue if the Genesis Coupe were FWD, but it isn't. Its a RWD V6 coupe, just like the base Camaro. Not MT's fault the Camaro is 8 inches longer, 2 inches wider and 300 pounds heavier.

So since the Camaro is huge, it cannot be compared to anything else? The test wasn't "Biggest engine available" it was "V6" so there is absolutely no reason to discredit it other than a huge amount of bias on your part.

Nobody is going to cross shop a Tacoma and Silverado, people will cross shop the Genesis Coupe and Camaro.

After the Cobalt is paid off, I'm hoping that a Genesis 2.0T Track isn't too far out of reach. Of all the new cars available, it's the only one that's really snagged my interest. Otherwise, I would stick with used for a another decade. :P

Per the results, it's not terribly surprising. The Genesis is smaller and lighter, of course its going to perform better. Even then, it's not a runaway winner. The review was mostly fair and both cars seem spectacular. You can't really go wrong with either them, it's mostly a choice of style and preference.

Your comparison is illogical. The Tacoma and Silverado dont compete in size, price or market. The Camaro and Genesis Coupe do. Next are you going to say the Mustang doesn't compete with the Camaro because the Camaro is larger and has a bigger available engine?

The Hyundai Genesis, sedan and coupe, look ready to thrive, if only in low volume in light of fuel economy and emissions regulations. While the Camaro scored slightly higher real-world fuel economy than the Genesis, Hyundai's numbers will get better when it adds such technology as gas direct-injection. The 2010 Chevy Camaro is a beautiful tribute to our automotive past. If there is a future for rear-drive sport coupes, it's in a car like the Hyundai Genesis.

So... The future is to be driven by fuel economy regs... The Camaro scores better in that respect, yet it is still a "nod to the past" while the less appealing (the authors are apologizing for the fuel economy shortcomings of the Genesis in the same breath -- too bad Detroit never gets the luxury of the media defending their shortcomings) Genesis wins the comparison?

Typical...

Hyundai will now be elevated above Detroit (as per the plan)

As Chazman has said previously in the tone that GM erred on the heavier side when they went ahead with this Camaro. Yes they did a spectacular job with the chasis and handling and surprisingly with its performance. When compared to the lot lighter and equally powerful Hyundai, Camaro only looses not more than 2/10th in acceleration numbers which is an achievement. But its weight is going to be a handling factor when it comes to comparing cars in this class. And it will be compared to the Genesis.

The RS package would have helped in the handling department had the Camaro in the comparo been equipped with it, but it would have also skewed the price game. Overall I will not call a bias because Camaro may have emotional bonds, but Hyundai is today's choice. Had GM team took care of the weight and size aspect, we would not have to call bias and victory would have been outright. I hope GM brings in Alpha soon enough to start putting cars on weight diet.

I know people that have cross-shopped the Silverado and the Tacoma. Yeah, it may be a bit out of reach compared to this current comparison. But, I just don't see the Camaro being a competitor to the Hyundai kind of like how you don't see the Tacoma being a competitor to the Silverado.

The Camaro is bigger and has bigger engines available and the V6 is not a track car like the Hyundai with the track package.

So... The future is to be driven by fuel economy regs... The Camaro scores better in that respect, yet it is still a "nod to the past" while the less appealing (the authors are apologizing for the fuel economy shortcomings of the Genesis in the same breath -- too bad Detroit never gets the luxury of the media defending their shortcomings) Genesis wins the comparison?

That is the only Bias factor in this comparo which is irrelevant. You do not vote for present with What ifs factor. We can also add what if next Alpha Camaro then it is better than Hyundai. Grow up Motortrend!

Your comparison is illogical. The Tacoma and Silverado dont compete in size, price or market. The Camaro and Genesis Coupe do. Next are you going to say the Mustang doesn't compete with the Camaro because the Camaro is larger and has a bigger available engine?

well... i got a buddy who got out of his 2004 silverado ext cab z71 for a 2006 tacoma doublecab long bed... his reasoning was for fuel economy. so now he gets about 4mpg more and pays $60 more a month while still having to buy gas.

not tryin to start an arguement just sayin.

fwiw he owned a 2001 tacoma but it got totalled so he got the 1500. now hes back in a tacoma.

Maybe, just maybe the Hyundai was slightly better in this test. Besides, these tests aren't much to get worked up about anyways; how many Camaro V6's and Genesis' are going to actually be 'driven' like they were in the reviews.

>>"I know people that have cross-shopped the Silverado and the Tacoma."<<

Here also- a buddy was ready to sign for the nissan (smaller pickup- whatever it's called) to replace his S-10, but upon some nudging by his friends who drive Silverados, he compared the Silverado V-6 and bought it instead.

So much for that theory.

In the high-impact world of sports coupes, where emotion tends to rise MUCH closer to the surface of consideration than maybe with any other sector..... just look at that opening pic! One car looks like a droopy early '90s sporty/econo car, and the other visually knocks you over like a firehose and has more heritage from day 1 than just about any other car. IMO, these 2 will NOT be cross-shopped just as much as the 3-series & CTS supposedly aren't cross-shopped.

Another 'absolute' that needs to be dropped is : more weight always = worse handling. Esp when we are talking about only a few hundred lbs.

Typical...

The plan! the plan!

fantasyislandtattoo.jpg

Dare I ask what plan?

The Camaro should win on looks alone. O if it were only as simple. But if I were in the market I know who would get my money.

Edited by FloydHendershot

In the high-impact world of sports coupes, where emotion tends to rise MUCH closer to the surface of consideration than maybe with any other sector..... just look at that opening pic! One car looks like a droopy early '90s sporty/econo car, and the other visually knocks you over like a firehose and has more heritage from day 1 than just about any other car. IMO, these 2 will NOT be cross-shopped just as much as the 3-series & CTS supposedly aren't cross-shopped.

Another 'absolute' that needs to be dropped is : more weight always = worse handling. Esp when we are talking about only a few hundred lbs.

Subjective.

I'm not entirely sure what 'early '90s econo' cars you're looking at... I'm probably far more in tune with what the '90s had to offer and nothing comes to mind bearing any resemblance whatsoever. Celica? Nope. Prelude? Not a chance. 240SX? Hardly. Probe? That's a funny one. MX6? Perhaps after a few bottles of Vodka. Grand Am? Might as well start smoking crack in addition to the Vodka to see a resemblance. Corrado? Okay, okay... That's enough.

I wouldn't say the Genesis' design is revolutionary by any means, but its not terrible. Its a fairly attractive sports coupe. Besides, what about the opening pic is flattering to either car? The Camaro is too dark to see any details of the design besides the snout cut-out around the headlights.

Edited by blackviper8891

I would compare the Camaro to the Mustang and Challenger, not the Genesis. I would compare the Genesis to the Eclipse, the Accord V6 coupe, or the Altima V6 coupe, but not quite the Infiniti or 370Z.

Either of the three American cars would get my money before the Hyundai, but the little Korean ain't bad.

Edited by ocnblu

I'm not entirely sure what 'early '90s econo' cars you're looking at... I'm probably far more in tune with what the '90s had to offer and nothing comes to mind bearing any resemblance whatsoever. Celica? Nope. Prelude? Not a chance. 240SX? Har...

Not specifically, just stylistically generally. It has that low, droopy nose & time-worn 'angry lights / trapedzoidal grille' we've been looking at since the '90s. Look again at a -say- '94 accord : same shapes, same low hood, same angled hood lines, same under-bumper openings.... it's 15 years later and we're still dealing with a reshuffling of the same damned tired elements. 'Not revolutionary' ?? No, not even remotely.

I can understand the Genesis isn't going to appeal to most on this forum over the Camaro for the shear sake of the styling. We all know it's no Camaro in the styling department. With that said, its only one possible fault. As impressive as the Camaro is without considering its styling, it is, perhaps, even more impressive that the Genesis can compete with it, let alone outperform it in a comparison such as MT's. It's been said that GM can make a world class vehicle... when it feels like it. But Hyundai?! Do you remember what they were making just 15 years ago? To come from that, to competing with arguably the best bunch of sports car Detroit has had to offer in a while, as well as the best from Japan and Europe... It's pretty surprising. Pontiac could have greatly benefited from its own Genesis coupe.

Again, I don't think this comparison has any real loser. It was fairly close with it being decided on a slight performance edge and a few minor nitpicks. It speaks greatly about both vehicles.

I can understand the Genesis isn't going to appeal to most on this forum over the Camaro for the shear sake of the styling. We all know it's no Camaro in the styling department. With that said, its only one possible fault. As impressive as the Camaro is without considering its styling, it is, perhaps, even more impressive that the Genesis can compete with it, let alone outperform it in a comparison such as MT's. It's been said that GM can make a world class vehicle... when it feels like it. But Hyundai?! Do you remember what they were making just 15 years ago? To come from that, to competing with arguably the best bunch of sports car Detroit has had to offer in a while, as well as the best from Japan and Europe... It's pretty surprising. Pontiac could have greatly benefited from its own Genesis coupe.

asside from it being a hyundai... i sort of see it as the new

BTR00143C_we4_passside.jpg

:duck:

its underestimated and its a lil under the radar. (i'd rather have that WE4 everyday of the week though.)

No denying that hyundai has come a long way, but...

.. I still wouldn't be caught dead with the keys to one in my pocket. :P

Seriously, I give them a lot of credit for building a car that apparently stacks up well to the Camaro. But I'll never understand the Japanese/Korean design philosophy that states that equates "different" to "ugly". I don't see the Genesis as anything more than a mishmash of miscellaneous stillborn designs from previous Hyundai efforts. None of the body lines make any sense to me. The whole thing just comes off...awkward, and I'll gladly take the supposed performance penalty that comes with the Camaro and have a car that's not an eyesore.

because crowds of people are going to line up to look at your scoupe if you pull up into the restaurant parking lot. no one will remember the scoupe coupe 20 years from now. you wouldn't even have a clue what asian make it was (prob chinese of all things) if it didn't have a badge on it. seriously.

car and driver said the scoupe large was unrefined.

for me, the only demerits to the camaro are about 200 extra pounds and a dash that needs a redo.

you know the zeta will take punishment so i am okay with the extra 200 pounds. i can buy that car and know 10 years from now it will be solid and not a limp noodle. i lack any belief the hyundai can handle hard driving long term.

but in the end, the genesis is not adequate in styling. its only calling card is that it is new. its the same thing as if you see a new young chick walk in the bar. she's new and different and young. but she is probably not as hot as the hottest cougar you've enjoyed for years.

by the way, the hyundai's front end has 56% of the weight on it, the camaro only 52%. the camaro has better balance.

what's laughable is that if the tiburon XL had a mitsubishi badge on it, folks would be ripping it.

Edited by regfootball

The RS package would have helped in the handling department had the Camaro in the comparo been equipped with it, but it would have also skewed the price game.

How so? Is not the current RS package an appearence only package just as it has always been since 1967??

Clyde

I like both, and while the Camaro's sexy lines call out to me more, I would be happy to have both parking in my driveway, along side a GT500 and a SMS Challenger.

Hey I can dream.

Passed by the Hyundai dealership this evening...they had a few...must check out.

How so? Is not the current RS package an appearence only package just as it has always been since 1967??

Clyde

For RS package offers wider rear tires and summer only tires, which will be gummier than the regular all weather 18/19" found on LTs. Hence the statement.

The Camaro wasn't designed for its all-out performance in its V6 version while the Genesis was. When has anyone ever been truly excited about the maximum performance of held within a V6 Camaro or Mustang? This comparison is valid because Chevrolet just happens to offer their car, which was purpose-built to hold a V8 under its hood, with a V6 as a base model for those wanting nothing more. If an unbiased consumers were in the market for a sporty V6, should they not have all V6 cars to choose from? Would they not have the Genesis on the same list? Would they like to find out for themselves which is the better car based on what they hold important in V6 offerings?

I guess the rationale here is that the Camaro should be better just because it exists.

No denying that hyundai has come a long way, but...

my point exactly. just because some ugly duckling is now an up and comer still doesn't mean its the best option against the one that set the standard.

its all about some people wanting to find the 'next big thing'. take off that hyundai badge and put a mitsubishi badge on it and people wouldn't give a &#036;h&#33;. the eclipse BTW is better looking etc., just as fast, only thing the wrong wheels are driving the car for a true sports coupe. For me even its not an issue there as i know any of the eclispe and other chimpokemon coupes like the accord and altima are just as quick.

Edited by regfootball

Typical...

funny you mention this. in car and driver's comparo, the scoupe coupe got 1 mpg better on their combined loop (which was likely like 300 miles or something, not enough to get the true mpg). the camaro's highway epa is 3 mpg better than the tiburon XL, yet, the gave one more point for the tibby than the camaro. if you look at the gearing its flat out obvious the camaro will far exceed on a long road trip what the scoupe coupe will get in 6th at highway speeds. so i find it laughable to even suggest the mpg issue is anything but a draw. the fact that the camaro does over 10 percent better on the highway loop while weighing more is that much more appealing because once the car is up to speed say at 75 mph, the weight of the car becomes less of an issue than the torque level and drag in that 6th gear to maintain cruising speed. the mpg an owner gets in town with the stick will be more about how much throttle the driver gives it rather than anything else.

the hyundai is a great car but all it does is meet a techinical standard. its design as well as the sedan is ubitquitous and while handsome in both guises if it didn't have a badge on it, you would think its any asian rim product.

you don't need a badge to know you are looking at a camaro or mustang or nissan z.

the genesis coupe is lighter but 56% of the weight is in front, its the engine. subtract that and i really think what you have is an underengineered chassis for hormonally charged youths that will beat the &#036;h&#33; out of this car and probably find out that a car engineered for a v8 that is built to take punishment may be a better proposition long term. look at pictures under the hood of the tibby xl, do you think those stampings are near as robust as the camaro?

no where yet have i read the scoupe coupe has been tested extensively on the track or in racing so i should believe the car won't be a wet noodle in 4 years.

Edited by regfootball

well... i got a buddy who got out of his 2004 silverado ext cab z71 for a 2006 tacoma doublecab long bed... his reasoning was for fuel economy. so now he gets about 4mpg more and pays $60 more a month while still having to buy gas.

not tryin to start an arguement just sayin.

fwiw he owned a 2001 tacoma but it got totalled so he got the 1500. now hes back in a tacoma.

it got totalled before the frame rusted out?

it got totalled before the frame rusted out?

never had a chance. he got hit head on by a lincoln navigator one day coming to school.it was one of those rare times we get snow down here in SC and it demolished the toyo of course. this was in feb of 04 i think.

my point exactly. just because some ugly duckling is now an up and comer still doesn't mean its the best option against the one that set the standard.

its all about some people wanting to find the 'next big thing'. take off that hyundai badge and put a mitsubishi badge on it and people wouldn't give a &#036;h&#33;. the eclipse BTW is better looking etc., just as fast, only thing the wrong wheels are driving the car for a true sports coupe. For me even its not an issue there as i know any of the eclispe and other chimpokemon coupes like the accord and altima are just as quick.

Because a Hyundai badge has had so much merit? :huh:

It has nothing to do with the badge. The Genesis would not lose a single ounce of attention whether if it were a Ford, Mitsubishi, Toyota, or even a brain zapping Yugo. To discredit this car with such a statement is absurd. A company goes out and makes a world-class car, shattering the less than stellar stigma this company has... and suddenly this company's badge means something. Well. The Genesis really has done its job. It's brought the crazies out of the woodwork who insist its badge dilutes the mind of all whom show interest. Fascinating, Reg, truly fascinating.

Oh, and the Eclipse is a tub of lard. It doesn''t deserve being mentioned in the same reign as either car in this comparison. Next.

Edited by blackviper8891

ford chevy chrysler etc routinely build a car like this for 4-5 decades and hyundai builds one and all of a sudden the fact that they can finally compete should mean a gold medal? again, so they proved they could build one. one that does not even have styling to go with the performance.

this reminds me of like the insignia TV's at best buy. the sony's and panasonics of the world basically define the direction of the market. then, at some point somebody rebadges a 2nd tier brand offering with a store brand badge and people get wet because they think its the real thing.

basically people, the supra from 10-15 years ago still eclipsed the performance of this hyundai, and the rx-8 if it had a piston engine in it would kick the snot out of this thing. No one in their right mind would take the hyundai over the rx-8 or the supra.

a used lexus original coupe with the inline 6 is prob a nicer car than this hyundai.

so lets not crown the baby king yet, he's just barely learned to piss in a toilet without a diaper.

hyundais top offering musclecar manages to be able to play with a base camaro.. well, everyone, give up your entire value system because Britney is sober again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take away hyundais dirt cheap labor and i would be shocked if they can produce this wonderfully mediocre car.

salute the company for making this achievement, but getting to the dance doesn't make you the prom king just for being there.

Edited by regfootball