Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GMNA to Undergo Major Capacity Reduction

jd2b

You didn't read what I wrote, did you?

A 2.0T with Tiptronic is rated by VW at around 7.4s 0 -60. A Camry LE or XLE, with the 3.0L V6 is slightly slower.

But, a Camry V6 SE, with the 3.3L V6 has been tested by various magazines to a 0 - 60 of 7s flat, and some mags like C & D have gotten high 6's 0 - 60.

Obviously the 3.6L Passat will be faster, because it will have more power.

But, like mentioned previously, lets compare what we have NOW, not what is to come in the future.

[post="47113"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

damn, i was close on guessing the passat time.......CAR AND DRIVER DECEMBER 2005 CAMRY V6 0-60 IN 7.6 MY GOD IT DOES NOT GET MORE CURRENT THAN DECEMBER 2005 ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by regfootball

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

time will prove the sonata is still a poseur car that will not last much beyond 5 years.

[post="46861"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It won't last beyond 5 years I agree. Because it will be all-new again in 5 years.

will your sonata get 5 star side imapct ratings WITHOUT its side airbags?

[post="46861"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A moot point as SAB is standard in the Sonata. Something that, say, Malibu cannot claim.

i own and aztek.  yup, its UGLY.  but owners LOVE them, talk to some of them.  is the vehicle bad then?  Not at all, owners swear by them.  But the press took one aspect about them, the looks, and turned it into a poster child and smear campaign, to the point of such negative connotation it could have damaged the Pontiac brand and GM forever.  But my God, the vehicle is great (pushrods and all), owners are happy.  The looks and bad press killed sales.  and then it got amplified to the point where its ridiculous. 

Does a whole company need to brought down to extinction in the court of public opinion due to journalistic excess?

GM has a sale....OH MY GOD, giving people deals is BAD!!!!!!!!

GM put out an ugly car....OH MY THE SKY IS FALLING!

GM is having labor issues.....WE BETTER DO ALL WE CAN IN THE MEDIA TO GUARANTEE THE STOCK PRICE WILL PLUMMET.

the media needs to report the news, not be the news.

the topic is major capacity reduction and WHAT I AM SAYInG is part of this end result of having to close it all down is due to journalistic excess and the fact that the differences between asians and americans RIGHT NOW are marginal, if even worth discussing, and its a GODDAMN CRYING SHAME WE'VE ALLOWED THE PRESS TO FORM OUR OPINONS TO THE POINT WHERE WE WANT GM TO FAIL BECAUSE THEIR DOOR HANDLE CHROME DOESN'T SHINE AS BIRGHTLY AS A TOYOTA WHEN IN FACT IN PRoBABLY OTHERWISE COMPARES JUST FINE

[post="47278"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

AMEN!!!

Couldn't put GM back together again.

Nope, not when the king himself wants GM to fail.

this 30,00 job cut thing is a big volley to the UAW in terms of opening negotiations for the next contract. between that and the delphi thing......GM is throwing out all it can to position themselves to go to war on those contract talks. my guess if the UAW does not give in a major way, that they will scale back even more and go ahead and say, 'we'll be fine with 20% share, go ahead toyota, etc. have the rest' and we'll see even more non union plants go up in the south. then, over time, this will happen. the union MAY actually start to get some of these new asian plants unionized. secondly, as toyota, for example, grows to 25% or more market share, they will bear the brunt of criticism from the press and such. Folks seeking lawsuits will target toyota, this they haven't been to used to before..having to staff up to deal with that stuff. Next, the inevitable huge recall because of mone mistake ALA Explorer, GM side saddle gas tanks etc. Toyota has not been hit with a consumer issue like that yet. How would they fight it/respond? Next, if their share increases to 25-30%, all of sudden toyotas are a dime a dozen, like Tauruses and Gm cars are now. I doubt the 'legendary toyota resale' will hold up at all. When toyota reaches the point where 'everybody's had or has one' then the mystique and such is gone. They will no longer be exclusive to yuppies and smart urbanites and professionals....the trailer trash in the next town will have a toyota, too. Will the crate and barrel set be upset when auction values for used Toyos hit the skids? Then we'll see disintegration of the product. Once you hit the big show...you gotta work twice as hard to keep those production levels up there. Will quality take a hit? All those American suppliers, can they match the reveled quality of the homeland ricemakers? Will they have to pump incentives and dump into fleets to justify keeping those all new plants running enough to make money? Toyota, you asked for it....I hope you can handle it. GM may just be scaling back for 5-10 years to sit in the weeds, regain the ability to make profit, and rid themsleves of outdated labor issues.

:hijacked:

Seriously, regfootball, this isn't the time or place to discuss your Ford 500. Take it up someplace else.

[post="47594"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

hmmm, all my posts were responses to provocations......in case you hadn't noticed, i haven't posted anything anymore because i wasn't going to, but if you are going to go and get all 'I'm the policeman' here then i will post one more thing......

"blow it out your piehole"

does it feel good to be dressed in a little self created AUTHORITY?

-goodbye, good day

I agree that I hope this site doesnt turn into GMI. My kettering degree means nothing, well not as much as a GMI would have. I also own an Aztek and I love it. GM did a bang up job on that one, and the back end is pretty cool, I can hook a tent up to it. But seriously, I see the problem in these threads alone. We have 6+ pages of Ford vs the Asian competitors and noone even brings up the Pontiac G6, the Chevy Malibu (well except me), the Chevy Impala, Cadillac CTS( at current deals, you can get one really cheap), Pontiac Grand Prix, and etc... How can we blame the media for not liking GM, when us, the biggest fans and toughest critics couldnt even throw one of the General's vehicles into the equation. No wonder why people dont think of GM, we don't either. And with all the guests visiting this site, they see what we wrote and probably think a Camry or 500 is great to get, because we listed all the features and pros for them. Just my two cents.

it shows we're reasonable and willing to be objective, even though it's in the wrong place [not this thread, even though I am being off-topic now too, and usually am off-topic anyways], at least it shows we can hold intelligent [most of the time ;)] conversations and make intelligent judgement calls that are not all that biased. Edited by turbo200

I agree that I hope this site doesnt turn into GMI.  My kettering degree means nothing, well not as much as a GMI would have.

I also own an Aztek and I love it.  GM did a bang up job on that one, and the back end is pretty cool, I can hook a tent up to it. 

But seriously, I see the problem in these threads alone.  We have 6+ pages of Ford vs the Asian competitors and noone even brings up the Pontiac G6, the Chevy Malibu (well except me), the Chevy Impala, Cadillac CTS( at current deals, you can get one really cheap), Pontiac Grand Prix, and etc...  How can we blame the media for not liking GM, when us, the biggest fans and toughest critics couldnt even throw one of the General's vehicles into the equation. No wonder why people dont think of GM, we don't either.  And with all the guests visiting this site, they see what we wrote and probably think a Camry or 500 is great to get, because we listed all the features and pros for them.

Just my two cents.

[post="47658"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good point

I agree that I hope this site doesnt turn into GMI.  My kettering degree means nothing, well not as much as a GMI would have.

[post="47658"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

GMI is GM Inside News, a board similar, but inferior, to C&G. GMI doesn't have the good insiders or the good ideas and relatively calm discussions as there are here. Edited by ehaase

GM makes very good cars, my point the whole time is that there are forces and prejudices that are unfairly causing people to ignore what's great with American cars. I guess that's all i was trying to say. and its gotten to the point where those forces are so bad, its hurting one of our great American economic engines. I just want folks to drive and consider American cars too, and not feel guilty, bad, or inferior if they like them and want to own one. I don't think the public and media should force people into making their decisions for them. that is what I was trying to realte in this topic....'the spin' has gotten out of hand.

Even today, while having lunch at work, another employee told me that she was going to replace her 1992 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight with a Honda or Toyota truck or minivan. She said that the American cars just don't have the quality. She told me she goes by the ratings in Consumer Reports. She said that her neighbors had problem after problem with their new Avalanche. Nothing I told her could convince her the GM (and Ford) build good quality vehicles.

Even today, while having lunch at work, another employee told me that she was going to replace her 1992 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight with a Honda or Toyota truck or minivan.  She said that the American cars just don't have the quality.  She told me she goes by the ratings in Consumer Reports.  She said that her neighbors had problem after problem with their new Avalanche. Nothing I told her could convince her the GM (and Ford) build good quality vehicles.

[post="47712"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you should have asked her if she sees any 92 camrys still on the road.

Without reading the rest of the two pages (i'm on page 4 of 6 now that I can tell) I'd say tha AH-HA is right. This is nothing more than General Motors going public about what they normally do in buy-outs. They target 20k to 25k per year in attrition as well as buy-outs. My family was worried Livonia Engine would shut down. But, GM is doing nothing more than they normally do. They are just focusing their cuts in certain places to make the 'Streets happy. Wagoner has done a good job putting up a smoke screen.

Without reading the rest of the two pages (i'm on page 4 of 6 now that I can tell) I'd say tha AH-HA is right.

This is nothing more than General Motors going public about what they normally do in buy-outs. They target 20k to 25k per year in attrition as well as buy-outs.

My family was worried Livonia Engine would shut down. But, GM is doing nothing more than they normally do. They are just focusing their cuts in certain places to make the 'Streets happy.

Wagoner has done a good job putting up a smoke screen.

[post="47859"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have never heard of any company announcing that one of its plants will close in 3 years. Some of the news may have been gravy for Wall Street but either way GM does have too much capacity.

There has been much talk about what will happen at Oshawa when the Lacrosse and GP are discontinued. Lacrosse will be built on Epsilon 2, meanwhile Oshawa 2 will be converted to C-Flex, or just flexible manufacturing. It will most likely build RWD cars on the Zeta or Sigma Lite platform. Camaro could be built there, along with a large RWD sedan for Chevy probably named Impala.

Autoweek says Camaro concept will be on stretched Kappa platform. Fbodfather has aready said that the concept chassis will not be what the production Camaro will be on. Production Camaro will be on a platform using parts from sigma and zeta, and probably be called zeta.