3.9L detuned... again??

Since the new rating system has to be done with everything connected to the engine that could rob power, I'm guessing that some power is lost because of something that has to do with the convertible top. Just a guess, but that's what I'd venture to say is the reason.

oh who cares about HP!?! Really people it's Torque that is important. In the previous Jetta, the standard 4 cylinder had about 115 hp. The TDI had 90hp. They both did 0-60 in about 10 seconds. Say "227 hp is just pathetic" three times and then stop and think at how rediculous that sounds when the Camry is 189hp. Another point. Stop comparing engine displacement to HP. You want a 220hp Honda S2000 engine in your G6 convertible, be my guest. I'll be laughing at you growing smaller in the rearview mirror driving a "pathetic" Lucerne V6 anyday.

Guys... the conv has been rating as this for as long as I can remember. So, it's nothing new. I don't know why its lower for the conv. That and I'll agree with Oldsmoboi... Torque matters more as it is more useful for daily driving. Still... wouldn't you just love to have the S2000's 237hp engine with... 170 or so lb/ft torque? :lol:

Guys... the conv has been rating as this for as long as I can remember. So, it's nothing new. I don't know why its lower for the conv. That and I'll agree with Oldsmoboi... Torque matters more as it is more useful for daily driving.

Still... wouldn't you just love to have the S2000's 237hp engine with... 170 or so lb/ft torque? :lol:

[post="46325"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

@ 2,000,000,000 rpm

oh who cares about HP!?!  Really people it's Torque that is important.

In the previous Jetta, the standard 4 cylinder had about 115 hp. The TDI had 90hp. They both did 0-60 in about 10 seconds.

Say "227 hp is just pathetic" three times and then stop and think at how rediculous that sounds when the Camry is 189hp.

Another point. Stop comparing engine displacement to HP. You want a 220hp Honda S2000 engine in your G6 convertible, be my guest. I'll be laughing at you growing smaller in the rearview mirror driving a "pathetic" Lucerne V6 anyday.

[post="46312"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay, first of all, the 3.3L Camry SE puts out 210hp. Secondly, the Camry is being redesigned and will certainly feature more hp than its current models. This is GM's excitement devision, and it's supposed to spark some enthusiasm. We have 250 and 260hp versions of the Altima. Hell, we have a 235hp Sonata!

When you try to make something sporty, and put something out that's rather half-assed, as is this IMO, then you're just continually setting yourself up for either failure or mediocrity. Then again, the G6 is that, at best.

The G6 Convertible still has the most power of this segment + plus a retractible hardtop.

G6 227hp > Camry Solara 210hp > Sebring 200hp

[post="46480"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, GM is doing a fine job then... it took them years to catch up to the competition and in what, 6months, a year or two? The competition will blow them away. :rolleyes:

The G6 Convertible still has the most power of this segment + plus a retractible hardtop.

G6 227hp > Camry Solara 210hp > Sebring 200hp

[post="46480"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Gotta correct you there. Camry Solara's 225HP with the 3.3L V6.

But wait... the G6 is in that size class, but not quite directly competing against it... The G6 should be competing in the even higher performance classes.

Gotta correct you there. Camry Solara's 225HP with the 3.3L V6.

But wait... the G6 is in that size class, but not quite directly competing against it... The G6 should be competing in the even higher performance classes.

[post="46524"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The G6 competes directly with Camry. The G6 conv will compete with the Solara.

I was seriously thinking the 3800, better engine and more oomph! (despite the lower ratings)

[post="46619"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well by now we know the 3800 is on it's way out. It's an emissions issue more than anything...but the 90 degree design does give much torque...not sure about hp besides super charged. I would agree that the 3.9 is detuned...in my opinion (beyond detuned) I could be wrong, but I believe it has a STEEL CRANK. This would mean it could have a very high redline if allowed to do so. It seams to me GM holds back too much on what it's engines are really capable of...too conservative for todays "take a risk" markets.

oh who cares about HP!?!  Really people it's Torque that is important.

In the previous Jetta, the standard 4 cylinder had about 115 hp. The TDI had 90hp. They both did 0-60 in about 10 seconds.

Say "227 hp is just pathetic" three times and then stop and think at how rediculous that sounds when the Camry is 189hp.

Another point. Stop comparing engine displacement to HP. You want a 220hp Honda S2000 engine in your G6 convertible, be my guest. I'll be laughing at you growing smaller in the rearview mirror driving a "pathetic" Lucerne V6 anyday.

[post="46312"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You must be joking! a 3900 lb Lucerne powered by a detuned 197 hp 3800 with lazy 2.86:1 gears. This car is a slug and won't even peel out it's front tires when floored. I know cause I test drove a V6 CXL yesterday with no salesman on board. My 2000 Lesabre with 205 hp series II motor and 3.05:1 gears and 3500 lbs of weight would eat this thing for breakfast. This is progress?

Well by now we know the 3800 is on it's way out. It's an emissions issue more than anything...but the 90 degree design does give much torque...not sure about hp besides super charged. I would agree that the 3.9 is detuned...in my opinion (beyond detuned) I could be wrong, but I believe it has a STEEL CRANK. This would mean it could have a very high redline if allowed to do so. It seams to me GM holds back too much on what it's engines are really capable of...too conservative for todays "take a risk" markets.

[post="46637"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 3800 has an emissions issue? It's rated SULEV in the LaCrosse! :unsure:

[post="46637"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

and what do you expect the crankshaft to made of??

A car like this will not have a forged crank......but it does have forged con rods.

Its the exhaust people! Extra braces that convertibles often cut a few hp. Nothing wrong with 227hp

OK, this seems to explain it.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/produ...20%28LZ9%29.pdf

The 3.9L in the Convertible is tuned for peak torque at 3000, whereas the others are 4000+. It seems that Pontiac applications are always tuned for low end torque.

[post="48044"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That makes no sense, because in the other Pontiac applications, G6 sedan and coupe, the rpms are at 4000 for not-so-low-end torque. So I wouldn't call it a tuning thing... just for one version of the same vehicle... I'd really go with more like what others suggest, that it has something to do with it being fitted to the convertible.

Well this works out good this way, someone will always find something to whine about. The Jap motors are more high tuned and GM engines are very modestly tuned. 10 15 20 hp is nothing. Jap cars have higher final drive ratios, GM's have desert gears. potato, potato most drivers rarely use more than 100. I just hang my head in shame everytime Im sitting at a stop light and know that ricer next to me has 12.8795201 more hp than me. :( Incidently GM had been leading the V6 game with the Buick engine right up until recently, but whine away, whine away This grandpa wants to race :D