Impala SS Dead, Models Lose some Uniqueness.

hmmm... i thought they quit making REAL impalas in 96 :scratchchin:

at least now when the badges are off it wont be false advertising...

(and)

Amen Cletus! :yes:

(and)

The most accurate statment here.

*raises eyebrow*

Wait ... what? I'm not the only one with this thought process? ;)

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I see clearly now" ... Nelly ... 'Over and Over'

• 2 weeks later...
Well the Bu is a smaller car as that is what it is ment to be. It is equal to most in its class in size and equipment

I own the best W body that was made and can say the Malibu is light years ahead and more competitive than any W body in what GM needs a car to be.

Handling in my Comp G is goods but the ride is stiff. The steering is not better or worse than a Bu with the 18 inch wheel package.

My GP has no rear seat arm rest and the trunk is not much larger than the Bu.

The feel quailty and refindment are what define a car to most people anymore before they move on to trivial things like rear seat arm rest. If the car is old and out dated they will never check the small details anyways.

The 3.8 has served it's duty but it needs to be retired. The 3.6 is a great engine and the fuel economy will improve with the addition of DI. The first Bu did not get this since it was not ready yet.

As for reliable the W body is not that. Just check with the techs at your dealers. I am going to have to replace my intermediate shaft in my steering for a second time because the simple shaft is worn our again after 35,000 mile a common preoblem with the present W body. I have electric powersteering on my Chevy and at this point it has been trouble free and most people who have trouble have blown a fuse in incorrect jump starting.

I am not saying the W is a bad car. It was a good car time has passed by and represents an area GM lags behind in. GM needs a Impala replacment soon as this is a car that makes money and sells in volume. In other words GM needs to catch up as even with the small problems you precieve on the Bu it is still the only one of the two that can meet the imports head to head.

While I applaud you for your currant ride, you are either unaware or misinformed as to the currant engine line-up. GM has ceased production of the 3800 series II or III this was the much maligned though loved Buick derivative. I have personally observed 3800's with 500k mi lets see the Twin Dual cams er Dbl overhead cams match that.

The engine in the Imp is a 60* not 90* like the 3800. It is the corporate FWD V6 that traces its roots back to the Citation 2.8L then 3.1L a short run as the Twin Dual cam 3.4L afterwords 3.4L and now the new wizz bang 3.5L/3.9L HV with VVT VIV & Active Fuel Management

Good links for reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Value_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

I hope this clears things up / sorry if I may have touched a nerve but as a mechanic this kind of confusion can ruin reputations and car corp.s.

the SS was not a true SS. It was not a major factor in sales since most Impala sales are fleet and lesser models.

This is no loss as was the GXP GP.

I would watch for a FWD replacment here in the near future as it is needed and I would watch for a limited number od RWD V8 Caprices from Holden after the present supply of G8 sedans are finally gone.

What's amazing is that Chevy starting putting a $h!load of SS Impalas in the rental fleets. Seemed there for a good while, all the "fleet" Impalas (with the barcode in the glass) were SS models....I was shocked....