"Controversial question" - which gender-atypical occupation could you/would you do?

OK, this is a crazy question.

All of my college training deals is ultra-pratical -- how things go together and how to look at/evaluate money. Society stereotypes certain jobs as male (miner) and certain jobs as female (make-up artist), for example.

Is there an occupation typical of the other gender that you could do, or would do?

Since I asked the question, I'll go first. I practically live at Borders or Barnes and Noble, so I could have been a librarian (work with books and information all day, and get paid for it). It's far from my first occupational choice, but it's the only one that comes to mind that is not a male dominated field, not by a long shot. But could you imagine dealing with frustrated anal-retentive spinsters all day long? (I'm stereotyping). That part wouldn't be fun.

Do you have a response?

Yes, i would love to take care of the house and the kids. I am kinda a slacker when it comes to making food and cleaning, but oh well, just well enough to make it look like i did something. I know its a ton of work, but i feel like it would be worth it. Plus i can teach my kids to be excellent video game players :D

sadly i have not found a girl who is willing to support my lazy ass to do so -_-

I do not know about me. But I know one hot blonde girl that works on one of these on one of my landfill job site.

Cat_365C_L_-_facing_left.jpg

Smokingly sexay. Let us just say that she can have a hoe down.

Yes, i would love to take care of the house and the kids. I am kinda a slacker when it comes to making food and cleaning, but oh well, just well enough to make it look like i did something. I know its a ton of work, but i feel like it would be worth it. Plus i can teach my kids to be excellent video game players :D

sadly i have not found a girl who is willing to support my lazy ass to do so -_-

At this point, I am the stay at home Dad (illness prevents me from working for the past year). It's not a bad gig. I don't do laundry, make dinner, or do any "heavy" cleaning, as my wife still prefers to be the one that does it. My daughters do dishes 4 to 5 nights of the week, my wife does it 1 to 2 nights of the week, and if I am having muscle loss issues, my wife even mows the lawn. It is not uncommon for my wife to work 50+ hours each week and she doesn't mind.

I still wash the trucks and . . . uhhh, and . . . uhhh . . . well I . . .

Really though, I volunteer for many local needs, like being on the budget committee for our city. Since UPS won't let me come back, I have been out looking for a job that fits with my degree in accounting. Not working isn't all bad, as I only make a few hundred less each month than when I worked at UPS, thanks to personal disability insurance.

I'll admit to being a slacker w/ housekeeping...which is why I have a yard service, pool service, and maid service (did when I was living in my condo also).

Libraries and books have long fascinated me, so a librarian--in a university research library --would be an interesting alternative reality career path for me.

Don't laugh, another one that is appealing to me would be to be a dog groomer.

Edited by Cubical

Just stay the course and go to law school. You'll fit right in. :P

I suppose I wouldn't mind cooking. There can be a certain art to it that gets lost when you've got to feed a room full of hungry mouths in between soccer practice, homework, etc. Ovens with timers can be a lifesaver. I've noticed that more men are taking it on, prefer to do it, and can even do a better job at it.

im a radiologic technologist (i take xrays), predominately female line of work (not a bad thing) but the worst part about it is... being called a nurse... :glare:

also hate it when people call me an xray technician. theres a difference. technicians only push a button. technologists do it all.

so if you come into anderson hospital and call me a nurse or a technician... expect no mercy or waiting for pain meds...

Since we're stereotyping people who work in specific careers, I'm a bit of a douchebag, does that mean I'd be a perfect architect?

Yes. Like mustang said, the number of douche bags in architecture (either impractical while in school or too full of themselves while in the work world) is too big to escape detection.

On another note, many of them work at looking weird. That hurts the way those "paying the freight" perceive them, in my mind. But tell them that...

At least most lawyers look like their billing rates...not that that's a good thing...

OK, this is a crazy question.

All of my college training deals is ultra-pratical -- how things go together and how to look at/evaluate money. Society stereotypes certain jobs as male (miner) and certain jobs as female (make-up artist), for example.

Is there an occupation typical of the other gender that you could do, or would do?

Since I asked the question, I'll go first. I practically live at Borders or Barnes and Noble, so I could have been a librarian (work with books and information all day, and get paid for it). It's far from my first occupational choice, but it's the only one that comes to mind that is not a male dominated field, not by a long shot. But could you imagine dealing with frustrated anal-retentive spinsters all day long? (I'm stereotyping). That part wouldn't be fun.

Do you have a response?

I don't get the premise of your question. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't associate certain jobs as "male" or "female" jobs. And makeup artist is DEFINITELY a "male" job judging by the people at the cosmetic counters at the mall.

Maybe this is one of those things that doesn't translate well from Italian to English?

I don't get the premise of your question. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't associate certain jobs as "male" or "female" jobs. And makeup artist is DEFINITELY a "male" job judging by the people at the cosmetic counters at the mall.

Could be...but there are certainly occupations, though, even today, that are predominantly male (construction worker, armed robber, computer programmer /software engineer (there are certainly women, but it's a tiny percentage), or predominantly female...

Edited by Cubical

And makeup artist is DEFINITELY a "male" job judging by the people at the cosmetic counters at the mall.

Maybe this is one of those things that doesn't translate well from Italian to English?

Or from looking at the credits at the end of a movie? But, still, you get the idea...

Funny @ the last comment...believe it or not, the stereotypes are fairly similar, with my relatives making smirky comments about male interior designers...

My attitude -- it's how YOU have to spend YOUR work day ... nobody needs to choose that for you.

Could be...but there are certainly occupations, though, even today, that are predominantly male (construction worker, armed robber, computer programmer /software engineer (there are certainly women, but it's a tiny percentage), or predominantly female...

2 things:

1) since when was being an armed robber a occupation? Unless i guess your hired by the government to go rob other countries banks... or if your an IRS agent :P

2) are you implying that females are not good at armed robbery? :ph34r:

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

2 things:

1) since when was being an armed robber a occupation? Unless i guess your hired by the government to go rob other countries banks... or if your an IRS agent :P

2) are you implying that females are not good at armed robbery? :ph34r:

I was joking about the armed robber, but when these guys are on the news, they always seem to be men. I wonder what they put down as 'occupation' on their 1040s...

Not sure if it's an occupation, per se, more of a hobby or supplimentary income thing, like selling stuff on ebay. I would assume most armed robbers have a normal job, and do crime occasionally for supplimentary income. :)

Edited by Cubical

Most serial killers are male, does that count as an occupation? It is an "activity in which one engages" which is the definition of an occupation.

I suppose that is more of a hobby than an occupation. An occupation is something that leads to a paycheck and taxes, usually.

oc⋅cu⋅pa⋅tion

   /ˌɒkyəˈpeɪʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ok-yuh-pey-shuhn] Show IPA

–noun

1. a person's usual or principal work or business, esp. as a means of earning a living; vocation: Her occupation was dentistry.

2. any activity in which a person is engaged.

3. possession, settlement, or use of land or property.

4. the act of occupying.

5. the state of being occupied.

6. the seizure and control of an area by military forces, esp. foreign territory.

7. the term of control of a territory by foreign military forces: Danish resistance during the German occupation.

8. tenure or the holding of an office or official function: during his occupation of the vice presidency.

I suppose that is more of a hobby than an occupation. An occupation is something that leads to a paycheck and taxes, usually.

What about prostitution? The 1040 moniker could be "exercise coach, sperm bank operator, mattress tester..." - a few others

It's an occupation but, for some, it might even be a hobby...using the logic: "do what you love, the money will come"

What about prostitution? The 1040 moniker could be "exercise coach, sperm bank operator, mattress tester..." - a few others

It's an occupation but, for some, it might even be a hobby...using the logic: "do what you love, the money will come"

Well, it is a legal occupation in some countries. 'sex worker' is the general category, like 'knowledge worker' is the category for my thing.