Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: GM CEO says future of Corvette secure

8 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sports/GTs, Supercars, Chevrolet

zr1-sam-2400-7_opt.jpg

According to Fritz Henderson, the recently-appointed CEO of General Motors, the future holds exciting things for Chevrolet's iconic sportscar. This news comes despite the admission late last year that development of the next-gen C7 Corvette platform was put on "indefinite hold, with no official or set timetable."

In a bit of good news for Corvette fans, Henderson asserts that the "Corvette pays its rent," meaning that it's a money-making operation for The General. Obviously, the longer the automaker can rely on the current C6 architecture, the more profitable it will likely be.

There's still no indication of when we'll see a new architecture underpinning the Corvette, but Henderson is quick to point out that the current C6 chassis is still an excellent unit to build off and one that's fully competitive with the best sportscars from around the world. Disagree? You've obviously never gotten behind the wheel of the latest ZR1.

[source: Autoweek]

GM CEO says future of Corvette secure originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 06 May 2009 15:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=ls_7wbmPxVQ:91Crz-SHzTI:wF9xT autoblog?i=ls_7wbmPxVQ:91Crz-SHzTI:V_sGL
ls_7wbmPxVQ

View the full article

Great news for Corvette fans like me. :gitfunky:

There's still a bit they could do to the C6 to make it even better, and have it still be relevant until the C7 is ready. An interior and exterior refresh is doable, and they haven't yet implemented DI, VVT, or AFM.

If the C6 platform is as good as suggested, why not give it some updates and design the C7 Corvette on it? The main goal would be to fix any shortcomings of the current C6 version. I would also add the technological updates that z28luvr01 mentioned above. With GM in dire financial straits, why spend the money on a new platform for a next gen Vette if the current platform will do nicely with some meaningful improvements and updates?

I also still think that GM should spin Corvette off as its own brand and pair it with Cadillac. I would even create a sub-C6 sports car for the brand off the Kappa platform (or a downsized Y-body) and add it the Bowling Green plant. Maybe this version of Kappa could generate a profit since GM could charge more for a Kappa product under the Corvette name than it could under either Pontiac or Saturn. Corvette would essentially become the American Porsche free of Chevrolet's affordable limitations.

Pontiac could then be slotted in as the affordable performance division and paired up with Chevrolet. A downsized and lightened version of Zeta could be used to create future products for Pontiac (as well as Holden and other global GM brands).

No spin-off.

Chevrolet Corvette = Car since 1953

Corvette by itself = warship

I never thought the Vette would be on the ropes yet. But never say never. Who thought we would be at this point last year....

The Vette is safe but we need to just expect the C6 top evolve for a good while and expect a lot of cosmetic changes.

The C7 I would say will be a evolution of the C6 just as the C6 was of the C5. GM will work with the car but do not expect any revolutional changes like a Mid engine etc.

The key to the Vette program is as long as Pratt & Miller has a contract to race in GT2 the Vette is safe. P&M loses the deal watch for cuts or curtailed Vette programs.

The Vette would be sold as a brand to someone else long before it was killed. The car has the name equity of a Harley. People buy them not only for performance but because of the name.

i think i would take a swing at the pope for a ZR1 in that orange :bowdown:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0