Motor Trend 2006 Car of the Year

Variance

DETROIT Nov 22, 2005 — The Honda Civic, which in its latest incarnation offers drivers a more sleek and upscale take on the popular compact car, has claimed the honor of 2006 Car of the Year from Motor Trend magazine.

All four new Civic models a sedan, a coupe, a high-performance model called the Si and a gasoline-electric hybrid were given the award.

"Honda deserves a standing ovation for not playing it safe again," Motor Trend's editor in chief, Angus MacKenzie, said in a statement Tuesday. "The engineering passion that Honda … was founded on radiates from these new Civics."

Motor Trend editors put the Civics through two weeks of track testing, performance drives and walk-around appraisals. The magazine chooses its top car based in part on value, standing in its class and significant developments.

"With their bold, contemporary styling and innovative technology, the new Civics are primed for success in one of the most competitive market segments in the country," Motor Trend said in its announcement.

Motor Trend picked its Car of the Year from a field of 28 new models, including the Audi A3, BMW 3 Series, Cadillac DTS, Chevrolet HHR, Dodge Charger, Ford Fusion, Mercedes-Benz R-Class, Pontiac Solstice, Toyota Avalon and the Volkswagen Jetta and Passat.

Last year's winner was the Chrysler 300, the uniquely styled sedan that attracted buyers from rappers to grandmothers. Last month, the publication named Nissan's Xterra its sport utility vehicle of the year.

Motor Trend plans to announce its truck of the year in December.

Posted Image

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well our top ten cars of 2005 (we didn't name a car of the year) will be out in the Dec/Jan issue - on stands around now but not sure with the holiday - All I can say is you guys will like #1. Without giving it away you might remember EIC Eddie Alterman's review of the vehicle as he drove it on Woodward. Dave PS-The Civic Si makes the #8 spot.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Did anybody expect anything different from them?

W T F ? ? ? All I have to say is: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Let's see... 2006 Buick Lucerne 2006 Cadillac DTS 2006 Chevrolet HHR 2006 Chevrolet Impala 2006 Pontiac G6 Coupe 2006 PONTIAC SOLSTICE What other cars are new from GM this year? While the other three entries aren't anything spectacular, the success of the HHR and the Pontiac Solstice are nothing to scoff at. Not to mention... 2006 BMW 3-Series 2006 Dodge Charger 2006 Ford Fusion 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2006 Infiniti M 2006 Lincoln Zephyr 2006 Mazda MX-5 (Miata?) 2006 Mercury Milan Hell, I'd sooner give the award to... 2006 Lexus GS 2006 Lexus IS 2006 Toyota Avalon And that's not even all of this year's new cars. All of which I'd rather own than the Civic.

Just got my Civic sedan/Hybrid brochure yesterday, and I still walked away unimpressed. I have yet to sit in one or go up close to one for an in-depth look, but the fact that the car has less passenger and cargo room yet is physically larger and slightly awkward stylistically (that window ahead of the door just looks odd and doesn't belong on any car-apparently no one has learned the lesson), and the coupe just looks plain ridiculous. And the base DX trim doesn't even come with a stereo or a CD player as standard, ditto air conditioning, yet it has power windows I think. That's just plain stupid, just ask the Nissan Altima special-order base model. I bet people will continue to buy, but now I know why the Civic is not only a poor value but also a massively overrated car in almost every way. And did you really think the Lucerne, G6 coupe, or DTS would get Car of the Year awards? I've seen the cars and they're travesties at best. Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

What a joke, there are new releases more deserving of this award than the Civic. I would really like to know their reasoning behind choosing it...was it the fuel economy? The interior? Driving dynamics? It surely wasn't the exterior styling. The Fusion, Sonata, and Solstice were my top three picks and all three are very deserving of this honor. Is MT going Car and Driver now? I was really beginning to like them too...

When did being a fan of a certain company make you blind to the rest of the industry? Just because they didn't pick a GM product, Motor Trend hates GM? Perhaps GM didn't field anything competitive (which is the case). Perhaps the Civic was the best choice in the field (which is the case). Drive the car before you start taking offense to GM's choice. Learn about the criteria for COTY before you get upset and cancel subscriptions. This is sad.

Wow....So what is probably the least deserving car got the award.  Fantastic.

[post="46664"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

At first thought, I was really surprised....I thought it would be 3-series or Solstice.....

BUT, you do HAVE to admit that the new Honda Civic is as relevent to Honda's overall business as the 3-series is to BMW's.....after the last generation, they NEEDED to make a big splash....

The Si Coupe is getting RAVE reviews....

Honda certainly did go out on a limb with the styling (which I actually like...sedan AND coupe).....

The interior fit-and-finish and quality of materials in the cars I've sat in is first-class and EASILY better than anything else in the segment (note I said fit-and-finish and materials, not neccessarily styling of the interior.)

By all regards, it's a pivotal car for Honda and a HUGE improvment over the old Civic. Let's not bash Motor Trend until we've all had a chance to actually read their COTY review in the January issue....which should be here in early December.

Let's see...

2006 Buick Lucerne
2006 Cadillac DTS
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2006 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Pontiac G6 Coupe
2006 PONTIAC SOLSTICE

What other cars are new from GM this year?

While the other three entries aren't anything spectacular, the success of the HHR and the Pontiac Solstice are nothing to scoff at.

Not to mention...

2006 BMW 3-Series
2006 Dodge Charger
2006 Ford Fusion
2006 Hyundai Sonata
2006 Infiniti M
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
2006 Mazda MX-5 (Miata?)
2006 Mercury Milan

Hell, I'd sooner give the award to...

2006 Lexus GS
2006 Lexus IS
2006 Toyota Avalon

And that's not even all of this year's new cars.

All of which I'd rather own than the Civic.

[post="46724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Remember.....COTY isn't just about which car you'd rather own or drive.....it's a cumulation of product quality and excellence, relevence in the market and to its brand, and how each car compares to the others in its SEGMENT....not how they compare to each other in the COTY comparison test.

Based upon these criteria, the new Civic probably had a GREAT shot at the title...

I dunno... the Civic isn't a bad car at all, it's just that there are better cars in that field. I mean, it beat the 3-Series, the Solstice, the MX-5, the Fusion and the Sonata. Those are some pretty tough, praiseworthy competitors, and I just can't see any justification for choosing the Civic over them. I guess I'll have to read the magazine, when it comes out.

Leave it to Motor Trend to set the bar so low. I guess looks don't count for much. The interior of the new civic is such a mess. The vents are all different sizes and it looks like it was thrown together from the Honda parts bin. oh well, Civic enjoy it while you can. I predict your sales will continue to fall just like the previous Civic's did.

I never said the G6 Coupe, Lucerne, and DTS would be CotY contenders, I just said that I'd pick them over the Anime-inspired Civic. Mainly, though, I was trying to list all of this year's new models, and all the choices MT had, all the while wondering why they picked the Civic. Speaking of which, I'm not done listing... 2006 Acura RL 2006 Mazda5 2006 Mercedes CLS 2006 Mercedes R-Class (hell, it's close enough to a car) 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2006 Volvo S40 On another note, didn't Motor Trend already announce the 2006 XTerra as the truck of the year? Which of the two articles came out first?

When did being a fan of a certain company make you blind to the rest of the industry? Just because they didn't pick a GM product, Motor Trend hates GM? Perhaps GM didn't field anything competitive (which is the case). Perhaps the Civic was the best choice in the field (which is the case).

Drive the car before you start taking offense to GM's choice. Learn about the criteria for COTY before you get upset and cancel subscriptions.

This is sad.

[post="46742"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Motor Trend Car of the year is a joke. I read somewhere last year that one of the criteria that motor Trend uses to pick a winner is how the car is incorporated into an ad with Motor Trend's Car of the year award. So if the car companies don't put together something to kiss the ass of Motor Trend, then they will not pick it. It has less to do with picking a competent car then sucking up to Motor Trend. I think the article I read was at the AutoExtremist, but since I am not a member, I do not have the ability to access the archived articles. Doeas anyone else remember thsi article?

Yup, I'm with aaaantoine on this one. THe Lexus IS would have made a much better choice. As would have the Solstice and new Impala. (as much as I hate the Impala)

When did being a fan of a certain company make you blind to the rest of the industry? Just because they didn't pick a GM product, Motor Trend hates GM? Perhaps GM didn't field anything competitive (which is the case). Perhaps the Civic was the best choice in the field (which is the case).

Drive the car before you start taking offense to GM's choice. Learn about the criteria for COTY before you get upset and cancel subscriptions.

This is sad.

[post="46742"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hudson, you have similar views to mine! and this is a very good point!

They always claim their main factor is significance in the segment. Granted the Civic is very significant in the segment it competes in, the IS is significant in its class, probably more so than the Civic. While it likely would not have been my pick, it certainly isn't a bad call, at least I don't think it is.

And what do you call the Solstice? :huh:

Not competitive. When you look at the MX5, which is also all-new (the main criteria for entering the COTY competition) and is BETTER than the Solstice, the Solstice moves to no greater than SECOND in its segment.

Motor Trend Car of the year is a joke. I read somewhere last year that one of the criteria that motor Trend uses to pick a winner is how the car is incorporated into an ad with Motor Trend's Car of the year award. So if the car companies don't put together something to kiss the ass of Motor Trend, then they will not pick it. It has less to do with picking a competent car then sucking up to Motor Trend. I think the article I read was at the AutoExtremist, but since I am not a member, I do not have the ability to access the archived articles. Doeas anyone else remember thsi article?

It's posted elsewhere. And if you're using a media-whore like Delorenzo as your source, you should be more careful.

The Solstice is the most ground breaking vehicle on the list.  A very affordable RWD American roadster???  When was that last one of these was built?  I don't even remember......maybe the Mercury Capri (lame)?

Sure, the CiviD might be nice for Honda, but it's nowhere near as ground breaking as the Solstice!

I guess this would have made sense in the day when imports didn't compete for the COTY title with the domestics. Being an "affordable RWD AMERICAN roadster" doesnt' matter when it competes against the likes of the MX5, which is a better roadster.

The Civic is at the top of its segment...the Solstice is not. And the Capri was never offered as a RWD roadster...and the FWD convertible wasn't American.

The Solstice is the most ground breaking vehicle on the list.  A very affordable RWD American roadster???  When was that last one of these was built?  I don't even remember......maybe the Mercury Capri (lame)?

Sure, the CiviD might be nice for Honda, but it's nowhere near as ground breaking as the Solstice!

[post="46900"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Their criteria includes practicality, too. I remember when people blasted them for chosing the 2-seat Thunderbird as COTY.

Not competitive. When you look at the MX5, which is also all-new (the main criteria for entering the COTY competition) and is BETTER than the Solstice, the Solstice moves to no greater than SECOND in its segment.

So... that's why the Titan beat the F150 in a comparision because it was the better truck... only for the F150 to win TOTY? :huh:

So... that's why the Titan beat the F150 in a comparision because it was the better truck... only for the F150 to win TOTY? :huh:

[post="46961"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Their reasoning with that was that for TOTY testing they take the entire vehicle line into account. The Titan doesn't have as many variations as the F-150.

I think C&D said the same thing. Edited by VarianceJ30

I still haven't seen one in my neck of the woods (California). Where are you? In Ohio (Honda-land) or something?

[post="46879"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Interesting...when I was in Cali for work last week (Oakland and San Fran), I saw at least 10 new Civics--mostly sedans, but a few coupes also. Edited by moltar

Would you people stop crying that the Solstice did not win! Boo Hoo, cry me a river! It's just like crying over the fact that you were not placed student of the month in elementary school. Since this discussion is at a grade 6 level, let me see a show of hands children of who actually driven or even sat in the Solstice, or the new Civic that all of you seem to be all experts of? Good job GM, for coming out with the Solstice, better luck next time. And congradulations to Honda. Life goes on!

Solstice = 1
MX-5.... = 0

[post="46996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As good an effort GM has put forward with the Solstice, I can't help but feel that Mazda did a better job..the MX-5 is about 400lbs lighter, has a 6-speed manual, much nicer interior, and an easier-to use top with a bit more trunk space...

Would you people stop crying that the Solstice did not win!  Boo Hoo, cry me a river!  It's just like crying over the fact that you were not placed student of the month in elementary school.

Since this discussion is at a grade 6 level, let me see a show of hands children of who actually driven or even sat in the Solstice, or the new Civic that all of you seem to be all experts of?  Good job GM, for coming out with the Solstice, better luck next time.  And congradulations to Honda.  Life goes on!

[post="46990"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Three words for you... GM... Enthusiast... Forum. Got it? If not, get it.

Besides, it's less "the Solstice didn't win" and more "the Civic didn't deserve to win". And yes, I've been in a Civic. Compared to the other vehicles eligible for the award, the Civic isn't the best for ALL the criteria MT bases their selection on. Other cars rightfully deserve it over the Civic. Solstice? Yes. MX5? Yes. BMW 3er? Yes. Lexus IS? Yes. Have I made my point or shall I continue?

FYI, I'm just as much a Honda fan as I am a Pontiac fan. The Civic just doesn't deserve it. It doesn't take a genius to see that... Well, I hope it doesn't as that would mean... Yeah... :D

Their reasoning with that was that for TOTY testing they take the entire vehicle line into account. The Titan doesn't have as many variations as the F-150.

I think C&D said the same thing.

[post="46973"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

By the total package thing then, makes sense, as the Civic is offered in sedan, coupe, Si, and hybrid form.

Would you people stop crying that the Solstice did not win!  Boo Hoo, cry me a river!  It's just like crying over the fact that you were not placed student of the month in elementary school.

Since this discussion is at a grade 6 level, let me see a show of hands children of who actually driven or even sat in the Solstice, or the new Civic that all of you seem to be all experts of?  Good job GM, for coming out with the Solstice, better luck next time.  And congradulations to Honda.  Life goes on!

[post="46990"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wait...aren't you the character who mindlessly mocked a press release by pointing out the 'fat slob', liken a member's comments to Adolf Hitler, and generally just bitch? And yet you feel the righteousness to mock the intelligence of others?

What are you even doing here?

I saw the title of this thread on the forum overview page and I knew I couldn't come to the Asian section because I'd end up seeing the thread and reading it. I haven't gotten my damn magazine yet. What a shame. The Civic might be COTY material but it is not COTY. I don't know what other cars were on the list but I'd give the award to the Fusion, IS, CLS or Eclipse. The Impala wasn't going to get this award because it's not brand new and it's not the best that GM or any car company has to offer. The Solstice is an awesome car but it's overweight and the interior looks like it was forgotten about until the last minute. I loved Motor Trend's new layout/design and it's been the only car magazine I've subscribed to. In fact, I just renewed my subscription last month. I'm honestly thinking about dumping it and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people actually do.

As good an effort GM has put forward with the Solstice, I can't help but feel that Mazda did a better job..the MX-5 is about 400lbs  lighter, has a 6-speed manual, much nicer interior, and an easier-to use top with a bit more trunk space...

[post="46998"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was just commenting on the looks. Of course the MX-5 is more refined.....it's been around for like 15 years. If the Solstice survives for 15 years, I would expect it to get lighter, quicker, handle better, have a better top....etc. However, this first (or second) year Solstice will be faster then the MX-5, when it gets a turbo or supercharger.....and it already handles better in some tests.

The problem with the Solstice, Impala or any of GM's entries is that GM is juggling too many balls in the air. Not enough money or attention to go around and it is beginning to show. The Solstice is a great car and it will sell to those who either were sick of the Miata or who won't buy imports. If what the critics are saying is true about the Solstice, then shame on GM for not getting it right the first time. Having said that, the Civic is not revolutionary, just evolutionary. Although we can all laugh at the '97 Malibu in hindsight - at the time it was quite a departure for GM. Just ride in a '97 Lumina for comparison. Polish Kris, don't be fooled by all the Civics you see around. In 2004, the Cavalier/Sunfire twins still outsold the vaunted Civic. The reason you see so many Civics around here is twofold: a) Honda has nothing else to sell B) "new Canadians" don't buy American cars. GM knows it. Ford knows it.

Hmm...I'm not really surprised. I read the MT write up on the civic a few months ago and they loved it so much they might as well have opened up the gas tank and stuck their...well you get the idea. but COTY? Hardly. All it is is an (uglier) variation on the compact car. It isn't anything groundbreaking...and almost every other car (foreign or domestic) that deserved the award more. The Mazda3 was the last car to really raise the bar in this class and it didn't win COTY...why should the Civic...which falls short of the bar to begin with?