ATLAS ENGINES

What are the Atlas engines? The TrailBlazer's straight six would be nice to see in a Camaro instead of the predictable pushrod V6...

[post="46982"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As I understand it, the Atlas engines include that 6 cylinder as well as the 180 hp four cylinder and 220 hp five cylinder version as used the the Colorado/Canyon twins.

I have considered the Inline 6 for the Camaro as it would give it the best 6 made in America . Also don't forget Chevy have a production capable 300+ HP turbo 5 cylinder they have not used yet. The only question is packaging in a car. Can they get it to fit under the hood of the new car? If BMW can do it They should be able to figure it out.

I believe the Atlas engines, as they are now, are too tall for use in a car. The block would have to be made shorter, though the displacement might be made up by boring out the cyliinders.

As I understand it, the Atlas engines include that 6 cylinder as well as the 180 hp four cylinder and 220 hp five cylinder version  as used the the Colorado/Canyon twins.

[post="47000"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well those are refered to as Vortec engines...

the 5 cylinder is a Vortec 3500... so i dont know if the Atlas is the same motor... :blink:

Atlas is GM's name for the 4,5 and 6 cyl. inline engines refered to also as Vortec's.(not the 4cyl.ecotec-L850) The blocks are tall and would have to be modified for the kappa I believe. But the 5 cyl. did fit into the last Bel-Air Concept (trail blazer frame.---BOF anyone?) so depending on the car (ZETTA? PLEASE!!!!) it could work. And compared to the v6's, atlas' have much more torqe and HP, plus smoother runnig. I've also read that the next Gen. inline 6 will have DOD (dispalecment on demand). Didn't think it was pssible in straight 6 but I guess I was wrong. :CG_all:

The blocks are tall and would have to be modified for the kappa I believe.

[post="49347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I read that the ecotec was unusually compact and light in design, but still what features make the Atlas so much taller as they are both in line dual over head cam engines?

The most used and best of the Atlas line is OBVEIOUSLY the STRONG I6! But I still see NO NEED for these Engines when GM could have saved $$$ by useing the 6.0L V8 block in the same way they did the Older 350/5.7L-to-262/4.3L one to make a new 4.5L V6. Based on a LS6 6.0L V8 it would be a 310HP 4.5L V6 that they could use in the Trailblazer/Colorado ect. Based on lesser 6.0L truck V8's like the 345HP one it would put out 255HP for a base Engine in the big trucks. GM needs to use their $$$ more wisely then they have been in the past with the Atlas line.---Is it good?---YES!---Was an EXPENSIVE completely new Engine line really needed that badly?---((NO!!))

The most used and best of the Atlas line is OBVEIOUSLY the STRONG I6!

<snip>

Is it good?---YES!---Was an EXPENSIVE completely new Engine line really needed that badly?---((NO!!))

[post="49605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would argue that the 4 cylinder is the best of the Atlas engines as it is class leading except that arguements about which is better between divergent objects is not fruitful.

As to your second point .. the whole idea of this "topic" is to minimize the effect of the cost by conjecture as to other uses of the engines.

Inline 6 engines are mathmatically the smoothest engines possible this side of a V-12. A nice I6 for the premium engine in the Sky or the base engine in the Kappa Caddy would be great.

[post="49620"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know of one that would fit. Look under the hood of the Suzuki Verona/Chevy Epica. I just hope some more power can be pulled from that little I6.

I would argue that the 4 cylinder is the best of the Atlas engines as it is class leading except that arguements about which is better between divergent objects is not fruitful.

As to your second point .. the whole idea of this "topic" is to minimize the effect of the cost by conjecture as to other uses of the engines.

[post="49617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I dont see many other uses for this Engine line due to its TALL SIZE. And it WAS a waist of $$$ that could have been used BETTER for other things with in GM!-------PS. They could have used the 2.2L then later the 2.4L I4 as the base Colorado/Canyon Engine instead of the $$EXPENSIVE$$ ALL NEW ATLAS LINE! <_< The ..whole idea of this "topic" was to OPINE!----So thats what I did! :angry:

I know of one that would fit.  Look under the hood of the Suzuki Verona/Chevy Epica.  I just hope some more power can be pulled from that little I6.

[post="49633"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It has to be able to spunk out more hp than it does. They need to re-work injection and exhaust. But as for the Atlas engines.... I don't know, maybe they could use it in Mercruisers! B)

PS. They could have used the 2.2L then later the 2.4L I4 as the base Colorado/Canyon Engine instead of the $$EXPENSIVE$$ ALL NEW ATLAS LINE! <_< The ..whole idea of this "topic" was to OPINE!----So thats what I did! :angry:

[post="49649"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well the incremental cost of the four was minimal once they decided on the six and five cylinder models.

the topic ... to opine on maximizing the outlay for this engine family so I don't understand your angy emoticom unless its meant in humor and the spirit of the season -- Merry Christmas!

I dont see many other uses for this Engine line due to its TALL SIZE. And it WAS a waist of $$$ that could have been used BETTER for other things with in GM!-------PS. They could have used the 2.2L then later the 2.4L I4 as the base Colorado/Canyon Engine instead of the $$EXPENSIVE$$ ALL NEW ATLAS LINE! <_< The ..whole idea of this "topic" was to OPINE!----So thats what I did! :angry:

[post="49649"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually I doubt the 4 cylinder Atlas cost very much to make. It uses the same pistons and conecting rods as the 5 and 6. It uses the same head minus 2 cylinders. It has probably the same or similar programing in the computer and the geometry of the intake and exhaust paths are identical per cylindger. Why not make a GREAT inline 6 and use it to make a GREAT inline4? Makes sense to me, logical and financial.

Well the incremental cost of the four was minimal once they decided on the six and five cylinder models.

the topic ... to opine on maximizing the outlay for this engine family so I don't understand your angy emoticom unless its meant in humor and the spirit of the season -- Merry Christmas!

[post="49708"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

HUMOR! :AH-HA_wink: I have a WEARD form of humor!----Marry Christmas to you to. :)

I heard the ATLAS engines were gonna be used in the Lambda vehicles............but this rumor might have not been true.

[post="50396"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 3.6 DOHC and 4.7 Ultra series V8, possibly a SOHC arrangement although DOHC or 3V/cyl SOHC is possible, are expected to power the Lamda crossovers and vans.

The 3.6 DOHC and 4.7 Ultra series V8, possibly a SOHC arrangement although DOHC or 3V/cyl SOHC is possible, are expected to power the Lamda crossovers and vans.

[post="50565"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I thought the ALTRA V8's were canceled! :huh: