Camaro concept coming to Detroit!

GMan

You have to remember 1 name and 1 name only.

Bob Lutz.

[post="47098"][/post]

He's not always consistant either...

Firrst he says "portholes are tacky....none for the LaCrosse"

Then he sees the Quadroporte at a carshow (Maserati) and he comes back to the design staff and says: "slap those portholes on the Lucerne!"

So if history hold true he'll end up admiting the GTO was a bit too generic and the Camaro will end up as a good mix of new and retro.

How about an Art&Science version of a '69 retro Camaro??? Kind of like Crispey's winning design from the January competition. The only thing I'd change about it would be to make it a hardtop with the 1st gen roofline/greenhouse. :)

Posted Image

aaaantoine:
If GM wanted to REALLY impress people, they'd show us a 2007 production model in January.

Amen!

The GTO and Stang both celebrated 40th anniversarys in 2004 with new models the Camaro should be next. Edited by Sixty8panther

No, it won't be a "foam" car like the '99 GTO. I'm sure it's start and drive. I'm expecting something more along the lines of the original Solstice concept however. Remember, under it's skin was a cobbled up J-car platform with the Rendezvous' Versatrack IRS and diff, Subaru steering and CTS brakes.

I expect the upcoming concept to have a similarly cobbled together undercarriage....but based heavily on Sigma. As far as if it would be based on Kappa goes, you don't have to believe me, Fbodfather has already posted about in at CZ28.

[post="48478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Keep in mind the Solstice was only done a few month from first though to show time. This showing has been works since late August for sure and I sure a month or so before I was aware of it. It may not be 100% production but this is not going to be just a last minute car.

I understand the Kappa part well. You just need to convice those who still don't think it can be enlarged. I figure if some guy in the back yard can stuff a Northstar in a Fiero GM could put a V16 in a Kappa if they really want to [Now that would really be a show car]. Not that I would expect that before someone else tries to point that out. I just mention this to point out they are able to do anything if needed.

Well we will have to see in time who is closest, As I stated speculation is the fun part. We will just have to se how close either of us come to what ends up happening. You just may be on the money.

He's not always consistant either...

Firrst he says "portholes are tacky....none for the LaCrosse"

Then he sees the Quadroporte at a carshow (Maserati) and he comes back to the design staff and says: "slap those portholes on the Lucerne!"
So if history hold true he'll end up admiting the GTO was a bit too generic and the Camaro will end up as a good mix of new and retro.

How about an Art&Science version of a '69 retro Camaro??? Kind of like Crispey's winning design from the January competition. The only thing I'd change about it would be to make it a hardtop with the 1st gen roofline/greenhouse. :)
Posted Image
Amen!

The GTO and Stang both celebrated 40th anniversarys in 2004 with new models the Camaro should be next.

[post="48494"][/post]

Well from what Scott has stated in a publications. If GM brought the car back this is what it would take.

"A Camaro as having the following DNA, If you will: A muscular V8, RWD, handles as if it was on rails, and immediately recognizable as a Camaro."

He has also noted to several the car will have cue's from all Gens and has made a point to note second gen like in the roof? He also has stated different times none of the drawings have got the car right yet?

As for Lutz changing his mind, thats fine as he knows even he can be wrong on something, vs beating through our heads.

As for the GTO he was just trying to sell a car he did not want to spend anymore money on and was going to only be here a few years like it was. There was just no budget for it when he arrived and he need it done cheap. Lets face it they could not afford the scoops the first year is the truth why we did not see them. The testing for the fuel system was sky high on all the cars they had to crash test on a limited budget.

I speculate my self we will see the new Chevy face on this car first shown on the SS Concept. We have seen some of the new cars going that way and the HHR SEMA concept with the new Chevy face. I also expect round tail ligths since they have come back on several Chevys like the Cobalt and HHR to match the Vette like the old days.

As for the Camaro even a 2008 date would be killer the sooner the better.

Althought it would not be the worst thing in the world a SS-concept style front end on a Camaro would be VERY dissapointing. :( It would come off as 2nd gen Retro ('70.5-'73) and if we do retro at ALL it shuld be 1st gen at the very least if not 69. There's my $0.02 for what it's worth.

Althought it would not be the worst thing in the world a SS-concept style front end on a Camaro would be VERY dissapointing. :(

It would come off as 2nd gen Retro ('70.5-'73) and if we do retro at ALL it shuld be 1st gen at the very least if not 69.

There's my $0.02 for what it's worth.

[post="48578"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't worry- you're not going to be disappointed.

I dont think a stretched Kappa platform is going to work. 

[post="47392"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think Kappa would work fine. We know how well balanced it is. We know it's a flexible platform than be stretched, etc. We know it accomodates a V8, let alone a V6.

I think Kappa would work fine.  We know how well balanced it is.  We know it's a flexible platform than be stretched, etc.  We know it accomodates a V8, let alone a V6.

[post="48752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

All smoke and mirrors. As it turns out, Kappa is not flexible at all. I wish it were.

No, it won't be a "foam" car like the '99 GTO. I'm sure it's start and drive. I'm expecting something more along the lines of the original Solstice concept however. Remember, under it's skin was a cobbled up J-car platform with the Rendezvous' Versatrack IRS and diff, Subaru steering and CTS brakes.

I expect the upcoming concept to have a similarly cobbled together undercarriage....but based heavily on Sigma. As far as if it would be based on Kappa goes, you don't have to believe me, Fbodfather has already posted about in at CZ28.

[post="48478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I found Fbod's comment about the Kappa other site "NOPE" on 11-22

Updated when I noted I posted Zeta when I ment Kappa based on F bodfather comments on the Camaro web site. My mistake sorry! Edited by hyperv6

Sweeet! :) Thanks for easing my mind.

Posted Image

Thanks F bodfather for the post. I just relized I put Zeta and not Kappa on my last post. I saw your post on the Camaro site. Sorry my mistake. I will be glad when the Guessing is done. Fbodfather, if you can give any clues or comment on the following I would be greatful. I did note your post on a name. It said if you say Z28 everyone knows you have a Camaro and when you say SS it could be anything. Also you noted the SS went away for a while then returned. My take on your note is if this goes production a Z28 would be considered for the standard performance model and the SS will return later as the top end car as it was with the 4th Gen. That is if GM were to build a Camaro again. Am I snatching the pebble correctly from your hand on this? Also I know you pointed out the importance in the past on a V6 model if the Car was built again. Would the V6 be as very important to a new Camaro as the V6 is to the Mustang yet? I know in the 4th gen V6 sales never were what they needed to be in the base car. Edited by hyperv6