NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: More GM Cuts: Cadillac STS-V and Pontiac G6 GXP both gone for 2010

28 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupes, Sedans/Saloons, GM, Pontiac

09_g6gxp_hi_05_opt.jpg
2009 Pontiac G6 GXP Sedan - Click above for high-res image gallery

Pluto, the Roman god of Hades, is currently on a tour of the General Motors product garage and he's taking a few cars with him from the land of the living. After sending the Impala SS and the Cobalt SS to the underworld, he has just added to his collection the Cadillac STS-V and Pontiac G6 GXP - neither car will live to see next year. Truth be told, these cancellations are coming straight from the automaker's 2010 Online Order / Reference Guide for dealers, and we're only finding out about them as people dig deeper and deeper into the document.

x08ca_st022_opt.jpgGM banishing the STS-V makes sense, since it was underpowered and overpriced compared to the CTS-V, and your typical STS owner probably wasn't looking to get to his doctor's appointment faster than the speed of light. The G6 GXP, meanwhile, is not only hideously ugly in both two- and four-door versions, but a 252-hp coupe costing $26,595 is not a great value proposition these days. Heck, that's $3,500 more than the new V6 Camaro! While we mourn their loss of life and horsepower, we doubt many will miss the cars themselves, and we wish them well on their appointments with the boatman at the river Styx.

[source: Motor Authority]

More GM Cuts: Cadillac STS-V and Pontiac G6 GXP both gone for 2010 originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 08 May 2009 13:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=X6iakovsIaM:XNfaucZSuNM:wF9xT autoblog?i=X6iakovsIaM:XNfaucZSuNM:V_sGL
X6iakovsIaM

View the full article

It took a while, but the G6 GXP's death proves that there might be a God up there after all.

I totally agree, send them 6 feet under. There are many better options for the future.

Neither of these cars were very well thought out. All they were built for was a quick buck for GM. Very little costs to change the car from what they normally sell and a HUGE premium.

I acctually like the G6 GXP, but I don't feel bad seeing it go.

I can't explain it, but I really like the STS-V (and the regular STS as well). I am sad to see it go. But with the CTS-V being a world-beater, the STS-V's inferiority really shows. I'm keeping my eyes out for a used one.

As for the G6 GXP, I hope the door doesn't hit it in the rear bumper on the way out. It's everything that defined GM's mishandling of Pontiac.

thats%20all%20folks.jpg

You win the thread.

I'm a bit sad about the STS-V. I kinda liked it... but then I like the STS anyway, sans dated center stack.

The G6 GXP? Bye. :wavey:

Hell, this is just the start, boys and girls!

Hold on to those panties! :neenerneener:

I'm a bit sad about the STS-V. I kinda liked it... but then I like the STS anyway, sans dated center stack.

The G6 GXP? Bye. :wavey:

+1

Hell, this is just the start, boys and girls!

Hold on to those panties! :neenerneener:

+1

Chris

Don't forget the death of the Cobalt SS and HHR SS...

Car and Driver article

chevrolet_impala_ss_cobalt_ss_and_hhr_ss

And the DTS, ......oopps........I better shut up now....

Edited by daves87rs

Don't forget the death of the Cobalt SS and HHR SS...

Car and Driver article

chevrolet_impala_ss_cobalt_ss_and_hhr_ss

HHR SS is not dead. They are only killing the SS panel van for 2010. Also the SS Cobalt sedan is the only one dead read carefully what Car and Dirver posted. This news is a week old.

GM is killing low volume slow movers to reduce models.

Before anyone gets too excited here is the new 2010 infor from GM. Check it out as I have used this site for several years on info and RPO info.

Not many changes but a lot of odd options have been changed and or deleted to simplify things.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com

Edited by hyperv6

So Pontiac is going to be building a 2010 G6? I thought all G6 models would be done by end of 2009? So why would it matter if the GXP is gone if the G6 is done anyways? Or is Pontiac still producing a G6 for the 2010 model year? I am confused and sorry to see the STS-V go but I am not suprised. Considering the CTS-V is out now and will kick its a$$.

HHR SS is not dead. They are only killing the SS panel van for 2010. Also the SS Cobalt sedan is the only one dead read carefully what Car and Dirver posted. This news is a week old.

GM is killing low volume slow movers to reduce models.

Before anyone gets too excited here is the new 2010 infor from GM. Check it out as I have used this site for several years on info and RPO info.

Not many changes but a lot of odd options have been changed and or deleted to simplify things.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com

Reading carefully what the Car and Driver article said:

GM’s hemorrhaging continues, as the paring of Chevrolet’s SS lineup follows the announcement of Pontiac’s impending euthanization. While GM’s High-Performance Vehicle Operations were shuttered months ago, we were told at that time that existing performance models would live out their planned lifecycles.

Those lifecycles turned out to be shorter than we expected for the Chevrolet Impala SS—production of which has already ended—as well as the Cobalt SS and HHR SS. The Cobalt SS coupe will outlast the sedan, but both will be gone by the end of the 2009 calendar year. The Panel will be the first HHR SS to drop, while the regular, windowed version will hang around until the end of the 2010 model year.

Reading carefully what the Car and Driver article said:

Nothing new here as the HHR was to die in 2010 or 2011 aleady and take the SS with it.

The Orlando is coming.

They have already built out the 4 speed trannys for these already according to a guy at the plant I spoke to. GM is working to close down the 4 speed line. THe six speed will not fit the Cobalr or HHR as it is.

The Cobalt will get the last of these trannys as they start the Cruze line in Lordstown along side the present Cobalt line.

Edited by hyperv6

Nothing new here as the HHR was to die in 2010 or 2011 aleady and take the SS with it.

The Orlando is coming.

They have already built out the 4 speed trannys for these already according to a guy at the plant I spoke to. GM is working to close down the 4 speed line. THe six speed will not fit the Cobalr or HHR as it is.

The Cobalt will get the last of these trannys as they start the Cruze line in Lordstown along side the present Cobalt line.

Ok then...

BUT, there is much more than meets the eye.....

the fact that it took them this long to cancel this shows how much this restructuring is a good thing for GM.

the fact that it took them this long to cancel this shows how much this restructuring is a good thing for GM.

Are you sure about that?

I haven't been high on GM lately anyway. First, they screwed me with a roof adhesive issue on my Camaro that they refused to rectify or even acknowledge as a manufacturing defect despite a TSB and a mountain of evidence. Then they kill off Saturn which will in turn kill the resale on my '07 Aura and '08 VUE. Now, to add insult to injury, they are killing some of the few products left that I would still like to buy, the Cobalt SS sedan and G8 GT.

I want to see GM succeed, trust me. I'm sure I will buy a new GM product again some day. Not any time soon though. My next couple of new car purchases will be from a different *domestic* automaker. I'd still like to swing a used G8 GT or Cobalt SS sedan in a couple of years, though.

The issue is there is more new and much better products in the pipeline but GM needs to get its house in order first. Cutting low volume under selling cars is the first thing. Consolidating option packages and the number of models is next.

Once they get things managable and make their deal with the devil I mean goverment, UAW and Bond holders they will be ready to start to bring the new product to market.

We will lose more cars like the HHR, Cobalt, Impala and the like because they are old and need replaced. They were on their way out anyway before the money crunch.

Note to just because Lutz is leaving this year does not mean his work on the interiors and styling will not be seen. We should see about 5 more years of some of his approved work.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room