Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Fritz: Chevy will be competitive, top-quality brand in two years

34 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrids/Alternative, Green, Crossovers/CUVs, Chevrolet, GM

chevyorlandodet09_lead.jpg
2011 Chevy Orlando: Click above for gallery

General Motors is in the middle of a massive restructuring, and if it manages to escape catastrophe without going belly-up, good news could be in store for the Chevy brand. GM CEO Fritz Henderson told AutoWeek that the bowtie will emerge as the big winner in two years, with great quality and plenty of new product. The 2011 model year will (assuming there are no changes to the product calendar -- something that's hardly guaranteed) bring a variety of fuel-efficient vehicles to the Chevy brand with the arrival of the Cruze, Spark, Volt, and Orlando.

The Volt, with its purported extended-range electric capability, will get the limelight. But the Cruze, Spark, and Orlando are likely to be more impactful, since they're designed to be high-volume sellers with very competitive fuel economy figures. The new cars, combined with the drop-dead gorgeous Camaro (29 mpg hwy), the new Equinox (32 mpg hwy), and the Malibu, give Chevrolet a a significantly transformed, far more efficient product lineup.

With four new Chevys set to hit production in the next 19 months, the future of the brand looks bright... as long as GM can survive the tumultuous present.

[source: AutoWeek]

Fritz: Chevy will be competitive, top-quality brand in two years originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 09 May 2009 12:33:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=yB8werdxC64:-K5s8xC0kNU:wF9xT autoblog?i=yB8werdxC64:-K5s8xC0kNU:V_sGL
yB8werdxC64

View the full article

so will the g8 become the impala "ss" then?

Hope so...

I hope so the rest of this is true.

Just bought a Silverado. Assembled at GM's Fort Wayne assembly plant back in February. Between the G8 (of course factoring-in Australia's contribution) and the Chevy, these were two of the nicest retail deliveries of new vehicles in my experience with my former employer.

The Silverado presents like a piece of fine jewelry, mimicking the condition of the G8 when I picked that up.

It really is a shame to run 'em down the dirty highways in the rain.

I'd love to see the G8 become an Impala, but I thought that wasn't happening?

Also, what is the Orlando going to replace?

Also, what is the Orlando going to replace?

HHR

HHR

Good, thank God. I thought the HHR was hideous.

'..within two years'... hasn't GM been saying they would be competitive 'within two years' for the last 10 or so?

'..within two years'... hasn't GM been saying they would be competitive 'within two years' for the last 10 or so?

Yes. With the new Malibu and the Volt, though, I have a slight hope they may mean it this time.

Just bought a Silverado. Assembled at GM's Fort Wayne assembly plant back in February. Between the G8 (of course factoring-in Australia's contribution) and the Chevy, these were two of the nicest retail deliveries of new vehicles in my experience with my former employer.

The Silverado presents like a piece of fine jewelry, mimicking the condition of the G8 when I picked that up.

It really is a shame to run 'em down the dirty highways in the rain.

I agree with that. I had an 05 before my 09 and the 05 doesn't hold a candle to the new one.

A good chunk of Chevy is already competitive, and of high quality. It's just that a lot of people will never believe that, and I'll bet two years from now, they still won't.

Competitive:

Malibu (though it does have faults)

Silverado

Camaro

Corvette

Tahoe/Suburban (face it, they're the same vehicle)

Non-Competitive:

Cobalt

Aveo

Impala

Colorado

Equinox (until the new one hits lots)

Thats half the lineup that isn't close to the competition.

Add Orlando, Cruze, new Equinox, and Volt, then there's a largely competitive lineup, with Aveo, Impala and Colorado as the noncompetitives. Impala needs to move to zeta. Do that, and the most familiar Chevrolet sedan is competitive, and it will be a positive experience for every American going to Avis. If GM were smart, it would fleet more of its best vehicles so more people would be forced to test drive them and see how good they are.

Competitive:

Silverado

Camaro

Corvette

Non-Competitive:

Cobalt

Aveo

Impala

Colorado

It's funny you say that, considering all those NC models will be gone soon...

If the Cruze, Volt, Orlando, Equinox, and Spark come to market like the Malibu has, Chevy will be in a great position.... the challenge will be convincing the import buying public of that.

Related note, I like the new Chevy ads with the "Theys" and "Someones"

I agree with that. I had an 05 before my 09 and the 05 doesn't hold a candle to the new one.

I agree.

I've had GMCs and Chevy pickups going back to August 1987.

Thinking back across that span I realize that the integrity of the vehicles, great for their time, got better with each successive generation.

The new truck rolls silently, effortlessly across even the highest parking-lot speed bumps. Little, if any flex in the chassis/frame.

Really is a very good vehicle. imo

Me too

If the Cruze, Volt, Orlando, Equinox, and Spark come to market like the Malibu has, Chevy will be in a great position.... the challenge will be convincing the import buying public of that.

Me too.

Competitive:

Silverado

Camaro

Corvette

Non-Competitive:

Cobalt

Aveo

Impala

Colorado

I completely agree with you on this. I'm curious, does anyone happen to know when the MCE for the Malibu is? Is it 2011? I think if they tweak a few of the problem areas, the car will stay fresh and competitive.

I completely agree with you on this. I'm curious, does anyone happen to know when the MCE for the Malibu is? Is it 2011? I think if they tweak a few of the problem areas, the car will stay fresh and competitive.

I thought it was supposed to move to Epsilon2 in 2012...

THe new product should do well

The new Nox is so much better than the old. It almost needs a new name.

THe Cruze needs to build on what the Malibu started.

The G8 will be a Caprice if anything. The new Impala will be a Volume FWD larger than the Bu.

The Orlando should do well but I wonder what they will do about the lost sales of HHR's. Most of their buyers are not interested in a Orlando and would rather have a updated retro vehicle.

THe Camaro should do well for 3 years till it needs much.

As for flaws in the Malibu? Not sure what you mean there other than the lack of the Six Speed in the early model 4 cylinders. I see it getting a DI engine soon with more power and better economy.

Buick and Cadillac both have new product coming that is just waiting for GM to get the money prolems resolved.

The big problem is few people are going to shop cars in 2010. The economy needs more time to recover. THe companies who can keep good product ready and weather the storm will reap great sales when people start to buy again.

I only hope the Volt will silence the critics. I have a hunch we will see this car do better than the numbers already given. GM I feel is not going over board on this and by the time they reach market I would not be suprised to see it do 50 miles min on battery power. The big key is no flaw, any big recall will kill this and kill it now.

chevy would be wise to upgrade the interior plastics and center stack on the malibu, and the door panels and seating material quality. add DI to the four popper and make it a 2.5 to reach about 200 horsepower. more than likely any malibu v6 upgrade will be the 3.0 DI soon.

that would prob keep the malibu competitive through 2011 model year.

it honestly wouldn't hurt to give the impala a new interior and plant the DI v6 in it with a 6 speed and keep it going through about 2012, assuming they don't turn the g8 into the impala. even if they fleet the impala to heck, it would still benefit at least from the interior mods.

The Equinox is pretty critical to Chevy's stability. It clearly trounces the mixed rice in the segment, and has the potential to sell in huge volume. It can gain chevy share and profits.

Traverse, Equinox, Camaro, Malibu. Chevy can go through 2010 model year with a big emphasis on these vehicles and i think hold their ground pretty well.

Saw the camaro at the dealer today. first time in the sunlight and outside. Its like a magnet for your eyes.

Edited by regfootball

Sounds exactly like my favourite soccer team here in Portugal: we haven't won a championship in years, but every year comes the 'next year we'll kick ass' talk....

I like that Orlando it's pretty sharp looking for a van type vehicle.

I don't get the constant trashing of the Impala. One thing is for sure in the analogous period of ownership of a 2007 Impala and an Epsilon Malibu we found the Malibu to be more poorly built, less durable and way more problematic than the Impala (which as given us almost completely trouble free ownership save for a few small issues). I don't like the feel of the new Malibu either, feels cramped and unsubstantial.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0