Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Josh

Ford calls on Congress to act

24 posts in this topic

By Jim Snyder

Bill Ford, the chairman and CEO of Ford Motor Co., called on Congress and the White House to adopt a sweeping package of tax breaks to boost struggling American automakers and reduce the country's dependence on foreign oil.

The package focuses principally on encouraging American consumers to buy more hybrids by passing more tax cuts to support their development and other incentives, even as some in Congress are stepping up their efforts to cut federal spending.

Ford said he was meeting with White House officials later today to discuss his plan and his call, first made in September, for the administration to convene a summit of American auto and oil and gas industry leaders and government officials to discuss the nation's energy needs.

"We all depend on an energy supply that is increasingly scarce and expansive and a world beyond our borders that is filled with unrest," Ford said, in a speech given at the National Press Club and co-sponsored by the Business Roundtable, a group of the CEOs of America's largest companies.

Full Story: http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/The...2205/brief.html

Bill, Bill, Bill...

Hybrids are not the answer. The only purpose they serve is for the direct consumer to use less oil.

At least with Hydrogen fuel cells, the usage of foreign oil is passed onto the plants that produce the energy. And then they can worry about phasing out oil consumption.

I don't think hybrid development needs any more incentives, Bill.

The answer is to double the taxes on oil so that America will match the rest of the world and get out of gas guzzling tanks that nobody needs. The next time I see some 5'2" woman peering over the wheel of an Explorer because she feels safer I will puke!

The answer is to double the taxes on oil so that America will match the rest of the world and get out of gas guzzling tanks that nobody needs.
  The next time I see some 5'2" woman peering over the wheel of an Explorer because she feels safer I will puke!

[post="47111"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The answer is that you mind your own business and stop telling people what they should drive.

The answer is to double the taxes on oil so that America will match the rest of the world and get out of gas guzzling tanks that nobody needs.
  The next time I see some 5'2" woman peering over the wheel of an Explorer because she feels safer I will puke!

How about the rest of the world lowering their gas taxes to match the U.S.?

folks, you're missing the point here. Billie is going all 'evironmental' to get all sorts of press for Ford and trying to one up Toyota. genius....Bill likely knows nada about enviro concerns, but his name associated with concern and trying to bring leaders together makes FORD look like LEADERS to the average AMURCHAN reading articles like this. this is simply Ford stepping up and going head to head with toyota. this is all PR. Ford knows the company's future depends on long term success. eliminate your competitors. toyota makes pompous commercials. Bill sets up meeting with big time politicians. WHICH ONE do you think will get bigger press.?

people should have the freedom of choice between a gas guzzler and gas sipper..

You guys don't get it: you are importing 8 million barrels a day. I was in a parking lot in Buffalo the other week and couldn't believe all the Durangos, Tahoes, etc. What crap! Who needs to drive those? You can have freedom of choice all you want, but $2 a gallon in this day and age when you are going to be fighting (and I hope that is not literal) the Chinese for every single barrel of oil very soon. In the '80s we were all forced by economics to drive anemic, underpowered go karts but gas consumption actually went down. Washington came up with CAFE ratings; Detroit came up with gas swilling SUVs to get around it. Today's 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder cars are fun to drive, safe and great on gas. SUVs are dangerous (to everybody else), stupid (they are basically station wagons on steroids) and a natiional security risk. Look at Europe, South America or Asia. Everybody drives 4 cylinder cars. Even minivans are a rarity. The U.S. (and to a certain extent Canada) is a huge anamoly on the world stage. Or do you like making Saudi Arabia rich? (This is me ducking now.)

Dude. I see a lot of SUVs with Ontario license plates so don't make this an issue about Americans being the only wasteful ones. Canadians are bad too. Edited by Cadillacfan85

You guys don't get it:  you are importing 8 million barrels a day.  I was in a parking lot in Buffalo the other week and couldn't believe all the Durangos, Tahoes, etc.  What crap! 
  Who needs to drive those?  You can have freedom of choice all you want, but $2 a gallon in this day and age when you are going to be fighting (and I hope that is not literal) the Chinese for every single barrel of oil very soon.
  In the '80s we were all forced by economics to drive anemic, underpowered go karts but gas consumption actually went down.  Washington came up with CAFE ratings; Detroit came up with gas swilling SUVs to get around it.  Today's 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder cars are fun to drive, safe and great on gas.
  SUVs are dangerous (to everybody else), stupid (they are basically station wagons on steroids) and a natiional security risk.
  Look at Europe, South America or Asia.  Everybody drives 4 cylinder cars.  Even minivans are a rarity.  The U.S. (and to a certain extent Canada) is a huge anamoly on the world stage.
  Or do you like making Saudi Arabia rich?

(This is me ducking now.)

[post="47380"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How do I as a consumer benefit from doubling the taxes? I will use less gas but at the same time will spend same amount of money as before on gas. What's in it for an average person?

Hey now, my mom drives a 2004 Explorer with the 4.0L V6. We got it because she drives a 40 mile round trip to and from work each day on poor county roads, and during the winter those roads are pretty trecherous. Her school also has a tendency to be stubborn in cancelling classes for snowstorms. It's also our family vehicle that we use on trips and we needed the rear space for my sister's club she's in where they regularly build stage props and need to transport them. Besides, the gas mileage it gets now is about equivalent to what the wheezy Windstar was getting toward the end of its life.

You guys don't get it:  you are importing 8 million barrels a day.  I was in a parking lot in Buffalo the other week and couldn't believe all the Durangos, Tahoes, etc.  What crap! 
  Who needs to drive those?  You can have freedom of choice all you want, but $2 a gallon in this day and age when you are going to be fighting (and I hope that is not literal) the Chinese for every single barrel of oil very soon.
  In the '80s we were all forced by economics to drive anemic, underpowered go karts but gas consumption actually went down.  Washington came up with CAFE ratings; Detroit came up with gas swilling SUVs to get around it.  Today's 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder cars are fun to drive, safe and great on gas.
  SUVs are dangerous (to everybody else), stupid (they are basically station wagons on steroids) and a natiional security risk.
  Look at Europe, South America or Asia.  Everybody drives 4 cylinder cars.  Even minivans are a rarity.  The U.S. (and to a certain extent Canada) is a huge anamoly on the world stage.
  Or do you like making Saudi Arabia rich?

(This is me ducking now.)

[post="47380"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

but that Yaris hurts more when it hits that guardrail...if you survive it. Edited by regfootball

How do I as a consumer benefit from doubling the taxes? I will use less gas but at the same time will spend same amount of money as before on gas. What's in it for an average person?

[post="47414"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

raising gas taxes and gas prices will downsize our cars to raise mpg, but then it gives them incetives to raise gas prices even higher to make the same amount of profit.

pay 4 bucks a gallon and get 30 mpg in a shitbox or pay 2.50 a gallon in a tank and get 17 mpg.

its your choice. the MAN won't let you have it both ways. they get their money either way.

Look, THE ENTIRE WORLD survives on $5 a gallon of gas. Even up here in the wilderness, we are paying the equivalent of $4 a gallon and Canada EXPORTS oil! I never said Canada was perfect, but the #1 selling vehicles up here are the Civic, Cobalt/Pursuit, Mazda 3, Caravan, etc. None of the gas guzzlers are on the list, except the F-150. I agree that letting the government in the back door is a mixed blessing, but with the extra billions, maybe Washington could pay off its debt. And anyway, we all went through a doubling of gas prices (unfortunately the money went to the Middle East and sandbagged the North American economy) and it did force people to make a choice about the vehicle they drove. Take a look at the best sellers in 1973 and then again in 1985. And the Yaris, that you are deriding (which I agree is ugly and too small for my tastes) has a 5 star crash rating, which reinforces what I said about SUVs being unsafe to other vehicles. If we all drove cars and small trucks, we would all be on a level (safer) playing field. Of course, if a Tahoe hits a Yaris, the occupants of the Yaris are f**ked, but does that making driving a Tahoe right? Anyway, I've travelled extensively and I think about the future. There are a lot of great vehicles sold in Europe and South America that get great gas mileage and are fun to drive. I would say that 80% of the customers I have sold Silverados, Tahoes or Suburbans to don't need them. An Equinox or an IMpala with snow tires would be all they need, but somebody somewhere has convinced them that the SUV is safer.

Maybe the same politician who decreed odd number plates could gas up on odd numbered days and even numbered plates could gas up on even numbered days.....

U.S. gas taxes are decided by states, not the federal government.

The feds impose a tax of 18.4 cents per gallon of gasoline, and then the States impose a tax on top of that. In California, it's an additional 27 cents per gallon. In my opinion, the gas tax is way too low, but there are huge economic repercussions to raising it.

Hey now, my mom drives a 2004 Explorer with the 4.0L V6.  We got it because she drives a 40 mile round trip to and from work each day on poor county roads, and during the winter those roads are pretty trecherous.  Her school also has a tendency to be stubborn in cancelling classes for snowstorms.

It's also our family vehicle that we use on trips and we needed the rear space for my sister's club she's in where they regularly build stage props and need to transport them.  Besides, the gas mileage it gets now is about equivalent to what the wheezy Windstar was getting toward the end of its life.

[post="47481"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

oh she could do the same thing with an Impreza hatchback! LOL!

oh she could do the same thing with an Impreza hatchback!  LOL!

[post="49436"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, the nearest Subaru dealer is in Omaha, which is an hour drive away. Second, my dad would never buy a Subaru...he's only owned one import in his life, a diesel Volkswagen Rabbit back in the 80s.

We got the Explorer for a steal because it had some hail damage on the hood, but the dealership replaced it for free. I believe they paid $21,000 for a like-new 2004 Explorer XLT with only 28 miles on it. And this was last February...we've had it for close to a year now.

Personally, I was hoping they'd look at a Five Hundred though...

Well, the nearest Subaru dealer is in Omaha, which is an hour drive away.  Second, my dad would never buy a Subaru...he's only owned one import in his life, a diesel Volkswagen Rabbit back in the 80s.

We got the Explorer for a steal because it had some hail damage on the hood, but the dealership replaced it for free.  I believe they paid $21,000 for a like-new 2004 Explorer XLT with only 28 miles on it.  And this was last February...we've had it for close to a year now.

Personally, I was hoping they'd look at a Five Hundred though...

[post="49489"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i was joking about the subaru....i totally get why she has an explorer...tough, durable and can traverse inclement weather. the impreza is nowhere large enough or durable enough to take the pounding you'd incur in an explorer.

if you want em to get a 500, wait until the duratec 35 hits market...just my real life advice.... Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0