I'm in automotive hell

...but they need to think ahead, dammit. Thinking 6 months ahead is what brought us to our current cluster****. Two years from now, fuel prices will be way up, and given peak oil and the middle east cluster**** they ain't gonna go back down.

HHR Diesel FTW!

Chris

Alas, in these troubled times, GM is probably only looking a week or two ahead. :(

As far as diesels, I'd love to be able to get a 2011 Grand Cherokee TDI or a 2011 Challenger TDI, w/ 6speed manual...drool. Or a CTS or Camaro w/ diesels.

Edited by Cubical

You know, why hasn't carbon fiber tech hit super high scales and come down in price?

You would think that the automakers would be demanding lighter and strong materials for their cars to improve gas mileage instead of keeping making them heavier.

I have no idea.. I've wondered if why the cost of CF hasn't come down is maybe it is very expensive to manufacture, even in volume? Or why don't we see more titanium or magnesium, like in mountain bikes? Too expensive to manufacture--even in volume-- relative to steel or aluminum?

I doubt if the mileage will be that good...I would think the Equinox will be as heavy or heavier than the Vue (which is over 4000lbs)--it's larger than the Vue, I think.

the epa is rating it at 32 hwy. lots of ecotec vehicles exceed their epa numbers if you go to web sites where they post real world mpg figures.

the equinox aint that much heavier in fwd form than a malibu and even then at highway speeds aerodynamics and frontal area are bigger detriments than weight at crusing speed.

I have no idea.. I've wondered if why the cost of CF hasn't come down is maybe it is very expensive to manufacture, even in volume? Or why don't we see more titanium or magnesium, like in mountain bikes? Too expensive to manufacture--even in volume-- relative to steel or aluminum?

Because Boeing is buying up all of the carbon fiber manufacturing capacity in order to build their Dreamliners.

Alas, in these troubled times, GM is probably only looking a week or two ahead. :(

As far as diesels, I'd love to be able to get a 2011 Grand Cherokee TDI or a 2011 Challenger TDI, w/ 6speed manual...drool. Or a CTS or Camaro w/ diesels.

You might just get a 2.9L diesel V6 in the CTS Cubical, that migh happen and in the GC as well. As for the rest I highly doubt it.

I've driven an Equinox with the base V6. I'd accept 18 around town in exchange for torque and smoothness like that.

So would I, then again why do you think I have one? The Torrent has 13,500 on it and has had one little issue other than that it has run like a top.

Edited by gm4life