Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Such a tragedy

Guy out driving his 20 hour old Camaro SS gets rear ended by a punk teenager with no insurance or driver's license.

http://jalopnik.com/5247902/this-is-what-a...o-ss-looks-like

After learning what a totaled Dodge Challenger looks like, we've now seen what a totaled Camaro SS looks like. Better still, it was only 20 hours old! Ouchgasmic gallery below.

Bye, Bye Mr. Camaro

According to Camaro5, this brand spankin' new Camaro SS was reduced to a pile of scrap by an uninsured and unlicensed teenager ridin' dirty in a Ford Escape. We're not sure about the owner, but we would have kicked this kid's ass. Twice, for good measure. (Hat Tip To Cameron!) [via Camaro5]

2010_Camaro_Crash_Jalopnik-topshot.jpg

You know, when I was working for Jeep a few years ago, and did media days at the LA auto show, there were these men that were walking around with a taylor's tape and a stanley tape measure. They were measuring everything on cars and writing them down.

I went up to them and asked them what they were doing and they told me they were from some insurance industry consulting group. The man said "the minute one of these gets driven off the lot, is the same minute on will get into an accident."

Truer words were never spoken.

Looking at the photos, I'm impressed how well it held up. The roof looks pretty straight... looks like the driver's door would even open and close. Looks like the third member didn't move.

Granted, who knows how hard the hit was, but that looks pretty hard to have basically stopped at the rear wheels.

Still sucks though.

Wouldn't have happened if GM made a Firebird! JK ;-)

You know, when I was working for Jeep a few years ago, and did media days at the LA auto show, there were these men that were walking around with a taylor's tape and a stanley tape measure. They were measuring everything on cars and writing them down.

I went up to them and asked them what they were doing and they told me they were from some insurance industry consulting group. The man said "the minute one of these gets driven off the lot, is the same minute on will get into an accident."

Truer words were never spoken.

So true...

Wow, rear ended so hard that it drops the curtain airbags. I hope the owner will be okay, and has NCR on his car insurance policy.

As for the kid, he made a poor choice, and now he must be responsible for his choices. If not, this is only the beginning of his menace on society.

He had replacement coverage and is already due to receive a new car any day now.

I was pretty sickened seeing those photos. Anyone need an RS/2SS parts car? :mind-blowing:

Glad to hear he had NCR on his policy. I get it anytime I get a new car for situations just like this. I used NCR when the Avalanche was totalled in the rollover accident a few years ago. I have to say that its worth it's weight in gold. If he is due to receive his new Camaro, then it appears he is having the same success with it than I did.

They ought to throw the book at uninsured teenagers...or anyone uninsured for that matter.

My mother got rear ended by an uninsured 16 year old girl and let the girl off the hook because she felt sorry for her. Mom didn't seem to understand that if you let them off of the hook they will just do the same thing again.

Glad to hear the guy is going to get another 'maro.

Chris

WOW, I can say if a kid did that to my new ride he would be in the hospital. I am not sure I could hold myself back from beating him to within a hair of his life.

Kids like this really need to be trashed to understand just how stupid and the responsibility they have to replace what they damage.

...a friend of mine beat the utter living crap out of someone who ran into his Firebird drunk. The police officer just stood there and laughed his ass off, and then took the drunk to jail.

The body shp did a nice job on the Bird, so the only real injuries were to the drunken idiot.

Chris

:scratchchin: Donor car for project Camino?

Hmmm...hack off the bodywork behind the doors and weld/duct tape on the rear frame, bed and rear cab from a Silverado or Avalanche...

Edited by Cubical

That drivetrain (and the seats) would be nice to upgrade an '86 El Camino SS (those were neat looking cars, had a Monte Carlo SS style nose).

I owned an '87, and yeah, it would be cool.

But it's my '77 I am thinking of right now, and a '10 Camaro drivetrain would be quite nice.

...a friend of mine beat the utter living crap out of someone who ran into his Firebird drunk. The police officer just stood there and laughed his ass off, and then took the drunk to jail.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: to your friend and the cop.