Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Honda Insight first-ever hybrid to become Japan's #1 selling auto

7 posts in this topic

Filed under: Car Buying, Trends, Economy, Hybrids/Alternative, Green, Japan, Hatchbacks, Honda

honda-insight-drive-1280-11_opt.jpg
2010 Honda Insight - Click above for high-res image gallery

In a historic move that's sure to irk their archrivals in Toyota City, Honda's new Insight has become the first-ever hybrid vehicle to top the sales charts in Japan. By shifting some 10,481 units last month, the teardrop-shaped model became Nippon's best-selling car in April, a feat no gas-electric car has managed previously. That's according to the Japan Automobile Dealer's Association, which tracks vehicle sales (in the interest of full disclosure, the group's findings exclude 660cc "kei" cars).

Those 10,481 units vaulted the Insight from its slot as Japan's 21st best-selling model in March, a major jump that's likely down to production ramp-up and increased consumer awareness (Honda launched the car on February 2). The Insight, which starts at 1.89 million yen ($19,190) outpaced its brother, the Honda Fit/Jazz hatchback, while Toyota's Vitz (Yaris) finished in third, Ironically, Toyota's Prius rung up in 21st place, but the third-generation model isn't expected to go on sale until May 18, and Toyota has already cut the iconic model's base price in order to be more competitive with Honda's upstart. Press release after the jump.

[source: Honda]

Continue reading Honda Insight first-ever hybrid to become Japan's #1 selling auto

Honda Insight first-ever hybrid to become Japan's #1 selling auto originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 11 May 2009 11:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=M-bbkEiLWXE:9LXFhoWYRxE:wF9xT autoblog?i=M-bbkEiLWXE:9LXFhoWYRxE:V_sGL
M-bbkEiLWXE

View the full article

This is a MUCH nicer can than the Prius...however, if I were to buy a Honda it would have to be a Civic SI...

Chris

Just as butt ugly as the Prius, both can die and never come back. :puke:

Its a better looking Prius and its from Honda so I say job well done. Anything to keep those ugly-a$$ Toyota Prius's off the road. I actually kind-of like it and Honda has a green car cred they actually deserve, unlike Toyota.

...and it drives a billion times better than a Prius also....

Also wouldn't be suprised if real world MPG weren't better. One of the local TDI guys had a Prius rental in California when he went out with his wife...only got 39-41 MPG.

You can get 35 driving a Cobalt carefully...so what's the damn point?

Chris

...and it drives a billion times better than a Prius also....

Also wouldn't be suprised if real world MPG weren't better. One of the local TDI guys had a Prius rental in California when he went out with his wife...only got 39-41 MPG.

You can get 35 driving a Cobalt carefully...so what's the damn point?

Chris

35mpg is not very much, though. Having a diesel that got 55 mpg 20+ years ago spoiled me, as far as mileage goes :)

Edited by Cubical