Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Anybody looking for some 1970's PILLARLESS STYLE???

Favorites of this genre:

75-77 Cutlass Supreme coupe

However, of the sedans:

I would have to say 75 GrandVille Brougham

These were nice boulevardiers

The examples of that model Cutlass, rendered in black, with the chrome or stainless trim 'round the T-Tops were/are stunning. Even today when I see a rare survivor on the road.

That is a sweet land yacht... though my favorite years of the C-bodies like that are '71-72 when the bumpers were smaller.

My favorites of the '70s GM land yachts are the '71-73 Impala sport coupe, '71-73 Buick Riviera, any '71-72 B- or C- coupe, 4dr ht, or convertible.

Edited by Cubical

Not an ounce of stylistic detail or inspiration in the entire 18 feet.

I thought you would have liked that...the old 98s, the "rolling cathedrals," as I call them.

But you do like the 75-76 GrandVilles, no?...they say roomy, well-proportioned and competent, but with a sportier Pontiac personality and styling cues. I especially liked the coupe with a landau and rallye wheels. I'd feed the 400 or 455 if I could manage to drive less.

I thought you would have liked that...the old 98s, the "rolling cathedrals," as I call them.

But you do like the 75-76 GrandVilles, no?...they say roomy, well-proportioned and competent, but with a sportier Pontiac personality and styling cues. I especially liked the coupe with a landau and rallye wheels. I'd feed the 400 or 455 if I could manage to drive less.

The Grand Villes were awfully nice also...of the '75-76 GMs, I esp. like the Buick Electras...really like the front end w/ the rectangular lights, and the cool taillight design...like the '76 Caprice also. I generally prefer the '71-72s of the B and Cs, because the bumpers were smaller and better integrated, and the sides were more sculpted on some (Buick and Cadillac in particular lost some of their sculpting by '74-75).

Edited by Cubical

I'm down for the 75-77 Cutlass thing, myself. Awesome cars. One of my teachers in high school had one of the 77-78 Olds 88 pace car replica's....NICE car...

Chris

I've actually seen two seperate versions of the Pontiac Aerocoupe running around Columbus here. One is silver and I honestly forget what color the other one is.

Chris

I've actually seen two seperate versions of the Pontiac Aerocoupe running around Columbus here. One is silver and I honestly forget what color the other one is.

Chris

I believe that they were all silver from the factory, I can't swear to it though.

The '86 M/Cs were all white.

Sure, PMD had a touch more of styling/fluidity to the flanks, but they still leave me flat in this era. Latest I would be willing to buy would be a '71 2-dr hardtop (steel roof only), and I think they're borderline ugly, but I like 'em. My grandfather ended his 7-car Pontiac streak with a '76 Gran Ville 4-dr hardtop, burgandy with Rallye IIs. Nice car, but this period is such a sad drop-off from only 10 years earlier...

True- GM 'de-engineered' the A-bodies from the big cars... but once their sales numbered swelled to pass the F/S (and the 1st 'fuel crisis' hit), it seems development money was shifted away from the big cars. The effort just wasn't as strong as traditionally...

Really after even about 68 or 70 the big cars started to suffer IMHO.

Although I wouldn't mind a fullsize Buick, Pontiac or Cadillac ragtop from 75-76. I've always had a soft spot for the end of the line fullsize GM ragtops, personally.

Probably never get around to getting one, but....

Chris

>>"Really after even about 68 or 70 the big cars started to suffer IMHO."<<

Agreed. Case in point:

Pontiac

1967 ~

Full-size : 386,585

A-/F-Body : 379,118

1968 ~

Full-size : 403,284

A-/F-Body : 437,999

As a Pontiac guy, '67 is the last aspirational F/S Pontiac for me (I DO like the '68 GP tho).

There were no '85s, the Aerocoupe was only built in '86 and '87.

The 86s are very,very, rare.

The '87s are rare, but not terribly rare.

My bad, Yup I always get the dates mixed up, but still I love that body style and they were rare but hot looking. Take one and drop in a 502 Ramjet crate engine and sit back and have a blast. :P

WOW, Amazing that someone built a site for the rare 200 1986 Areo builts. Check it out, pretty cool. 1986 Areo Tracking, cool web page

Over all a very cool web site, Monte Carlo Web Site

Course love this black one here: Black Beauty Monte Carlo here

Also the Maroon is what really made me fall in love with this car, this is about near perfect: Perfect Maroon Monte Carlo SS Areo

Edited by dfelt

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1156619789.html here is an Honest to goodness '86 Aero Coupe.

then there is THIS idiot: http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/1145388034.html - keep in mind: YOU ONLY GET ONE AT THIS PRICE!

And the Poncho version: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/1149930281.html

That first one is in my backyard...