GM plans to sell China built cars in US

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/12/report-...-u-s-consumers/

A planning document given to lawmakers by General Motors reportedly shows that the Detroit-based automaker plans to ship 17,335 autos from China for sale in the U.S. in 2011. If GM succeeds in importing vehicles to the U.S. from China, it could be the first automaker to do so.

The document doesn't show which vehicle would be brought over from the land of the Great Wall (we'd take the Buick Regal, above), but it does provide GM's volume plans through 2014. By that time, GM plans to triple its China to U.S. exports to 51,546 units. While 51,546 sounds like a lot of cars, it only represents 1.6% of the planned 3.1 million (perhaps optimistic) sales the General is expecting five years from now.

Regardless of the quantity of vehicles coming in from China, union leaders are none too pleased with the development, says Automotive News. The 12-page document also showed increased production in Mexico, with annual units rising from 317,763 in 2010 to 501,316 in 2014. South Korea, which will likely make new vehicles like the Chevrolet Spark, will increase production from 36,967 in 2010 to 157,126 in 2014. In an open letter, UAW legislative director Alan Reuther has gone on record saying that GM "should not be taking taxpayers' money simply to finance the outsourcing of jobs to other countries."

While many would expect the U.S. to be the big loser here, virtually all of the related production loss occurs in Canada. According to the 12-page document, U.S. production would continue to represent two thirds of the overall sales volume for the next five years, while Canada is slated to lose 101,000 units.

The govt's takeover of GM was the beginning of the end... this finally puts it to rest. After being a long time loyal fan of GM, this will cut the last string that clings me to them.

Looks like I'll have a Ford lineup in the garage within the next few years.

Maybe the Union should have changed their attitudes and quick being cocky assholes. Now GM is gonna screw them over. As for this Im not for Chinese cars or anything for that matter. Stuff made their just seems cheap and poorly made so I don't expect to buy any of that garbage.

Weak dollar, China imports more oil in April driving demand, globally, higher.

What I have difficulty in squaring, philosophically, emotionally and practically is seeing the United States, the North American Continent's preeminence being usurped over the span of my adult work career.

It is as though that a film company has wrapped principal photography and is in the process of hurriedly and haphazardly striking the sets and getting out of town, so rapid is the decompression. Makes my head spin.

Even as withering criticism is being leveled at the UAW, Unions, skilled and unskilled and labor here is being assailed, I cannot believe that the perceived wickedness of labor-at-large is at fault.

Perhaps I am wrong in this mind-set of mine.

While I was in Junior High School, coordinated by chance with the very first "Earth Day" in 1970, I read a book by Alvin Toffler, titled "Future Shock". And now, old curmudgeon that I am, I find myself living the 'shock' day-to-day.

Very interesting.

A favorite Toffler quote of mine: "One of the definitions of sanity is the ability to tell real from unreal. Soon we'll need a new definition."

Alvin Toffler

I was told it would never happen a year ago when I said GM could if needed just build cars overseas and import them if needed.

The UAW hates this as they know they either become competitive or lose out. The American public as a whole have no loyalty to buy American much anymore and will have less in the future. This can be a big threat to the UAW to make changes or be gone.

I think this decision has more to do with:

1. If it is the Park Ave, the factory is already up and running.

2. It makes sense to be the Park Ave, since they want to close Hamtramck where they build the Lucerne.

3. BPG dealers need product to make up for the future loss of Pontiac.

4. Park Ave sales are down in China, there is extra capacity there.

5. The Zeta is already well regarded in the AutoRags.

6. Would add another notch in Buick's "Global brand" status.

7. Maximum return for minimal investment is what GM needs right now.

2. It makes sense to be the Park Ave, since they want to close Hamtramck where they build the Lucerne.

Yea GM really needs a way to turn a profit right now.

I was told it would never happen a year ago when I said GM could if needed just build cars overseas and import them if needed.

The UAW hates this as they know they either become competitive or lose out. The American public as a whole have no loyalty to buy American much anymore and will have less in the future. This can be a big threat to the UAW to make changes or be gone.

Even in the complete absence of the UAW; compete with Chinese-peasant labor? China maintains a standby workforce of 400 million, to fill sick-outs(?), and these subsist on the equivalent of $1 (US Funds) per day. Even Mexico can't match the discount placed upon undervalued human endeavors. Even those most humble as manuel (sp)labor.

I heard Wal-Mart does so well because alot of things they sell are made in China?

Things we once manufactured here.

Textiles, appliances. The gamut.

Now we rely on continually developing nations to do our heavy lifting and drain substantive employment here. It isn't limited to automobiles nor the 'dreaded' UAW.

Why is it the end of the world if GM imports a Zeta from China instead of importing it from Australia?

Seriously, this is a way for GM to get a Zeta on NA shores at a higher price point and a greater profit margin than the last one. Why do you care that the car came from GM-Shanghai instead of GM-Holden?

Why is it the end of the world if GM imports a Zeta from China instead of importing it from Australia?

Seriously, this is a way for GM to get a Zeta on NA shores at a higher price point and a greater profit margin than the last one. Why do you care that the car came from GM-Shanghai instead of GM-Holden?

Good point--these are GM-Shanghai products, not Geely or other 3rd rate products..nothing wrong that I see, as long as the quality and reliability are up to snuff.

I've had plenty of consumer electronics made in China w/ no problems (like my 3+ yr old iPod).

Edited by Cubical

Just look at Great Brittian as that it the path we are following.

Manufacturing has been dying in the US for 30+ years.... of course, they still build cars in the UK, but most are plants owned by multinational companies.

There are still ways to entice manufacturing back to the US and drop employment substantially.

None of them will ever be put into effect.

So everyone better get their college degrees and get ready for a wild ride.

I feel that this announcement will cause at least some people to swear off GM.

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

Cars made by BMW, GM, or VW in China aren't necessarily cheaper than those made elsewhere. It's just that China, like the US, imposes tariffs on imported cars, so manufacturers have another incentive to build locally for local tastes.

Stuff like Geely and Chery are cheap because they are cheap.

BTW, our gas dryer (Maytag) broke, and we've spent a lot repairing it. Anyone know of a good, efficient, made-in-the-USA dryer?

Edited by empowah

Cars made by BMW, GM, or VW in China aren't necessarily cheaper than those made elsewhere. It's just that China, like the US, imposes tariffs on imported cars, so manufacturers have another incentive to build locally for local tastes.

Stuff like Geely and Chery are cheap because they are cheap.

BTW, our gas dryer (Maytag) broke, and we've spent a lot repairing it. Anyone know of a good, efficient, made-in-the-USA dryer?

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/ - New Zealand owned, Ohio produced, Sold at Lowes and Sears.

The govt's takeover of GM was the beginning of the end... this finally puts it to rest. After being a long time loyal fan of GM, this will cut the last string that clings me to them.

Looks like I'll have a Ford lineup in the garage within the next few years.

Not so fast...I just looked at a new Camaro...yellow...finally in showrooms...on the way home from work.

There may be a Canadian built Chevy in my future.

Chris

Things we once manufactured here.

Textiles, appliances. The gamut.

Now we rely on continually developing nations to do our heavy lifting and drain substantive employment here. It isn't limited to automobiles nor the 'dreaded' UAW.

Which is why the only thing I buy from Wal-Mart is kitty litter...they have something that works real well.

I figure Wal-Mart is worthy of my cat $h!ting on it...more or less I hate them...

Chris

Which is why the only thing I buy from Wal-Mart is kitty litter...they have something that works real well.

I figure Wal-Mart is worthy of my cat $h!ting on it...more or less I hate them...

Chris

I buy kitty litter from the grocery, yet don't have a cat.

The stuff from Wal-mart kills the smell pretty good....

BTW, Cubical...how is your Dog doing, BTW?...and oh...with the name change...i've figured it out...you've gotten rid of the jeep, the benz, and the two stangs back in Ohio, and your now driving....a Nissan Cube?

Chris

The stuff from Wal-mart kills the smell pretty good....

BTW, Cubical...how is your Dog doing, BTW?...and oh...with the name change...i've figured it out...you've gotten rid of the jeep, the benz, and the two stangs back in Ohio, and your now driving....a Nissan Cube?

Chris

Nah, I work in a cube...Cube Life 4Ever :)

Still have the Jeep..doggies are fine. I buy kitty litter for my sister's '91 Merc 300CE--if I start the car and let it run 15 min or so, it whizzes out a quart of oil on the garage floor.

The 12-page document also showed increased production in Mexico, with annual units rising from 317,763 in 2010 to 501,316 in 2014. South Korea, which will likely make new vehicles like the Chevrolet Spark, will increase production from 36,967 in 2010 to 157,126 in 2014.

When they are predicting 157,126 Sparks 4.5 years from now, it fails my "numbers pulled out of the rectum" test.

Morals? Quality? Giving meven more money to a communists country that already doesn't like us very much? I can go on.....

Nah, I work in a cube...Cube Life 4Ever :)

Still have the Jeep..doggies are fine. I buy kitty litter for my sister's '91 Merc 300CE--if I start the car and let it run 15 min or so, it whizzes out a quart of oil on the garage floor.

...yeah...I know you work in a Cube...was just giving you some friendly "crap"...

As for the Merc, it's just marking it's territory like the dog does...

Chris

This is good news. I'm excited by the prospect of cheaper cars coming from the People's Republic. Same car for thousands off the sticker--what's not to like?

You are kidding, right?

Chris

...yeah...I know you work in a Cube...was just giving you some friendly "crap"...

Yeah, I think Nissan should market the Cube to office workers--'You work in a cube, now you can drive one!'.

As for the Merc, it's just marking it's territory like the dog does...

Yeah...the old money pits... I think the oil pan gasket is shot. Leaking coolant also now. This one only has 115k, the 500SEL has 178k and no problems currently.

They probably have sewing machines.

O Really?? You know they probably do have sewing machines. I did not factor that possibility, but if a genuine Chinese built sewing machine embodies the same qualities as the fine products they export around the world they will need a backup and why not have some fun at the same time.

Park Ave, maybe.

D-ham closing? Not unless they plan on not making the Volt..or the Volt in China. Judging by the look of it, they should be getting a few Delta based products there...execs have been walking the plant...So......

I still don't see where everybody thinks Buick is going to pick up a bunch of models....

I still don't see where everybody thinks Buick is going to pick up a bunch of models....

Well, Pontiac has 5 models now..if those are all gone by MY 11, Buick is going to have to add a bunch so B-G dealers can continue to compete w/ Chevy dealers

Edited by Cubical

Park Ave, maybe.

D-ham closing? Not unless they plan on not making the Volt..or the Volt in China. Judging by the look of it, they should be getting a few Delta based products there...execs have been walking the plant...So......

Whoops. You're right. With the talk of the DTS and Lucerne going away I just automatically think of that plant as closing rather than being repurposed.

Well, Pontiac has 5 models now..if those are all gone by MY 11, Buick is going to have to add a bunch so B-G dealers can continue to compete w/ Chevy dealers

This is the attitude which has plagued GM for soooooo long and killed Pontiac. Pontiac should have had their sites on BMW Mazda and the like not Chevy . Dealers be damned Buick has never been a volume sales outlet like Chevy and never should be. Compete with Lincoln Lexis not within GM