New Car.. With a Question... UPDATE 6!

Let me first off say gm4life has been talking about another car since last fall, a pre-owned edition to my fleet. I have taken many peoples advice including BV (scary) and I know I AM NOT getting an Aveo5 or G3. With that off my chest, I went to take my FIRST test drive tonight the story is interesting...

First let me say actually my wife is the one who discovered the vehicle I drove tonight, not me or my son. Very odd indeed and she was the one pushing to go see it because she is the one who saw it for sale not my son or I. The car drove well but is in need of new front brakes, and other than that it is very clean besides a few rock chips and one very small dent. The interior is super clean and still smells new, I don't know how given its age and the miles on it. Turns out the owner is a guy we went to church with before we switched to another place of worship, and even knew who we were after 15 years! After the test drive I made what I considered to be a very good offer, (the highest I would pay because he was honest) and he countered. The car is not uber rare or exactly what I want but close, and with the brake work in mind, I am willing to lose the car over only two hundered bucks, but I am sticking to my guns. So the question is after a long casual conversation and knowing the man, should have offered another four hundered less and low-balled him so he would meet me in the middle? I am kicking myself for it because the car is so clean, and its a one owner and non-smoker with maintance records!

He said he will get back to me tomorrow or the following day after he talks it over with his wife. I have a feeling he will accept but at this point I am not willing to give him an extra two hundered for the car, even one hundered although I am still below "good" condition private party on KBB but only by $385. I am just out looking for a deal, and it is a newer car than all the 01-03 GP's I have been looking at. Also the brake work on the front pads and rotors come out to about $250ish when I called my dealer. I am not saying what FWD car I test drove to save it as a suprise if I do infact get it, if someone posts the right year, make, model and trim I will tell. So let the guessing begin, and any comments about my situation let me know.

I am just excited were moving foward slowly and also the guy wanted to secure the sale of the "old" vehicle before he gets his new one and I said we are in no hurry for a car and can wait a week or two easy, while he gets everything worked out.

UPDATE 1

Yes I have offically spilled it was a 2005 Chevrolet Impala LS in Sandstone with bucket seats and one option the premium sound system with CD player. Good job XLR-V who got it right!

UPDATE 2

Still working out a deal with the seller on the brakes, it is more and more likely this will be my newest edition to the fleet. I will have more info on it tonight.

UPDATE 3

Here are some photos of what the car looks like, keep in mind this is NOT the same car but ones that look exactly like it.

2005_Impala_LS_001.jpg

2005_Impala_LS_002.jpg

2005_Impala_LS_003.jpg

2005_Impala_LS_004.jpg

2005_Impala_LS_005.jpg

2005_Impala_LS_006.jpg

2005_Impala_LS_007.jpg

Here are some factory photos and color/paint examples...

images.jpg

2005_Chevrolet_Impala_LS_15U_Sandst.jpg

impala_15U.gif

Color Chip

impala_wheels3.jpg

16 inch Alloy Wheels

impala_52D.jpg

Interior Cloth Example

impala52D.gif

The are seats just like this but with a center console.

UPDATE 4

I got the car for the exact price I wanted if it would not have needed brakes, and the seller put a brand new set of rotors and pads on the front for me. So when his new Impala comes in, I will take delievery of the old one. Prolly in a week or two.

UPDATE 5

He will be getting it washed and filling the tank up for me tomorrow and I will be picking it up on Sat, the 30th about 10 or 11! This gives me a day to get everything in order and ready for the new car, including the insurance... :rolleyes: I am not looking foward to that bill but am to the car, and so is my son! It gives us the afternoon to wax and detail her for the first time tho. Photographs will be posted upon arrival!

UPDATE 6

Haven't driven it much need to get plates on Monday, but my son and I agree it is a great car. He is very excited and likes all the little changes between the 2001 and 2005 LS. I can't believe it is the same car... Anyways here are the photographs in this thread... 2005 Sandstone Chevrolet Impala LS

Edited by gm4life

2004 Bonneville GXP (I wish... most def. not in my price range...)

LeSabre or Park Ave (Close in one aspect, but I am trying to avoid a "real old fart" car for my sons sake...)

Grand Prix GTP (Close, not exactly though...)

Olds Intrigue (A very good guess and your warm...)

I lots of close hits, with either the platform or motor but not both in the right combo.

My son approved of it too, FYI.

Edited by gm4life

Do tell, sir...

Chris

Everyone is SO close in the guessing... It is a GM car and it is FWD, lets just say someone has already mentioned two cars with the exact small motor (and RPO code for it) and also two people have mentioned what platform it rides on, and lets just say I am very familar with different parts of the car.

Edited by gm4life

Closes to a Regal is a Century, not a car kids would approve of really.

No your right he wouldn't approve of a Century but a Regal he would. I said it is an Impala, because someone guessed it, but what year and trim?

Edited by gm4life

Keep us posted. Although another Bonneville would be sweet also if this falls through. When I bought my Miata they had a Bonneville in maroon on the lot...sharp car.

Sandstone is a decent Impala color...But that Bonnie looked soooo good in Maroon.

for some reason GM cars just look "right" in dark colors.

Chris

Keep us posted. Although another Bonneville would be sweet also if this falls through. When I bought my Miata they had a Bonneville in maroon on the lot...sharp car.

Sandstone is a decent Impala color...But that Bonnie looked soooo good in Maroon.

for some reason GM cars just look "right" in dark colors.

Chris

I know, we shall see. He did NOT call me back last night but he said it would be a day or two on Wednesday. So...

Good pick. I know someone who switched from a newer toyota to an older Impala, and they love it.

Thanks well it wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it is a VERY nice car. The 3.8 in the Impala makes a HUGE difference more than I thought 20hp would. Good thing I didn't drive one back in 2001 when I got my base sedan because I could not afford an LS, and would have wanted one even more than I already did. I am still waiting to hear from him on if my offer was accepted.

Edited by gm4life

I ran an errand downtown today and saw one in what I think is the color your getting, GM4life.

Very nice.

Chris

Well it would be nice to get it, but I anything can happen. I like the color too, it just I have a Sand Drift Metallic Impala already and then I will have a Sandstone Metallic Impala. Then again I have a maroon and purple Pontiac as well.

Edited by gm4life

Didn't hear anything today either... Must have gotten busy, if I don't hear anything this weekend I will put in a call to him come Monday. I know he was exploring options and figuring out what he wanted to do... I am just suprised I haven't heard back one way or the other.

The car was not sitting on the main street where I saw it for sale though.

Edited by gm4life

If I may ask, why the second thoughts?

Well I am not having second thoughts but rather moving foward slowly, I would say. The brakes need work and we are still working out the deal on the brakes. He needs the car another two weeks and that is fine but either brakes are getting done or it'll be another $100 less. So were still moving foward on the deal. I will hear back from him in 24 hours with a better idea of what is happening. I'll know more then and keep everyone updated.

Edited by gm4life

Sounds like a good car..I like tan ones.. (not sure why-must be getting older)

I do like the Sandstone Metallic on it, it is a different shade of Gold than my '01 Impala in Sand Drift Metallic. Check out my first post for example photos of what the car looks like. Yeah beige growns on you as you age, my son even liked the color!

Edited by gm4life

I'll send you a set of depends adult underwear to go with your beige car...and then keep a set for myself as I like the color also...

Glad to hear you held on and got the deal you wanted.

Chris

I'll send you a set of depends adult underwear to go with your beige car...and then keep a set for myself as I like the color also...

Glad to hear you held on and got the deal you wanted.

Chris

I am glad too! You know I will prolly need the depends too come to think of it. :smilewide: It will be my sons car and he is looking foward to it, and honestly so am I. Now I'll have two beige Chevy Impala's! Must be getting old... It ended up I got the car for the price I wanted with new brakes so everything worked out.

Edited by gm4life

Sooo glad you got it...and your son is going to love it! What a great practical car for a young man...nice, safe fuel efficient ride to haul your friends on a two hour one way road trip to a ball game.

I hope he takes good care of it.

Chris

Sooo glad you got it...and your son is going to love it! What a great practical car for a young man...nice, safe fuel efficient ride to haul your friends on a two hour one way road trip to a ball game.

I hope he takes good care of it.

Chris

Don't worry he will, trust me. He already got some special mag polish for non-chrome alloy wheels from Mothers at AA. I have chrome polish for my two Pontiac's tho! He is very excited to have a motor just like his dad with over 200hp! He is really excited to have a car without a bench seat, why is beyond me at his young age of 19. He will no doubt take care of it, and he is also looking foward to a sportier car with a cd player, 200 watt sound system and that funky spoiler on the back.

Edited by gm4life

The other thing I forgot to mention was it has a Viper brand remote starter added in 2007. I tried the remote start and trunk release along with the lock/unlock all function as they should. My question being is this something to worry about not working or causing a problem, I know Viper is a good brand but have heard horror stories about after-market remote starts and alarms. Note the vehicle has a factory alarm, the Viper system is only for remote starting of this vehicle. My question being if this was installed right on this Impala LS should it give me any problems? The big "IF" is if it was done right by a professional, which it supposedly was a a window tinting/remote start place in town whom has a good rep. Any comments on that?

Edited by gm4life

My Mom and Dad had a 2002 just like that except theirs was the plain model with the bench seat and the 3400. They liked it while they had it. I am loving my 2008. Cant go wrong with an Impala. .

My Mom and Dad had a 2002 just like that except theirs was the plain model with the bench seat and the 3400. They liked it while they had it. I am loving my 2008. Cant go wrong with an Impala. .

Thanks for the kind words, we have had good luck with our 2001 except for some intake work on it two years ago. I know my son will like the 2005 LS more than the 2001 base, and what sane person wouldn't. Glad you like your 2008 they are very good cars. In my family we have the 2001 Base Sedan 90K, my sister has a 2004 Base Sedan 50K, we will have hopefully a 2005 LS 60K, and my brother/sister in law have a 2008 LTZ with 15K that I helped them pick out. No we have a thing for Impala's that is for sure. :AH-HA_wink:

The other thing I forgot to mention was it has a Viper brand remote starter added in 2007. I tried the remote start and trunk release along with the lock/unlock all function as they should. My question being is this something to worry about not working or causing a problem, I know Viper is a good brand but have heard horror stories about after-market remote starts and alarms. Note the vehicle has a factory alarm, the Viper system is only for remote starting of this vehicle. My question being if this was installed right on this Impala LS should it give me any problems? The big "IF" is if it was done right by a professional, which it supposedly was a a window tinting/remote start place in town whom has a good rep. Any comments on that?

Hey GM4Life, My 1994 GMC Suburban has a Viper system that was installed by Circuit City, with Remote start, Auto crack of the windows, meaning I can put them down only an inch, half way or all the way down from the remote and many more options. Here it is 2009 and after 15 years, it still works great and I love it.

Yes some can have their brain fried if a swap of the battery is not done properly in the car but over all Viper alarm / remote start systems are the best out there. :P

I have put them on everyone of my auto's.

Edited by dfelt

Too bad we don't have a time machine so your family could enjoy the cool impalas of the 60's and 70's.

Lots of families were Impala familes when I was a kid...thinking about how much we've lost makes me sad.

I still want a 72-75 Impala ragtop I think...

Chris

Hey GM4Life, My 1994 GMC Suburban has a Viper system that was installed by Circuit City, with Remote start, Auto crack of the windows, meaning I can put them down only an inch, half way or all the way down from the remote and many more options. Here it is 2009 and after 15 years, it still works great and I love it.

Yes some can have their brain fried if a swap of the battery is not done properly in the car but over all Viper alarm / remote start systems are the best out there. :P

I have put them on everyone of my auto's.

Thanks for good news. That makes me feel alot better, I thought they had good products. It is good to hear from a happy customer/owner of a Viper system.

Edited by gm4life

Too bad we don't have a time machine so your family could enjoy the cool impalas of the 60's and 70's.

Lots of families were Impala familes when I was a kid...thinking about how much we've lost makes me sad.

I still want a 72-75 Impala ragtop I think...

Chris

My son and I would kill for that. The time machine that is.

Aftermarket remote starters can drain the battery if not driven regularly... beyond that there isn't anything I've seen wrong with them. My grandfather had a Viper branded remote starter on his 94 Neon, 96 Windstar, and 01 Caravan without issue.

Aftermarket remote starters can drain the battery if not driven regularly... beyond that there isn't anything I've seen wrong with them. My grandfather had a Viper branded remote starter on his 94 Neon, 96 Windstar, and 01 Caravan without issue.

Thanks Von that is good to know. Keep the thoughts coming...