Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Spy Shots: Oh-So-Good Saab 9-5 rear end and interior spotted

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, GM, Saab

saab-9-5-spy.jpgRumor has it that the next 9-5 is so good, General Motors CEO Fritz Henderson doesn't want to get rid of Saab. We suspect that's more of a ploy to draw in big dollars, but a top notch Saab 9-5 will help improve the value of the perennially struggling Swedish automaker regardless. Judging from these new spy photos of the interior and rear end, the 9-5 appears to be shaping up nicely, at least.

The completely naked though somewhat impeded view of the 9-5's rump shows off smooth, rounded proportions and a chrome strip that runs clear across the deck lid. Also visible is Audi-like LED accent lighting around the tail lamps. Visible from a separate photo is a rakish, four door coupe-like rear window. The A-pillar looks oddly steep, though, giving it a family resemblance to the outgoing 9-5.

Shots of the interior show what appears to be high-end materials with double stitching and chrome appliques. The scribes at CARSCOOP point out that the interior looks a whole lot like that of the Saab 9-4x concept from the 2008 Detroit Auto Show. The 9-5 prototype even has a similar-looking thee-point steering wheel.

[source: CARSCOOP]

Spy Shots: Oh-So-Good Saab 9-5 rear end and interior spotted originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 15 May 2009 10:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=XUVIIEePBqQ:M8NCr2iSTFE:wF9xT autoblog?i=XUVIIEePBqQ:M8NCr2iSTFE:V_sGL
XUVIIEePBqQ

View the full article

These pictures look very good. I'm excited to see the whole thing.

I don't even like SAAB, and I'm still interested to see how the 9-5 turns out. So far, it looks like the finished products will end up being very attractive.

I'm starting to feel I'll like this... people will call it the design a '4-door-coupe', but I think that fastback-like rear end will give us a sedan with a rear end isnpired by the SAAB 99. The rear end camo seems to be as smart as the Insignia's: I think it makes the car look longer than it actually is. My guess is either LWB Epsilon2 but some 4 inches shorter than the LaCrosse, or SWB Epsilon2 with a length similar to the Insignia/Regal.

Now let's hope SAAB finds itself a new, more financially stable owner soon.

I'm starting to feel I'll like this... people will call it the design a '4-door-coupe', but I think that fastback-like rear end will give us a sedan with a rear end isnpired by the SAAB 99. The rear end camo seems to be as smart as the Insignia's: I think it makes the car look longer than it actually is. My guess is either LWB Epsilon2 but some 4 inches shorter than the LaCrosse, or SWB Epsilon2 with a length similar to the Insignia/Regal.

Now let's hope SAAB finds itself a new, more financially stable owner soon.

I thought the 9-5 would be the largest SAAB and was going to be on EPII smaller wheel base. 9-3 to be moved to Delta after next-gen Astra is released and the 9-1 possibly on Gamma.

I thought the 9-5 would be the largest SAAB and was going to be on EPII smaller wheel base. 9-3 to be moved to Delta after next-gen Astra is released and the 9-1 possibly on Gamma.

I read that too, but what I have read so far, based on rumours and the Swedish Car Registry info, is:

1. Internet rumours put the 95's length at approximately 4930mm, same lenght as the euro-spec Audi A6.

2. Swedish Registration says the 95 mules are approximately 4820mm long, more or less the same lenght as the Insignia.

With that fastback or 4-door-coupe look, I don't think that those 110 mm are added to the rear overhang. I think they either moved it to SWB Epsilon and it's the same length as the Insignia, or they used the LWB with a shorter rear section and are cheating on those registry sheets. The white 93 used in the launch photos has a registry sheet that says its colour is silver, so.........

The 93 will be SAAB's largest vehicle. SAAB enthusiasts point to the NG 93 is probably at very early stages of development, and a 91/92 is nothing but a dream at this point.

EDIT - the model names using superscript look cool!

Edited by ZL-1

Yes SAAB 9-3 and 9-1/2 plans are on hold. But if your hypothesis of the 9-5 is correct. Then the 9-3 will not see a significant size increase compared to the current one, and the 9-2/1 must have to slot lower.

I still wish given the latest string of investment in SAAB, GM should not sell it.

>>"Rumor has it that the next 9-5 is so good..."<<

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Yes SAAB 9-3 and 9-1/2 plans are on hold. But if your hypothesis of the 9-5 is correct. Then the 9-3 will not see a significant size increase compared to the current one, and the 9-2/1 must have to slot lower.

I still wish given the latest string of investment in SAAB, GM should not sell it.

GM doesn't have the money to sustain SAAB. It's better for SAAB if they find a new owner.

No more size increases. The game here in Europe is all about CO2 emissions these days. 4900mm is the longest I'd see SAAB going, as it is spot on the A6's size and that is more than enough. The 93 can come in at around 4700mm which is more or less the A4's length. A 4400mm long (Astra hatchback sized) 91/92 or even a shorter hatch version of the of 93 would be enough to reach the volume it needs to be self-sustainable... I don't see SAAB going any smaller (though I'd like to see some kind of competition to the MINI from them) because they apparently rejected the Gamma (2012-Corsa) platform as unsuitable to build a premium product, and right now they need to focus on their core products.

Edited by ZL-1

Rear end is very, very nice. Looks inspired by the Aero X concept.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0