Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Notice any license plate ... oddities?

We've seen witty/interesting license plates, such as these in IL:

BMW AT 40, Pontiac Grand Am

TUTH D K, Honda Civic coupe

...BUT ... have you noticed any plate ... ODDITIES?

One morning on the way to work, I happened to glance in my rear-view mirror ... and thought I saw the word "S E X" on a license plate. As I waited to turn left off Route 58 onto Barrington Rd, the vehicle went past ... and I looked at the rear license plate ... and noticed that it was a generic IL plate that had "X35" as the first 3 characters. Wonder how THAT got past the IL sensors...?!!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"And the simple truth so very much clearer" ... Everything ... 'Hooch'

• 2 weeks later...

On my drive from SC and back

White VW Golf Convertible

FL Tag WAAAAGH

Beige Jaguar X-Type

GA Tag FOTOGPH

Green Caddy Escalade

NC Tag JUS&TIA

Beige Town Car

MI Tag BRRRRRR

White Honda Accord

FL Tag HONDA10

Silver Mercury GM

FL Tag BED ROM

• 3 weeks later...
I saw a new Mercedes with an old style blue and yellow non-reflective California plate the other day...

Don't really understand how that one happened...

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Those old style plates are generally acceptable on OLDER cars.....as collector plates/time period plates.....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

"Life has a funny way of helping you out" ... Alanis Morisette ... 'Ironic'

I saw a funny one the other day:

it was some goofy arrangement of letters & numbers on a NH

plate that spelled out "player" or [ebonics] playa' [/e] but it

was on something very NOT sexy like a Honda Odyssey or

maybe a Lexus RX330... or some other modern unimpressive

"Japanese-one-box" $hitpile.

• 1 month later...
DNTBH8N

I kinda like that one.... Was it on a Mustang, too, or?

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

"What's it gonna take to lay a few burdens down?" ... Newsboys ... 'Million Pieces'

By pure coincidence in Maryland for 10 years I had "OCN BLU" on my license plate. :AH-HA_wink: I hated to give it up.

Speaking of Maryland plates... a few years ago I noticed that Maryland plates switched from 6 characters (with a Maryland symbol in the center) to 7 characters... but I swear every 7 character Maryland plate I see has an 'M' in it (not counting special or vanity plates). Granted, the position of the M jumps around, but that seems to defeat the purpose of going to 7 characters.

NJ plates are just now reaching the end of the current ZZZ 99Z format... I am hoping we don't switch to 7 digit, as that experiment in 1994 or so resulted in some hard to read plates.

My main plate will be celebrating its 20th anniversary at the end of next month. Time flies.

I kinda like that one.... Was it on a Mustang, too, or?

Nah, It was on a late 90's early 00's Suburban with limo tint and moderate 19 inch chrome 5 spokes.

Speaking of Maryland plates... a few years ago I noticed that Maryland plates switched from 6 characters (with a Maryland symbol in the center) to 7 characters... but I swear every 7 character Maryland plate I see has an 'M' in it (not counting special or vanity plates). Granted, the position of the M jumps around, but that seems to defeat the purpose of going to 7 characters.

NJ plates are just now reaching the end of the current ZZZ 99Z format... I am hoping we don't switch to 7 digit, as that experiment in 1994 or so resulted in some hard to read plates.

My main plate will be celebrating its 20th anniversary at the end of next month. Time flies.

That's just our "multipurpose" plate, the ass-ugly standard-issue for SUVs and minivans. The position of the 'M' jumps around once that series is through (123M456 just ran out, so now we're on 12345M6). Passenger cars (sedans/2-doors) are the ones that get our 6-digit plates with the state symbol, only we switched to a new format around 2004 since the old ABC 123 ran out. Then pickups/trucks up to a certain GVWR get their own format.

I don't think any other state subdivides their plates' serial numbers as much as we do.

That's just our "multipurpose" plate, the ass-ugly standard-issue for SUVs and minivans. The position of the 'M' jumps around once that series is through (123M456 just ran out, so now we're on 12345M6). Passenger cars (sedans/2-doors) are the ones that get our 6-digit plates with the state symbol, only we switched to a new format around 2004 since the old ABC 123 ran out. Then pickups/trucks up to a certain GVWR get their own format.

I don't think any other state subdivides their plates' serial numbers as much as we do.

Ahhhh! That explains it! I didn't notice that it varied with the vehicle type. I'm used to special formats having some sort of descriptor (livery, commercial, farmer, etc.) I can't believe Maryland was still using ABC 123 in 2004. In NJ we exhausted those combos around 1973 and reversed them. (Dad's '67 Camaro had ABC-123, family '74 Nova got 123-ABC.).

Cool state-by-state descriptions of plate formats...

http://www.15q.net/usindex.html

I saw a very odd plate on a maroon Expedition this morning...I noticed it after it had passed me, couldn't see closely, but the plate was dark red or black, with 4 digits/letters and a yellow triangle on the right side. No idea what state issued that.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

• 3 weeks later...

Nice find ... and definitely a cool link! I'll have to mark that one ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

"All of the chaos makes perfect sense" ... Joe Diffie ... 'Third Rock From The Sun'

Ahhhh! That explains it! I didn't notice that it varied with the vehicle type. I'm used to special formats having some sort of descriptor (livery, commercial, farmer, etc.) I can't believe Maryland was still using ABC 123 in 2004. In NJ we exhausted those combos around 1973 and reversed them. (Dad's '67 Camaro had ABC-123, family '74 Nova got 123-ABC.).

Great website.

Found one oddity on the website it self.

co03.jpg

In case any Jersey local folks were interested, I recently tripped over the new plate format... after we use up the current ZZZ 99Z ( currently at ZBx 99x and counting), we are reversing it to Z99 ZZZ. No seven digit general purpose plates!

I've always wanted a "personalized" license plate, but felt it should reflect the 'car' more than 'me' (especially since I don't go by any nicknames). Being a Star Wars fan, I figured maybe something that relates to that - for example, when I had the dark gray '07 SKY I contemplated getting 'DRKJEDI' (Dark Jedi), but balked. Now that the AURA lease is coming to an end, and it's likely I will be buying my next vehicle, I'm trying to think up some ideas for a personalized plate. Since I don't know what kind of vehicle I'm going to get is making it hard.