How GMs Six-Speed Transmissions Work

"improves acceleration & performance"

Yes, if the ratios are reshuffled.

In the case of the Allison 5-spd & 6-spd; 6th gear was an added-on double overdrive.

Gear 1-5 ratios are identical.

No doubt ratios are reshuffled between 4-spds & 6-spds.... just saying...

"improves acceleration & performance"

Yes, if the ratios are reshuffled.

In the case of the Allison 5-spd & 6-spd; 6th gear was an added-on double overdrive.

Gear 1-5 ratios are identical.

No doubt ratios are reshuffled between 4-spds & 6-spds.... just saying...

Can't forget it is for "everybody"...not just us car nuts...

I like the 6 speed in my Vue, but I do think it kind of hunts a little bit more than I'd like it to if I'm going up a grade (depending on how fast I'm starting out).

Also, it tends to do a little awkward "lurching" type motion at very low speeds (like when I'm stuck in slow moving traffic). Nothing too crazy, but it does feel a little sloppy when it happens. I'm 99% sure though that nothing is wrong with it, I just never experienced that in my 4 speed equipped GM cars.

GM acts like 6 speeds are brand new. Too bad they're way behind the game.

This begs the question--when did the competition first offer mainstream 6 speeds? In the last 10 years, I think? This decade?

This begs the question--when did the competition first offer mainstream 6 speeds? In the last 10 years, I think? This decade?

The 7-series, back in 2002, was first in the US market to have a six-speed torque converter automatic.

Ford, in 2005, had the first non-luxury car - 500/Montego - with a six-speed automatic.

Wait... lessee if I have this right:

An $80,000 car first offers a 6-spd auto in the U.S. in 2002,

and GM is "way behind" for not offering one until what- 2007 ???

Golly.

More to the point, though, when did the Camry, Altima, and Accord have them? And GM still has mainstream midsizers with 4spd automatics..

The 7-series, back in 2002, was first in the US market to have a six-speed torque converter automatic.

Ford, in 2005, had the first non-luxury car - 500/Montego - with a six-speed automatic.

I thought the 500/Montego had CVTs.

Meh, fords new 6 speed "automatics" look to be even better if they actually work... plus they are putting them even in the cheapo Fiesta and Focus.

But its good to see GM putting these things into so many vehicles themselves, it looks good in the public eyes.

There's no way I'd get a Fiesta or Focus with a conventional slushbox, but I would consider one with PowerShift (dual-clutch; similar to VW's DSG). It's amazing technology.

Edited by empowah

There's no way I'd get a Fiesta or Focus with a conventional slushbox, but I would consider one with PowerShift (dual-clutch; similar to VW's DSG). It's amazing technology.

That is what i was referring to by the "Automatic" thing. Those things are computer controlled to act like a conventional automatic but are really just dual clutch manuals.

From what i've read Ford will be offering this "automatic" as the 6 speed in the Fiesta. There will also be a regular 6 speed too

GM acts like 6 speeds are brand new. Too bad they're way behind the game.

Like how Crapry is still using 5-speed auto in 4 cylinder models when its competition even GM, Ford are using 6-speed auto in a 4-cylinder midsized car?

More to the point, though, when did the Camry, Altima, and Accord have them? And GM still has mainstream midsizers with 4spd automatics..

A base Camry had a 4-speed as recently as 2004. Accord as recently as 2002.

Accord still doesn't have a 6-speed. Camry got it's 6-speed in 2007 (though probably not a good example since many of them promptly dropped 2nd and 6th gear)... same year as the Aura, G6. Saab when from 5-speed auto to 6-speed auto in 2006... same year as the Passat and one year after the A4.

The Avalon was proudly sporting a 4-speed back in 2004. In 2003, the only automatic you could buy in a Corolla or Civic was a 4-speed while that same year the only automatic you could buy in an ION was a 5-speed. Corolla still had only a 4-speed as it's only automatic in 2008. If you're feeling nostalgic, you can still buy a Corolla 4-speed auto in 2009, but the 5-speed auto has been made available but only on the XRS model.

Now I've driven a number of Honda 5-speed automatics. I've seen the recall notices for the Odyssey and TL. The question in my mind isn't "Why is GM behind?", the question is "Why is GM's 4-speed so much better than Honda's 5-speed?"

GM knew they were working on a new 6-speed to replace the 4-speeds. GM mostly skipped the jump to 5-speeds because their 4-speed was good and most of their engines have great low end torque, limiting the need for more gears.

I test drove an 09 GMC in January with a 6 speed (The All Terrain Edition) and it seemed sluggish compared to the 4 speed. IMO id rather have my 4 speed than the 6 even though you would get better gas mileage, but hey its a truck anyway right.

So yeah, it pretty definitely looks like these trannys have a belt inside them. Am I the only one that finds that a little concerning? Is this a maintenance item? Is this going to be the first thing to break on the trans? Belts can be made very strong, but considering timing belt lifespans, I have conerns about the lifespan of this trans belt. Is it in air, or in fluid?