Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Whoa, I did int know dat

Coming home from the beach today, it was raining a bit. I had the intermittent wipers on. As it started to rain harder, I turned them up faster, notch by notch, until I got to the fastest intermittent speed. At the same time, I was getting out of town and speeding up on the highway. Then I thought I had a problem, until I figgered it out. As I reached 55 mph, my wipers started working continuously. If I let the car go slower than 55, they reverted back to intermittent. Cool! And an intuitively useful feature.

Have you ever discovered, by accident, any cool features on your car?

Coming home from the beach today, it was raining a bit. I had the intermittent wipers on. As it started to rain harder, I turned them up faster, notch by notch, until I got to the fastest intermittent speed. At the same time, I was getting out of town and speeding up on the highway. Then I thought I had a problem, until I figgered it out. As I reached 55 mph, my wipers started working continuously. If I let the car go slower than 55, they reverted back to intermittent. Cool! And an intuitively useful feature.

Have you ever discovered, by accident, any cool features on your car?

HD radio the dudes had apparently put in my car that I accidentally located last week. Love the HD radio sound.

Yes, we have speed sensitive wipers. I found that out the same way you did. I don't care what everyone says - Chevy put a lot of thought into the Cobalt and it's a fine car.

A little off topic, but I despise speed sensitive radio. The Fusion really soured me on it because it would just double the volume level as soon as I hit 65 then not go back down if I slowed down.

And HD radio is great, the Cooper has it. The only problem is that we've only got a few stations that broadcast in HD.

Edited by Satty

Speed Compensated Volume is not supposed to work that way, at least on my GMs with the feature, the volume went up AND down with speed, and it can be set for sensitivity, or turned off completely.

My friend's mom used to have a Bonneville and it worked just fine, the volume adjusted the way I would've adjusted it for speed. But the Fusion, no matter what setting I had it on (I believe there were 7 sensitivity settings) it went completely retarded. It once went to full-blast at 25mph. That radio got replaced.

Yes, we have speed sensitive wipers. I found that out the same way you did. I don't care what everyone says - Chevy put a lot of thought into the Cobalt and it's a fine car.

+1. The magazine writers are fuel to people's whim. When Cobalt was released. Magazines lauded the level of standard accessories equivalent to loaded Jetta's and Corollas at a lower price.

It fails in the looks department and some questionable fit and finish issues, otherwise it is a great effort from GM.

I found out in the same manner. When it first happened, I exclaimed "WTF?" and turned the intermittent wipers down a notch.

Per the car, my opinion seems to sour the more I drive it; the more I live with it.

Edited by blackviper8891

A car that doesn't suck?

Why not just sell it and get the car you want? 5K should fetch you a decent Jetta.

To the original topic...

When I bought the Bonnie, I knew that the doors automatically lock/unlock when you shift out of/into P.

However, I JUST found out that you can't unlock the doors in R... at least not using the power locks.

Another nifty Cobalt feature is the one where if you use the power lock buttons in the car (not the RKE fob), you have to hit "Lock" twice to lock the car. Hitting it once produces a warning chime, as if to tell you to make sure you have your keys.

Another nifty Cobalt feature is the one where if you use the power lock buttons in the car (not the RKE fob), you have to hit "Lock" twice to lock the car. Hitting it once produces a warning chime, as if to tell you to make sure you have your keys.

I hope that's programmable--that would annoy the $h! outta me.

On my Aurora, I didn't know the steering was programmable until I read about it on a forum. Now it's "firm."

Well, I know what I DON'T have and EXPECTED to have: The LaCrosse does not give instantaneous MPG. Maybe it was changed for 2008, because 2006s and 2007s I've rented, per my recollection, had the instantaneous readout.

So I was expecting it. I still have average MPG and range, though.

The GPs and MCs I've rented have it, and the MCs in 3.5 V6 base form show fantastic instantaneous MPG under some driving conditions.

Maybe Buick deemed it as too distracting.

I hope that's programmable--that would annoy the $h! outta me.

I'm not sure if it's programmable or not, but since I use the key fob 99% of the time it's a non-issue. To me, it's a reminder that says "Hey, you're locking your doors in a a different manner than you normally do. Make sure you have your keys because you're screwed if you hit that button again and you leave them inside."

I discovered the automatic locking system wasn't broken but rather is programmable and somehow got turned off. I <3 that future. That day I also found out I could program the headlights to shut off right away or stay on for a minute after the car was turned off.

One thing I have always liked about Chryslers and whoever else does it is that when you pull on the driver's or front passenger's door handle it will unlock that door.

I've discovered that the car is also smart and won't let you open the trunk while the car is in gear, or central lock the doors if you leave the keys in the ignition. I'm sure other cars have this feature though.

There's also another feature that's related to that ping, at least on my Intrigue and my mom's Venture; I dunno if it's programmable or not, but dad's Sonoma doesn't do it. If you hit "lock" on the central locking with a door open, you'll hear the chime; then shut the door without hitting lock again, and the car locks itself after 5 seconds. I use this pretty much every time I get out of the car, since my keyless entry stopped working.

I found out the other week that our beater 1991 Accord has retained accesory power. The windows can be rolled up after the car in turned off and the keys removed. I thought that was only a newer feature. Who knew?

I found out the other week that our beater 1991 Accord has retained accesory power. The windows can be rolled up after the car in turned off and the keys removed. I thought that was only a newer feature. Who knew?

I love that feature...wish more cars had it. I drove a 9-3 with that feature.

Agreed, it's a damn fine car and I'm thinking one might be in my future...

Parked next to a black SS/TC sedan at lunch yesterday...

Chris

>>"The windows can be rolled up after the car in turned off and the keys removed. "<<

Windows at least used to be wired 'hot'- my '64 GP's power windows work whether the key is in/on or out/off. I believe the power antenna works the same way.

-- -- -- -- --

There's something funky on my Silverado, IIRC - when you lock the doors w/ the FOB from INSIDE, then open the door with the handle- the alarm goes off. I can't figure out why they triggered the alarm to the inside handle just because the FOB is inside the truck. Has happened about 3 times in the last 3 years.

Wife's BMW 735iL:

Power controls on the REAR seats: fwd/back, lumbar, recline etc.

My M.B. 500SEC:

Power headrests, power lumbar, power stiffness selection on seat base

Power automatic seatbelt extender for both front passangers

Hidden, integrated gas can stored inside rim of spare

Fire Extinguisher in front edge of driver's seat on a quick-release strap

& of course, every Mercedes Benz comes with two great safety features:

- Big first aid kit in the parcel shelf or other hidden compartment

- Free basic roadside assistance w/ UNLIMITED MILEAGE & AGE!

So even a 54 year old SL300 gullwing or whatever, is eligible for 3 free

gallons of gas, a free tow to the nearest dealership, free flat tire change,

free lockout help etc.

Sixty8, both my dad's old 735i and my mom's '94 E320 came with first-aid kits (Dad's car was used, though, so the kit was gone), and we actually used the one in my mom's car.

Great inclusion that I'm sorry we haven't continually seen.

Wife's BMW 735iL:

Power controls on the REAR seats: fwd/back, lumbar, recline etc.

My M.B. 500SEC:

Power headrests, power lumbar, power stiffness selection on seat base

Power automatic seatbelt extender for both front passangers

Hidden, integrated gas can stored inside rim of spare

Fire Extinguisher in front edge of driver's seat on a quick-release strap

& of course, every Mercedes Benz comes with two great safety features:

- Big first aid kit in the parcel shelf or other hidden compartment

- Free basic roadside assistance w/ UNLIMITED MILEAGE & AGE!

So even a 54 year old SL300 gullwing or whatever, is eligible for 3 free

gallons of gas, a free tow to the nearest dealership, free flat tire change,

free lockout help etc.

Those are features you discovered or knew about already? I'm guessing the latter.

Why not just sell it and get the car you want? 5K should fetch you a decent Jetta.

I can't. I can't part with it until it's paid off. Even then, it's staying in the family, so it's not an option.

I'm a VW fan and even I know first hand they're hit or miss. Reality bites.

Hit or miss is better than miss, miss, miss with GM.

*Looks at family's 400,000 mile Impala, 300,000 mile Impala, 330,000 mile Delta and 200,000 mile Delta*

I'm sorry, what was that?

Why should I give two &#036;h&#33;s about anyone's experience but my own? Again, it has been miss after infuriating miss with GM and my family. Call it bad luck or whatever you'd like. I don't care. I know which vehicle was reliable for me and I have every reason to tout it over any other vehicle that has disgraced our driveway because of my own personal experiences. Thus, do I care about you or anyone's vehicles here? No. Not yours. Not Z's. Not Sixty8's. Not Satty's. Not Dodgefan's. Not Camino's. No one's. Can you honestly blame me?

I'm sure some random person's Civic making it to 500k is really going to make you go out and buy one, isn't it? Right? You're not hiding any ownership of Civic from us, are you? :P

So your experiences with a 20+ year old Cutlass and a couple of crappy small cars for poor people make GM a bad company from which to buy? I'll bet you'll say the same thing about your Genesis when you have to jump through Hyundai's warranty hoops.

Yes, because that's all my family has owned. All those numerous Pontiacs and Chevrolets were just pipe dreams...

I'm not even counting the Cutlass. I'm fully aware that it being unreliable had less to do with GM than it did other factors. My bitching centered around the fact that it was unreliable, not why it was unreliable. I don't hold GM accountable for that one. All those new or nearly new Chevies and Pontiacs, ranging from Sunfires to Blazers to Silverados, however.... You bet your ass I do.

If you're going to rebuttal, do so within reason. These personal digs based on diddly-squat is rather mindless and ineffective.

Again, 90% of this is self inflicted. Sunfire? Blazer? A pimp offers you a variety of hoes, from the $10 hoe with a bad case of meth mouth to the $1,000 a night hoe. Do you hate on the pimp because all you bought from him were the $10 a night hoes and now half your stuff is missing and you have a bad case of super chlamydia? Or do you realize if you would have spent a little more money you could have gotten something a much better?

So... I should praise GM for their few expensive and reliable vehicles it sold rather than consider 90% of the cheap and unreliable vehicles it sold? That makes total sense. :P

Why should I give two &#036;h&#33;s about anyone's experience but my own? Again, it has been miss after infuriating miss with GM and my family. Call it bad luck or whatever you'd like. I don't care. I know which vehicle was reliable for me and I have every reason to tout it over any other vehicle that has disgraced our driveway because of my own personal experiences. Thus, do I care about you or anyone's vehicles here? No. Not yours. Not Z's. Not Sixty8's. Not Satty's. Not Dodgefan's. Not Camino's. No one's. Can you honestly blame me?

I'm sure some random person's Civic making it to 500k is really going to make you go out and buy one, isn't it? Right? You're not hiding any ownership of Civic from us, are you? :P

Whoa whoa, don't bring me into this. :P

Let me ask you something, Viper. How has your Cobalt been unreliable? Does it start, run and get you to your jobs every time? If so, then it is reliable. Noises in a car do not make it unreliable. Every car made is a machine with quirks, a man-made object. You either learn to live with those quirks (and if you think a Genesis would not have them, you'd be wrong, just live with it for a while), or move on, but until something happens with your little Chevy that is of real concern, stop harping about it, will you?

I like my little trunk opener button hidden in the storage compartment on the left side of my dash, and I am always using my DIC, ahem.

Let me ask you something, Viper. How has your Cobalt been unreliable? Does it start, run and get you to your jobs every time? If so, then it is reliable. Noises in a car do not make it unreliable. Every car made is a machine with quirks, a man-made object. You either learn to live with those quirks (and if you think a Genesis would not have them, you'd be wrong, just live with it for a while), or move on, but until something happens with your little Chevy that is of real concern, stop harping about it, will you?

I like my little trunk opener button hidden in the storage compartment on the left side of my dash, and I am always using my DIC, ahem.

Yep i agree, my car always squeaks when i get out of it, and since it does it every time i get out, it is definitely reliable.

Anyways pertaining to the topic, if i put my transmission in sports mode with 3 people in the car and a ton of groceries and then floor it going onto the highway, it will hold the RPMs well into the red on the tachometer... i was actually a bit scared that it wasn't shifting. Then it proceeded to do its incredibly awesome hard 2nd to 4th gear shift.

Guys, honestly, lay off Vipes. If it hasn't been made abundantly clear since he joined this board, let me spell it out: he likes to bitch. Whether it's rational, logical, or just for attention, the world will never know--but that's his prerogative. It's not like he started doing anything in this thread he hasn't done a million times before. The only thing more obnoxious than senseless bitching is bitching about senseless bitching...if it really bothers you that much, then don't engage it...but frankly he isn't the only consumer in the marketplace with this concern. GM's lack of perceived quality is real--and costing them sales every day in real dollars.

Back on topic.

Yesterday I decided to find out what lengths my Cobalt will go through to keep me from leaving my keys in it, so I played around with it in the parking lot.

- Keys in ignition, door closed: Hit lock button, doors lock as they should with one press

- keys in ignition, door open: hit lock button, doors lock then immediately unlock. Key buzzer chimes continously.

- Keys out of ignition, door open: hit lock button, buzzer chimes three times. hit lock button again, doors lock.

First-aid kits are optional on a lot of Japanese cars, not sure about domestics or Germans.

Well, I did mention the cars that the first-aid kits came in. :P

I think BMW still offers them, at least since the last time I checked.

Have I said it was unreliable?

I followed the line of conversation to where it lead me. Someone brought VW into the conversation, I responded. Someone implied VW was less reliable, I brought my personal experiences into it and so on. Did I specifically mention the Cobalt anywhere when I was speaking about GM's reliability? No. Again, have I said it was unreliable? No. Am I bothered that I've had to put more money into it than I had with the Jetta? Yes. Am I bothered that something is still amiss in the front suspension meaning I will have to put even more money into it? Yes. Do I think it's rather pathetic that a vehicle which was not abused one bit in its life, is essentially in new condition with very low mileage has so many problems? Yes.

Are there any more questions in need of answers?

Guys, honestly, lay off Vipes. If it hasn't been made abundantly clear since he joined this board, let me spell it out: he likes to bitch. Whether it's rational, logical, or just for attention, the world will never know--but that's his prerogative. It's not like he started doing anything in this thread he hasn't done a million times before. The only thing more obnoxious than senseless bitching is bitching about senseless bitching...if it really bothers you that much, then don't engage it...but frankly he isn't the only consumer in the marketplace with this concern. GM's lack of perceived quality is real--and costing them sales every day in real dollars.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be some sort of back-handed compliment or if its of a sneering nature, but it's true. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Vipes, I know this sounds like an excuse, but sometimes a car with extremely low mileage for its age can have its own "demons" to deal with. Typically you'll deal with things like premature rot in rubber things like weatherstripping or suspension bushings or rusting/seizing of some metal parts from lack of use. For the front suspension thing, I'd take a look at all things rubber - any control arm bushings that weren't changed already and the rubber strut mounts in particular. You can do this yourself. The parts aren't too expensive, and aside from a spring compression tool, this portion of the car doesn't require any exotic tools. I will be chanigng both my front struts this weekend or next (fallout from my accdent last year), so I'll give you a heads up on anything if you want.

In my book a low miles car that is only four years old shouldn't have "demons" unless it sat for four years.

Before the Cobalt lovers ensue a flame war, I'm applying this thought to any car, not bashing the Cobalt, so :chill: in advance. :P

Friend of mine's sister bough a average mileage Civic that was at the time 5 years old, and ended up at the shop 3 times in the first six months of ownership for expensive repairs. No excuse for that.

Friend of mine's sister bough a average mileage Civic that was at the time 5 years old, and ended up at the shop 3 times in the first six months of ownership for expensive repairs. No excuse for that.

Depends, if the previous owners didn't maintain it properly, it will lead to expensive repairs. Thats the danger in buying used. Probably also why the seller was selling.

Depends, if the previous owners didn't maintain it properly, it will lead to expensive repairs. Thats the danger in buying used. Probably also why the seller was selling.

That is certainly possible, and yes buying used is a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

As I recall one repair was for a computer malfunction that cost $400 to fix plus tow (the car wouldn't start), one was for a wiper motor, and one was another electronic issue of some kind.

Vipes, I know this sounds like an excuse, but sometimes a car with extremely low mileage for its age can have its own "demons" to deal with. Typically you'll deal with things like premature rot in rubber things like weatherstripping or suspension bushings or rusting/seizing of some metal parts from lack of use. For the front suspension thing, I'd take a look at all things rubber - any control arm bushings that weren't changed already and the rubber strut mounts in particular. You can do this yourself. The parts aren't too expensive, and aside from a spring compression tool, this portion of the car doesn't require any exotic tools. I will be chanigng both my front struts this weekend or next (fallout from my accdent last year), so I'll give you a heads up on anything if you want.

Understandable.

I simply can't fathom these correlating to each other. It was driven daily most times, weekly at the very least shortly before my Grandma passed away. The car never sat for any period of time. It seemed like a perfect candidate for a stress-free daily driver. I wasn't figuring on having to put the amount of money I have into it. That is frustrating, regardless.

If I had the time to do all that myself, that would be wonderful. I don't, however. I'm still slaving away at my two jobs in the hopes of getting the Cobalt paid for atleast by the start of next year. It's due for an oil change, as well, and I'm considering taking it somewhere to get it changed because of my time constraints. This would mark the first time anyone but myself changed my cars' oil during my ownership. I'm turning into a Simpleton. :P

When I find the time, I may take another look under to see what I can find. I originally diagnosed the control arm bushings by doing so. One thing I'm sort of curious about is how well they're holding up. I feel as if they've gone bad on me again. It's starting to get that same 'clunking over bumps' issue back again. There's a faint bit of deviation from the original clunking, however, so I'm thinking it may also be the steering issue that Ocn and others have had. The feel is more pronounced through the steering this time around. We'll see.

z is trying to help you improve your ownership experience, Vipes. Listen to him.

You have mail.

Understandable.

I simply can't fathom these correlating to each other. It was driven daily most times, weekly at the very least shortly before my Grandma passed away. The car never sat for any period of time. It seemed like a perfect candidate for a stress-free daily driver. I wasn't figuring on having to put the amount of money I have into it. That is frustrating, regardless.

Actually, the proverbial little old lady who drives to church once a week and nowhere else is actually pretty hard on a car as short, sporadic trips do not allow it to properly heat up. Plus, those kinds of trips are very light on gas, leading to old gas being used, which isn't good for an engine.