Whoa, I did int know dat

Viper, while I was able to get my steering column replaced under warranty, the service manager said to me "GM will only let us replace the column once", which meant to me it was a common problem and a new column might develop the same loose rattle at the electric motor/gear interface at some point in the future. So far, my car remains tight and quiet after the repair. I don't believe it is a safety concern, just a noise concern. It is my belief that a new car should not have rattles and noises, so I pursued the column replacement, glad I did at this point. For a customer-pay job, however, I am sure it would be horrifically expensive, as it comes as an entire assembly, with all the switches, shrouding, etc. on the assembly.

I had the column replaced in my other Delta car, too, my '03 ION, but for a different reason, the tilt mechanism loosened to the point I could move the column up and down easily by hand with it in the locked position... after 7k miles. I am about to turn over 7k miles on this Cobalt, and it has been a much better car than that Saturn so far, knock on wood.

Anyone else with cool, obscure features you discovered by accident?

Anyone else with cool, obscure features you discovered by accident?

I've yet to actually see it on mine, but the little rest reminder that pops up on the G8's DIC after a certain length of steady driving with the cruise on:

555%20rest%20reminder.jpg

Viper, while I was able to get my steering column replaced under warranty, the service manager said to me "GM will only let us replace the column once", which meant to me it was a common problem and a new column might develop the same loose rattle at the electric motor/gear interface at some point in the future.

I have a major problem with this statement. I do not believe it's legal to only honor warrenty on a part "once." I hope your dealership was simply misinformed, and that the directive came not from GM, but from the dealership management.

I've yet to actually see it on mine, but the little rest reminder that pops up on the G8's DIC after a certain length of steady driving with the cruise on:

555%20rest%20reminder.jpg

Ohhhh...that's pretty obnoxious. Is there a reset button on the DIC to turn it off to your knowledge?

I have a major problem with this statement. I do not believe it's legal to only honor warrenty on a part "once." I hope your dealership was simply misinformed, and that the directive came not from GM, but from the dealership management.

Um Yeah, me too. I had the same problem and they replaced the steering column and all I can say is if the problem returns they are replacing it again. That's what a warranty is for and that's what people buy a new car for- peace of mind. On the rutty snowy icy roads of Canada that rattling was so loud it overpowered the interior fan for noise and irritated me to no end. Why should I have to live with that kind of annoyance on a 2008 model year car?

The CTS had a brake panic mode that I was unaware of. If you press the brakes down with enough force and speed, the car determines you are trying to avoid an accident and it will push the pedal in full force for you just to the edge of the ABS kicking in. It brings you to a stop FAST.

It scared me the first time I "used" it.... but damn if I didn't praise GM for it saving me a few times.

Ohhhh...that's pretty obnoxious. Is there a reset button on the DIC to turn it off to your knowledge?

It's an Aussie thing apparently...but fairly cool. It apparently takes quite a long time of driving with the cruise on to signal it, as I've at least done some fairly typical stints and never seen it, like most owners. That picture was from an Edmunds long-term blog when they finally did. I think you can cancel it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Another feature might be the night panel of sorts, where I can hit a button and turn off all lighting except for my speedo...kinda Saab-like.

Edited by caddycruiser

Actually, the proverbial little old lady who drives to church once a week and nowhere else is actually pretty hard on a car as short, sporadic trips do not allow it to properly heat up. Plus, those kinds of trips are very light on gas, leading to old gas being used, which isn't good for an engine.

The engine isn't the issue, here. It's stellar.

• 1 year later...

Programmable lane-change signal. One, two or three flashes with one flick of the lever... I have it set on three. And if I shut the car off with the wipers in the intermittent position, when I restart it, the rear wiper sweeps once without it being turned on... a nice, thoughtful touch.

Yes, we have speed sensitive wipers. I found that out the same way you did. I don't care what everyone says - Chevy put a lot of thought into the Cobalt and it's a fine car.

+1

I doscovered the speed-sensitive wipers that way too. And I love the fact that I never have to turn the lights on or off anymore. It's spoiled me--if I drive a car without automatic headlights now, I end up leaving them on on accident.

I'm sick of all the auto rags calling the Cobalt "unloved." (coughidiotsatcaranddrivercough)

I love mine. And I don't care how much "better" the dorky-looking Cruze is supposed to be; that won't get me to like it enough to buy one. Naysayers don't know what's up.

The Challenger's ESP/TC systems (along with the ABS system) can be completely disabled by driving the car at around 10 to 15 mph and turning the key to run again. There are no negative consequences, although you have to stop and restart the car to turn the system back on again because the button on the dash is disabled. Driving the car this way also aids in bringing up the kinda slow 0 to 60 time.

1992-1997 Panther cars have an automatic parking brake release when put in Drive, it also won't allow the brake to stay engaged while in Drive. I didn't realize it was an actual feature until a few days ago.

The "KeyDance" Chryslers, even OBD I Chryslers. I've not about it for a while, but when I first learned about it, and that it worked on older Chrysler, I thought it was pretty neat.

So, this stumped me for a while until I read the very lengthy owners manual. Apparently, on the Legacy, the headlight switch is linked with the ignition. You shut the car off, the headlights shut off regardless of where the switch is at. So, in order to turn the parking lights on with the car off... there's a separate switch for the sole function of using the parking lights without the ignition. Nifty, but somewhat over complicated.