Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Return of the 5.0: Ford Exec confirms 400 hp 'Coyote' V8 coming in 2010

31 posts in this topic

Filed under: Convertibles, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Trucks/Pickups, Ford

2010mustangfd_16-580op.jpg
2010 Ford Mustang - Click above for a high-res image gallery

When the 2010 Ford Mustang debuted, there was a collective groan among the pony car faithful that Ford didn't update the aging 4.6-liter V8 along with the 'Stang's new sheetmetal. So when a few spy shots surfaced in January showing a new aluminum engine nestled under the hood of a Mustang mule, we knew the Blue Oval had something else up its sleeve - and now we have confirmation.

According to Ford Australia's product development director, Russell Christophers, FoMoCo's U.S. team is working on an all-new, aluminum double-overhead cam 5.0-liter V8 - codenamed "Coyote" - with output expected to crest 400 hp and around 400 lb-ft of torque. Christophers told Australia's Drive, "I have seen the performance curves and it is a pretty good engine."

The new 32-valve, 5.0-liter V8 is expected to be fitted to the Mustang and F-150 sometime in 2010, replacing the current 4.6- and 5.4-liter mills. With its aluminum block, it should be notably lighter than the current V8, and with the inevitable option of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 making its way under the Mustang's hood, Ford looks to be bringing the fight to the new Chevrolet Camaro.

[source: Drive]

Return of the 5.0: Ford Exec confirms 400 hp 'Coyote' V8 coming in 2010 originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 18 May 2009 15:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=ECPblkZYIro:IZK7od8PEi8:wF9xT autoblog?i=ECPblkZYIro:IZK7od8PEi8:V_sGL
ECPblkZYIro

View the full article

2011 or 2012 Mustang GT premium 6 speed stick will be my next car. Love my 05 GT and the 4.6 mod block is a great engine but I can't wait to upgrade to the new 5.0 and get the new stang's awsome interior.

The new 5.0 and the ecoboost option are going to really challenge the Camaro. the current 315 hp 4.6 is only .3 behind the Camaro SS in 0-60 and .5 in teh 1/4. With all this extra power and very little weight gain the Mustang is very likley to outpace the SS.

Hope GM steps up it's game or the mustangs going to KO the Chevy

Still ugly and the blue is terrible on this car.

I suspect we will see GM step up and keep them even if not better than the pony.

Still ugly and the blue is terrible on this car.

That shade of blue does look terrible...

Re the engine... does this mean will we see a 'Wile E. Coyote' edition of the Mustang? :smilewide:

Re the engine... does this mean will we see a 'Wile E. Coyote' edition of the Mustang? :smilewide:

Can I get a RoadRunner version please! :neenerneener:

I think the new Mustang is hot. It takes the already good looking 2005-2009 and polishes it and refines it to a new level, kind of cts gen 1 to cts gen 2. In performance a 400 hp 400 ftlb v8 in a 3550-3600 lb car should solidly beat the 420 hp 420 ftlbs in a Camaro SS that weighs 3900 lbs. Does Chevy have anything ready or far along in development that would be ready to go to make up the difference. Will they be able to afford to impleement it? I don't know the way things are going at GM right now.

Also what about the 3.5 ecoboost option? thats obviosly a midway point between a base and GT mustang so it would fall between a base and SS camaro price wise but if your comparing engines based solely on number of cylinders it will trounce a 3.6 DI comaro.

The Pony wars are heating up and Ford is in possition to take the lead back from Chevy. Lets see what the next turn of events is...

I like that blue..evocative of 1970 Grabber Blue...they need a Mach 1 package with black honeycomb trim for the rear panel, a hood scoop, black stripes...

maybe GM will pull out the 4.9L DI ....with a turbo? lol the 5.0L race is swithched!!!!

Camaro still looks better.

Camaro still looks better.

I like the Mustang's interior more--nicer materials and SYNC available. I've heard the Camaro has awful blind spots. Do look forward to test driving one, though. I wonder which has better cupholders?

I sat in one at the one dealer, but didn't really notice the blind spots. I know there is probably some though espically the way the little side window in the back is and the way the rear is, but I could get past it. :D

I like that blue..evocative of 1970 Grabber Blue...they need a Mach 1 package with black honeycomb trim for the rear panel, a hood scoop, black stripes...

get the blue while you can, i hear this is the last year for it. something about smurfs going on the protected species list. it takes about 1000 of em for every blue mustang. :lol:

i will say i like the Grabber orange-esque color. the grabber blue... eh. maybe they should throw a calypso coral out there hehe

I've heard the Camaro has awful blind spots.

I'll bet a 3rd or 4th gen Camaro owner would beg to differ. :AH-HA_wink:

I would think w/ the huge rear hatch they'd have good rearward visibility. Haven't ridden in or driven one in about 10 years, though, so I don't recall. Rode in a 4th gen convertible w/ the top up, that had bad blind spots.

Edited by Cubical

I can see EVERYTHING in my 94! :neenerneener:

I would think w/ the huge rear hatch they'd have good rearward visibility. Haven't ridden in or driven one in about 10 years, though, so I don't recall. Rode in a 4th gen convertible w/ the top up, that had bad blind spots.

Visibility is real good straight out the rear. However the big B-pillar, relatively small side mirrors, and the wide rear quarters filling much of those mirrors (on a 4th gen) that create a sizeable blind spot. Not quite convertible bad though.

Visibility is real good straight out the rear. However the big B-pillar, relatively small side mirrors, and the wide rear quarters filling much of those mirrors (on a 4th gen) that create a sizeable blind spot. Not quite convertible bad though.

Speaking of convertibles and visibility, the worst convertibles w/ tops up I've ridden in/driven I think are a 2nd gen Mitsu Eclipse Spyder (tiny rear window), '04 Ford Thunderbird (tiny side windows), and Audi TT (tiny side windows, probably great if you are 5'5").

It will be faster but 0-60 for the new 2010 GT-500 haven't been that great. I think the Camaro vs. Mustang race will be very close.

GM4life

I think your underestimating the new stang. The new 2010 GT-500 posts low 4 0-60 (slowest time I can find is Edmunds 4.3 seconds with several ther sights posting 4.0 and some even hinting at 3.9 ) and mid to low 12s in teh quarter (again with Edmunds being the slowest at 12.4 with several sites posting lower quarter times.)

That it already solidly faster than 4.7 0-60 camaro and that runs the quarter in 13.0.

Thing is the new GT-500 is a porker weight wise and doesn't put down the power terribly well. The current GT with the track pack makes 0-60 in 4.9 and the quarter in 13.5, not bad for a measley 315hp and 325 ftlbs. It does this because it is so well ballanced and engineered and it has a much lower curb weight. The new engine is supposed to be within a couple of pounds of the old 4.6, but it is supposed to get a new 6 speed manual and have a 85 hp and 75 ftlb advantage over the old Mustang. It will likley push the GT much closer to GT-500 performance and should on paper (I know things don't always pan out that way though) beat the SS as it tands now by a decent margin.

Anyways, let the pony car wars begin. We have 4 years before CAFE kills all the cool cars.

Although this engine kicks a lot of ass and will give the Mustang some real gallop, I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro guys have a few rabbits left in the hat. It's gonna be fun! 8)

GM4life

I think your underestimating the new stang. The new 2010 GT-500 posts low 4 0-60 (slowest time I can find is Edmunds 4.3 seconds with several ther sights posting 4.0 and some even hinting at 3.9 ) and mid to low 12s in teh quarter (again with Edmunds being the slowest at 12.4 with several sites posting lower quarter times.)

That it already solidly faster than 4.7 0-60 camaro and that runs the quarter in 13.0.

Thing is the new GT-500 is a porker weight wise and doesn't put down the power terribly well. The current GT with the track pack makes 0-60 in 4.9 and the quarter in 13.5, not bad for a measley 315hp and 325 ftlbs. It does this because it is so well ballanced and engineered and it has a much lower curb weight. The new engine is supposed to be within a couple of pounds of the old 4.6, but it is supposed to get a new 6 speed manual and have a 85 hp and 75 ftlb advantage over the old Mustang. It will likley push the GT much closer to GT-500 performance and should on paper (I know things don't always pan out that way though) beat the SS as it tands now by a decent margin.

Anyways, let the pony car wars begin. We have 4 years before CAFE kills all the cool cars.

I read 4.6 seconds for the GT-500 (2010 model in MT) sure the "new" Mustang will be faster and prolly right on par with the new Camaro, but I still would get the Chevy.

I personally find the front of the Camaro to be really ugly.

The profile and back are ok but that front is kind of hideous.

I personally find the front of the Camaro to be really ugly.

The profile and back are ok but that front is kind of hideous.

I like the front overall, wondering how it will look w/ a licence plate. The worst Camaro front end ever, IMHO, was the later 4th gens with the huge grille and composite lights...

I like the '05-09 Mustang exterior styling overall more than the '10, though I haven't seen a '10 yet in person, just going off the pics..but the other improvements may outweigh that.

Edited by Cubical

Im curious, does anyone know what is coming next for the smallblock? What can chevy do to combat the 5.0? there is the LS7 LS9 and LSA but they are all supercar/top trim engine. What is going to take over from the LS3 down the road? (not that the LS3 is in any way outdated)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0