Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: NASCAR seen fretting over ratings drop

24 posts in this topic

Filed under: Motorsports

carl_edwards_09.jpg

According to Nielsen, ratings for NASCAR on Fox are down by an alarming 11.5% so far this year, and while we're sure that many NASCAR haters will suggest that it's just not that interesting watching non-stock "stock cars" turning left over and over again as they circle oval tracks, race organizers and TV ratings researchers believe there's much more to the decline in viewership than that.

Certainly, the sorry state of affairs surrounding the world's sagging economy doesn't help matters any, and neither did the rain that forced an early end to the Daytona 500, the sport's pivotal first race of the season. Paul Brooks, president of NASCAR Media Group, also points a finger in the direction of Dale Earnhardt Jr, who's second season as part of Hendrick Motorsports isn't exactly going as hoped.

Regardless of its downward ratings trend in '09, it seems most experts on the subject predict the NASCAR brand will pull through over the long haul, although it will be interesting to see if/how the auto industry crisis affects the cash-intensive motorsports series. In the meantime, NASCAR and Fox are reportedly "looking at every angle" to boost viewership in the short term.

[source: Sports Business Journal | Image: Roger Smith]

REPORT: NASCAR seen fretting over ratings drop originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 18 May 2009 17:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=-gbaWUeMmnA:61vzgm6Axo4:wF9xT autoblog?i=-gbaWUeMmnA:61vzgm6Axo4:V_sGL
-gbaWUeMmnA

View the full article

Meh.

Lately, it seems there's either no coverage on racing worth watching (i.e. Rally), or what's out there is just plain boring (i.e. F1).

The only racing that was reasonably entertaining for me was high-speed, long tracks ala NASCAR Sprint Cup. The new car makes things a lot better to watch because they can take a bigger beating before it really starts to dramatically affect things.

Maybe what we really need to do is bring the movie DeathRace to the real world. Already most have a careless attitude about death as people seem to spend millions on watching horror movies and the like. It would be exciting to see who survives a race where the auto's are allowed to have guns installed, oil shooters, etc. We could also add in some jumps and loops to see how well the performance auto's really are built. :P

Kind like Speed Racer. :P

I am sure the ratings will go up then. :D

Edited by dfelt

It has been a while:

LEFT

Maybe what we really need to do is bring the movie DeathRace to the real world. Already most have a careless attitude about death as people seem to spend millions on watching horror movies and the like. It would be exciting to see who survives a race where the auto's are allowed to have guns installed, oil shooters, etc. We could also add in some jumps and loops to see how well the performance auto's really are built. :P

Kind like Speed Racer. :P

I am sure the ratings will go up then. :D

And like a real version of The Running Man. None of this lame-arse 'reality' Survivor nonsense...make the stakes real, the ratings would be through the roof. :) (I'm so cynical, I know..)

Edited by Cubical

LEFT

Probably has something to do with twelve ad breaks every third lap.

I don't watch it...but would watch British Touring car, Rally, etc. if they put it on.

Chris

Doesn't help when they promote the hell out of the Daytona 500, brag about how it's the biggest race of the season, and then call it because of rain. Brian France is running it into the ground anyway. Half the time I don't even watch anymore.

Probably has something to do with twelve ad breaks every third lap.

Chris

or when they give you a "lucky dog pass" to get your lap back. wtf how many other racing groups give a lap back. work for it, you wouldnt have lost it if you had done your homework.

Doesn't help when they promote the hell out of the Daytona 500, brag about how it's the biggest race of the season, and then call it because of rain. Brian France is running it into the ground anyway. Half the time I don't even watch anymore.

brian france has killed the sport as we know it. when they started black flagging people for "aggressive driving" i knew it was over. its almost become professional wrestling on wheels to me. i think what makes me angriest is the fact that the founding core audience has been cast aside due to higher ticket prices and key historical tracks being shed in the name of branching out to other venues. no they got dropped because nascar will make more money out west with people who will throw $100 on a ticket to sit in the cheap seats. its fogotten its roots and now its just one big money machine and thats where the focus has been since brian took the reins.

or when they give you a "lucky dog pass" to get your lap back. wtf how many other racing groups give a lap back. work for it, you wouldnt have lost it if you had done your homework.

brian france has killed the sport as we know it. when they started black flagging people for "aggressive driving" i knew it was over. its almost become professional wrestling on wheels to me. i think what makes me angriest is the fact that the founding core audience has been cast aside due to higher ticket prices and key historical tracks being shed in the name of branching out to other venues. no they got dropped because nascar will make more money out west with people who will throw $100 on a ticket to sit in the cheap seats. its fogotten its roots and now its just one big money machine and thats where the focus has been since brian took the reins.

I couldn't have said it any better.

+1

Real racing would be nice....

LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Not @ Watkins Glen NY !!!

I have not really been vocal about changes because I have been thinking about the best solution to their problem. After seeing the "All Star" race 2 weeks ago, I think I have it.

1. ONLY WINNERS get into the "Chase". Automatically puts winning as MOST IMPORTANT.

2. Make the chase include 1 type of each track NASCAR goes to and the Chase drivers have seperate points from the rest of the field.

3. Get Chase bank to sponsor the Chase for the Cup.

4. LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make them all run cars straight off the showroom floor.

The most EPIC LEFT in this history of lefts with the brake lines gone and the accelerate stuck at WOT during yellow flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make them all run cars straight off the showroom floor.

Then we could truly call it what it's supposed to be "STOCK" car racing!

Here are my suggestions.

• Remove the oval and make them F1 like race tracks - mix of straights, esses, turns, chicanes.
  • Tone down the commercialization of the racing - like when they show the UPS ad they gotta show the UPS car even if its carcass is laying in the pits- so fracking cheesy which will reduce the ticket price too.
  • Keep them as stock as possible.
  • Reduce the tightening grip of unnecessary regulations.
  • Let them run in rain - like F1 let them have rain tires to soak in the downpour.

Get rid of the lucky dog--race back to the yellow.

Get rid of Toyota

Race Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers

Then we could truly call it what it's supposed to be "STOCK" car racing!

That would be cool..change the rules so that each team has to get their car from Avis/Hertz/wherever 4 hrs before the race. Weld in a roll cage, add a race seat, and drive those V6, FWD Fusions, Malibus, Avengers, Accords, Camrys, Altimas, etc as hard as they will go... :)

But seriously, I'd like to see NASCAR move away from cartoon cars and have reality-based styling, production based engines and drivelines.. FWD V6 Malibu race cars, etc.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0