The curse flies into the Prizm

Whoa....you running around a hangar or airport runway???

I used to work w/ a guy who's Explorer got mangled by a plane that crashed into his parking lot. I was always watching out for errant planes when I worked at a company whose lots were adjacent to a busy commercial aviation airport...

Edited by Cubical

Are you talking about the motor of the plane or the car? And are you talking that your model plane crashed with the Prizm or a real one did? :P

Regardless, sorry to hear about the curse.

Are you talking about the motor of the plane or the car? And are you talking that your model plane crashed with the Prizm or a real one did? :P

Regardless, sorry to hear about the curse.

Everything I've said is 100% true, it's just that when I said "small plane" I really meant small plane.

Was taking off and a gust of wind blew the Cub right into the side of the car...didn't have enough power or room to pull up...car's fine but it broke the firewall of the plane and dislodged the motor...the gearbox didn't break this time so that's nice.

Here's the damage:

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

Damaged firewall next to the new one I bought "just in case".

IMG_2901.jpg

This was actually the second time tonight the Cub hit the car...earlier in the evening I was in the process of landing, misjudged the plane's direction and it banged into the deck of the car, too the landing gear clean off. :P

The moral? Super Cubs don't like Prizms. I just figured I'd have fun with the experiences :lol:

The moral? Super Cubs don't like Prizms. I just figured I'd have fun with the experiences :lol:

No - the moral is - you are a bad miniature aircraft pilot. Worse than a 80 year old geezer driving his Crapry in a fast lane doing 40 mph in a 70 mph speed zone and swerving.

Nope. Doesn't hurt be an armchair critic right?

It hurt's my pride. Now where's that tiny violin for you to play for me? :P

Ahh..flying at night..so you were following IFR and not VFR? :smilewide:

Nope, VFR...those LED lights do make a difference, and make it possible to actually fly at night, but per the landing, I get a little nervous trying to lower the altitude and circle around to land when obstructs like trees and poles are nearby. That incident didn't do any actual damage though...just pushed the gear back in.

The 2nd one was just a case of not enough power, speed, and altitude to fight the wind. :P

Oh well, I used it as a great excuse to install the new firewall, the original was already cracked, plus I took the time to take the tail apart and straighten it. Hopefully it'll be more responsive now that everything is lined up properly.

It hurt's my pride. Now where's that tiny violin for you to play for me? :P

Pride can be swallowed, so get over it. :P

I have flown helicopters and those things are greater bitches to control. I can understand how a plane will swerve like a paper in a wind. Battery powered ones are even trickier.

Pride can be swallowed, so get over it. :P

I have flown helicopters and those things are greater bitches to control. I can understand how a plane will swerve like a paper in a wind. Battery powered ones are even trickier.

Yeah mine is electric...has is a hassle and expensive. I want a helicopters, but I can't even fly them in the r/c sims so I'm pretty sure I would destroy it on the first flight if I tried it today. :P

Helicopters are great though because they don't need huge open areas like planes do. If I've got a large enough field or park with not too many obstructions (only found two in the area so far), then it's much easier to fly. A parking lot at night? Not so much.

Hmm....$500+ tool to fly a sub $200 plane...nah I'll take my chances. :P

On that note, I just discovered the prop shaft is bent. :o

hmmm point taken.

maybe this then

http://www.eyeclops.com/

there was a guy that said he soldered in more IR bulbs and it was as good as or better than the GEN I stuff. careful though there is only feed to one eye so theres a depth perception problem... that may get intensified lookin at the pics of the plane :duck:

Interesting...is that styrofoam behind the firewall? I'll admit I know nothing about R/C aircraft. (Plastic model cars and diecast cars are my big hobbies).

Yup, the fuselage, wings and tail are made of foam. It's fairly strong end flexible, but the structure is beefed up with the use of 3M "High Performance" packaging tape, this gives it a lot of strength yet remains flexible enough to absorb energy from impacts. Given the amount of times this thing has had a hard landing or crashed, it's well worth the trade off of it being heavier and bit slower than stock.

The high end planes are made from balsa wood and stuff...but man one crash in those and you can kiss that grand you just spent goodbye!

I have some old plastic models leftover from when I was younger, a few mostly complete B-17s, and a lot of broken parks hanging around, but I find these to be more fun...since you can do more than just look at them on a shelf.

Yup, the fuselage, wings and tail are made of foam. It's fairly strong end flexible, but the structure is beefed up with the use of 3M "High Performance" packaging tape, this gives it a lot of strength yet remains flexible enough to absorb energy from impacts. Given the amount of times this thing has had a hard landing or crashed, it's well worth the trade off of it being heavier and bit slower than stock.

The high end planes are made from balsa wood and stuff...but man one crash in those and you can kiss that grand you just spent goodbye!

yeah we flew back in the day when only trainers were made of foam. i had an EZ-Bee trainer with a tiny glow plug motor. ran for around 5 min then it was a glider from there on out. dad had the telemasters. in fact we have a telemaster 66 thats never been in the air. has about 100 or so hours in it. we have a telemaster 40 ARF that has seen the most time in the sky. We had one we lost on the maiden flight. it sucks hard to watch em go down but those are the breaks.

the new stuff is great though. the Park flyers make it so easy anyone can get into it. ive got a foam park flyer, when it crashes i use the tyvak tape on it.

www.hobby-lobby.com has some great stuff to look at. even videos.

yeah we flew back in the day when only trainers were made of foam. i had an EZ-Bee trainer with a tiny glow plug motor. ran for around 5 min then it was a glider from there on out. dad had the telemasters. in fact we have a telemaster 66 thats never been in the air. has about 100 or so hours in it. we have a telemaster 40 ARF that has seen the most time in the sky. We had one we lost on the maiden flight. it sucks hard to watch em go down but those are the breaks.

the new stuff is great though. the Park flyers make it so easy anyone can get into it. ive got a foam park flyer, when it crashes i use the tyvak tape on it.

www.hobby-lobby.com has some great stuff to look at. even videos.

Yeah they have some pretty high performance foam planes now too, like the T-28 Trojan. Friend of mine has one and that sucker is fast...and when it crashes it's always epic. :P

Super Cubs are entry level planes, easy to fly and not that fast, and they don't have ailerons and flaps, but they are also easy to upgrade to become high performance planes. I'm probably gonna stick with nimh batteries though, Lipos are just too much of a hassle for me to want to deal with.

Yeah they have some pretty high performance foam planes now too, like the T-28 Trojan. Friend of mine has one and that sucker is fast...and when it crashes it's always epic. :P

yeah dad always stuck with the tricycle planes, i liked the tail draggers but they are a lil iffy at take off.

i have a megatech pusher plane. its decent but i want to move up and get something like a piper g3 and hopefully get a ducted fan one day.

I'm probably gonna stick with nimh batteries though, Lipos are just too much of a hassle for me to want to deal with.

there are a lot of airsofters that are moving to the lipo's and they are making gearboxes and guns specifically for them. but the fact that you arent supposed to fully charge or discahrge em is a little tedous to me. i cant stay on top of em like that... plus the cost for the big ones.

This thread is anti-climactic. :P

I knew we were talking Styrofoam & electric motor right from the get-go.