Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Chevrolet Aveo replacement postponed until 2011

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Economy, Chevrolet, GM, Earnings/Financials

chevy_aveo.jpg

According to Reuters, Chevrolet's Aveo replacement has been postponed until January 2011 due to the well-publicized financial troubles at General Motors and its Korean subsidiary, Daewoo. Previously, the Aveo's replacement, codenamed T300, had been expected to bow in April of 2010.

Over the first four months of 2009, Daewoo has reported a whopping 44.5-percent decline in total vehicle sales, which comes as particularly bad news for The General since the Korean automaker accounts for a quarter of GM's total production. Much of that slumping production is being lost to rivals like Hyundai and Kia in oh-so-important emerging market of China, where Daewoo's sales dropped by 3.2-percent even in the face of an expanding market.

In effort to keep the doors open in the face of such heavy losses, GM Daewoo is reportedly seeking additional loans from the Korea Development Bank after running through all $2 billion of its available credit lines. We hope they work it out... suffice it to say that the Aveo's replacement can't come soon enough.

[source: Reuters]

REPORT: Chevrolet Aveo replacement postponed until 2011 originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 23 May 2009 12:04:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=AWmeHu6cvjc:L0fbG6P8ysQ:wF9xT autoblog?i=AWmeHu6cvjc:L0fbG6P8ysQ:V_sGL
AWmeHu6cvjc

View the full article

Sales are likely dropping because the Aveo is a piece of crap. The last thing they should do is prolong the suckage.

The Aveo is pretty pathetic. Its replacement can't come soon enough. However, I think I would probably get a decent used car at that price range anyway.

The Aveo is the worst GM car I have ever driven. IF the replacment is not a big improvment they may as well skip it.

It's one thing to delay the replacement of a good car, but to delay replacing a rolling embarassment is a problem.

The Aveo is pretty pathetic. Its replacement can't come soon enough. However, I think I would probably get a decent used car at that price range anyway.

Ummm that is what I did. With the Impala LS but I wanted a stick so I could teach my son. On a side note I think it doesn't look that bad but the motor is so freak'n small I prolly never could have gotten use to one.

Edited by gm4life

Some family friends of mine got their daughter an Ave - I mean Pontiac Wave and after having used it for highway/city commuting, they've essentially said that they'd have to be paid to drive another General Motors vehicle.

And that's why this delay only hinders GM. I've heard a 'saying' that the best way to test the quality of the restaurant is to eat the hamburger, and not the filet mignon. The Aveo is the hamburger: a lot of younger people, and new customers will purchase the thing, and then next time buy from a competitor, because the Aveo is so bad.

And that's why this delay only hinders GM. I've heard a 'saying' that the best way to test the quality of the restaurant is to eat the hamburger, and not the filet mignon. The Aveo is the hamburger: a lot of younger people, and new customers will purchase the thing, and then next time buy from a competitor, because the Aveo is so bad.

I understand what you are saying but the Yaris is that segment is no better. I do know a number of happy Aveo's scary, I know. Then again they view a car as an appliance.

Some family friends of mine got their daughter an Ave - I mean Pontiac Wave and after having used it for highway/city commuting, they've essentially said that they'd have to be paid to drive another General Motors vehicle.

:lol: it's called a wave of EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the next version is supposed to sit on Gamma instead of the current car's outdated Daewoo sourced platform, it will hopefully be a much better car to own and drive. Unfortunately, the next gen's delay will allow the current gen to chase more repeat customers entirely away from GM. Sometimes being absent from a segment until a competitive product is ready is much better than trying to be present in a segment with an inferior offering.

The delay of this product will give Ford's Fiesta (which appears to be quite excellent) about a year's headstart on getting established in the market. This fact alone is very worrisome. GM's product will need to be a styling homerun and very competitive in terms of engineering/mileage/features to make any impact on the segment.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0