Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Toyota denying supposed hybrid deal with GM?

14 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrids/Alternative, Green, GM, Toyota

prius-hybrid-badge-580x.jpg

General Motors is enduring the worst predicament in its 100-year history, and the Detroit-based automaker isn't alone in its struggle. Toyota is also losing billions of dollars, though the Japanese automaker is far healthier than the General... for the time being. Given the less-than-ideal position of both automakers, a recent report from Japanese newspaper Yomiuri stated Toyota was thinking about offering its hybrid tech to GM made some sense. Toyota could use the cash, and GM might be able to use fast access to additional proven hybrid technology without spending more money on R&D. If GM adapted Toyota's hybrid tech, the system would also become the de-facto standard of the automotive world.

Toyota has denied the report, though, but the Aishi, Japan-based automaker insists that it is always open to sharing its hybrid tech with other automakers where it makes sense. We're guessing the key to sharing its hybrid tech includes other automakers approaching Toyota for help instead of the process working the other way around.

[source: Detroit News]

Toyota denying supposed hybrid deal with GM? originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 26 May 2009 09:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=kp0g1udUT8Q:sgGgyGBBC-0:wF9xT autoblog?i=kp0g1udUT8Q:sgGgyGBBC-0:V_sGL
kp0g1udUT8Q

View the full article

This makes no sense. Why would GM even want Toyota's hybrid technology when they have a pretty damn good system of their own?

It's a shame they can't seem to actually deploy it.

This makes no sense. Why would GM even want Toyota's hybrid technology when they have a pretty damn good system of their own?

It's a shame they can't seem to actually deploy it.

If they can't get it out there then I think its time to hire new engineers?

If they can't get it out there then I think its time to hire new engineers?

I think it's a battery supplier problem.

Why Toyota, and not Ford, who has a better system, and is a fellow 'Domestic' brand?

Why Toyota, and not Ford, who has a better system, and is a fellow 'Domestic' brand?

I thought Fords was based on Toyota's system. They did not develop their own. I could be wrong.

I thought Fords was based on Toyota's system. They did not develop their own. I could be wrong.

You are.

Ford developed their own system, but it was similar enough to Toyota's that they pay Toyota an extortion fee to prevent lawsuits.

You are.

Ford developed their own system, but it was similar enough to Toyota's that they pay Toyota an extortion fee to prevent lawsuits.

OUCH, that really sucks.

Guess then Toyota +1

Another reason for GM to NOT use their system and get our own out the door so we do not have a royalty fee being paid to a foreign company.

Plus, having the Toyota system in a car does not make it awesome. Nissan's Altima is pretty much proof of that, although the car wasn't hot $h! to begin with, especially with the puke green colour.

GM should just keep pursuing Voltec, and going for technologies like DI, and HCCI for their gas engines, instead of wasting time with another complicated hybrid system.

Plus, having the Toyota system in a car does not make it awesome. Nissan's Altima is pretty much proof of that, although the car wasn't hot $h! to begin with, especially with the puke green colour.

GM should just keep pursuing Voltec, and going for technologies like DI, and HCCI for their gas engines, instead of wasting time with another complicated hybrid system.

I cannot agree more, plus I really do like their new Hybrid Full Size SUV's. Nice rides, just a bit expensive. in time it will come down though! GM should get credit for at least putting out a real system as no one else really has one for full size vehicles like this. Toyota's highlander Hybrid is not a competitor IMO.

The Two-Mode hybrid from GM was apparently developed to be able to be used in everything from the full sized, RWD, SUVs down to mid-size FWD sedans. The basic premise of the design sounds far less complicated than Toyota's.

I hope they don't do this. God, get it from Ford, if you must. GM has a mild-system, two-mode system and the Voltec why would you want Toyota's anyways. If you must buy someones get it from Ford.

Why dont they just put their R&D money towards light weight, high strength, economical, composite materials?

I'd much rather shell out for that then some hybrid system that won't last as long as i keep my cars.

Why dont they just put their R&D money towards light weight, high strength, economical, composite materials?

I'd much rather shell out for that then some hybrid system that won't last as long as i keep my cars.

Chances are, composite materials like carbon fiber, and plastics don't make people on Capital Hill swoon like the Toyota Prius, and Synergy Drive do.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0