Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

My last odd Impala question...

Anyways I have noticed on 2004/2005 Impala models some have a cloth door insert. I have seen the cloth inserts with cloth seats and without but never with leather. I have looked through my 2001-2005 Impala Brochure collection and found nothing. I have checked GM's media site and found nothing under year to year changes. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyways here is the photograph...

Interior_Question.jpg

Saved money?

My base 2001 didn't have nor did the LS's I looked at back then... And my sisters 2004 base doesn't have it either and yes her's is cloth too. Yeah I am confused any help would be great thanks in advanced. Yes maybe they were trying to save money. We are talking about General Motors after all. If mine doesn't have it and my son finds out you could have it, I am feeling a mod job is coming on. I wonder if just that fabric piece or plastic in my possible case can be removed. I'll check on eBay!

$ vinyl < $ cloth

Only thing I can think of, GM did a lot of random decontenting, things like the glovebox light and passenger side key hole.

Yes well I haven't seen it on any prior to 2004 so its like they added it in 2004 on models with premium cloth maybe and took it away on leather and 2005 models. I am really wondering. I noticed the passenger door had no key hole right away on my SLE when I got it, keep in mind my 2001 Impala didn't have RKE so it came in handy. If I have RKE I don't care but it is a nice feature, but something I don't need.

Edited by gm4life

Anything is possible, this is GM. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the cloth panels were only came in certain years in certain trim levels with certain radios or some other random option on cars assembled on the 1st-8th and 21st-26th of the month.

As for replacing them, that might end up being a huge PITA, you'd have to pop the door panel off and see if that one part can be removed. It might be easier and cheaper to replace the whole door panel than just the insert.

Anything is possible, this is GM. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the cloth panels were only came in certain years in certain trim levels with certain radios or some other random option on cars assembled on the 1st-8th and 21st-26th of the month.

As for replacing them, that might end up being a huge PITA, you'd have to pop the door panel off and see if that one part can be removed. It might be easier and cheaper to replace the whole door panel than just the insert.

Satty I think your right on again. I might need to worry I am agreeing with Satty. Yeah I just found it odd but I realized it is General Motors were talking about.

$ vinyl < $ cloth

Only thing I can think of, GM did a lot of random decontenting, things like the glovebox light and passenger side key hole.

Satty nailed it, random decontenting. Just like I watched progressive decontenting from 1999 to 2002 to 2005 on our 3 Ventures. Keyholes, locks, vinyl door panels replacing cloth, glovebox lock and light, upholstery quality itself etc etc.

Satty nailed it, random decontenting. Just like I watched progressive decontenting from 1999 to 2002 to 2005 on our 3 Ventures. Keyholes, locks, vinyl door panels replacing cloth, glovebox lock and light, upholstery quality itself etc etc.

Well can't say I am suprised. Anyways still doesn't make me any less excited about the car.

Maybe someone did some interior parts swapping. I have 300M leather seats and cloth SE door panels.

Most people don't care as much about there cars or modding them as you DF. People like many of us on C&G are 1 out of 100 maybe rarer. :scratchchin:

It's decontenting, but at least from what you've posted, not sure of the how/why yet.

The same has happened on a lot of other models, as I remember our GMT-800 SUV's over the years...each year they lost more and at the end, they were down to removing the fuzzy carpet kick panel piece on the bottom of the door panels, just leaving it blank. There was a big difference between our '02 Avalanche and our '04 Suburban post the interior electronics changes, but then after that they really took more out.

Something seems very decontenting here...but as it seems some early ones don't but some later ones do, more investigation needed. Hmm.

Well people like us, that care about our cars are pretty hard to come by anymore.

So true, I washed all my vehicles on Monday and detailed them all, an all day job and the neighbor stopped by and said why bother, its just a car to get you from A to B. I told him I liked them to look nice and by taking care of them they lasted longer just like my 1994 GMC Suburban. He just laughed and said that is why you trade them in every 3 to 5 years.

I just smiled and said I would rather spend my hard earned money on other things.

We truly are rare and a dying breed it would seem.

So true, I washed all my vehicles on Monday and detailed them all, an all day job and the neighbor stopped by and said why bother, its just a car to get you from A to B. I told him I liked them to look nice and by taking care of them they lasted longer just like my 1994 GMC Suburban. He just laughed and said that is why you trade them in every 3 to 5 years.

I just smiled and said I would rather spend my hard earned money on other things.

We truly are rare and a dying breed it would seem.

Exactly mine haven't been as clean lately as I'd like but, people look at me when I clean my SLE's tips out back like I am nuts. Unlike most people I just care, and take pride in what I own.

Edited by gm4life

It's decontenting, but at least from what you've posted, not sure of the how/why yet.

The same has happened on a lot of other models, as I remember our GMT-800 SUV's over the years...each year they lost more and at the end, they were down to removing the fuzzy carpet kick panel piece on the bottom of the door panels, just leaving it blank. There was a big difference between our '02 Avalanche and our '04 Suburban post the interior electronics changes, but then after that they really took more out.

Something seems very decontenting here...but as it seems some early ones don't but some later ones do, more investigation needed. Hmm.

Yeah as I recall some GMT-800's had cloth inserts in the door panels right? Later years they were ALL plastic. I am betting it was decontenting...

My Mom and Dads 2002 had the cloth interior and had that insert. My 2008 has nothing though that is a different design.

It's interesting... one TINY and ODD thing I noticed that I didn't mention to anyone because I just thought it was so insignificant, was that I noticed a difference in the Impala's HVAC controls between 2008 and 2009... it's SUCH a tiny difference it's almost like saying, "Why on earth did they do that?!"

Apparently, the only difference I noticed is that the temp dials on the manual dual zone climate control have raised switches in the 2009. I'm going to see if I can find some pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the climate control I cant say since mine doesnt have the duel climate control. Which I dont care that it doesnt have it.

Maybe someone did some interior parts swapping. I have 300M leather seats and cloth SE door panels.

i used to compare my 99 SHO with my brother in law's 96 SHO.

his had carpeted (or whatever) lower interior kick panels on the door, and dampers on the glove box i think and JBL audio. Among other niceties. My door panels were pure cheap crude plastic, no slow moving glovebox, and much cheaper stereo. there was other stuff that got decontented also. I just can't remember all of it right now.

hasn't chevy done this on the impala with the side markers and laminated window glass or something?