Model Kits

I've built models since age 7...still have all mine from childhood, still buy quite a few every year, finish very few now, though.

I have about 1500 unbuilt, 250 built, and 250 restorable used that I've bought from ebay and model shows/swap meets. Mostly 1:25th and 1:24th scales, everything from AMT, MPC, Johan, Revell, Monogram to Italeri, Tamiya, Aoshima, Fujimi kits....my oldest kit is an original AMT '58 Edsel ht.

I'll post some pics tonite of some of mine.

I have no models, not even sure what happened to the ones I did in my childhood. Fun to do if I had the time, but I always seem to be busy with other things.

I *attempted* to build some model kits in the very early '90s when I was a young teenager, but just couldn't do it very well. By the mid-'90s, I found someone in Texas that built model kits for me (still have one of the three I paid to have built). Over the years I have picked up model kits of vehicles that weren't made in diecast, hoping one day to find someone again that can build them for me. The latest purchase, a little over a year ago, was for some resin '55-'57 GMC truck parts to convert an AMT/ERTL '55 or '57 Chevy stepside or Cameo into a similar GMC model. I don't know where to look, though I'd like to find someone local (is there a web site devoted to model car clubs available??).

I have a Subaru WRX that I put together, and painted when I was younger. The Mitsubishi EVO that was supposed to go with it is still in the box in the closet, only half finished. :(

Also, way back when I started high school, some friends of mine were into 'Borehammer 40K,' so I have about a dozen Orcs that are horribly painted and generally unfinished because I realized the game was super lame.

I built most of my models when I was really young starting around 5, and built them up until 12 or so, with the exception of one I bout about 7 years ago. As you can imagine, most of them are in pretty rough shape, with the exception of one of them. I went through a destructive phase where I damaged quite a few of them, which I really regret now. Others got lost, some were found again but ended up being broken.

As far as cars go I only have two, both unfinished and both lost and in many pieces by now. a NASCAR of some kind, and a 80's K5 Blazer.

I also have a couple ship models.

When I was younger I liked cars, but my real passion was planes, mostly WWII era ones. I never painted them with the exception of my first model, which my dad helped me build and paint, and the lats model I built.

I have two 1/48 B-17Gs in boxes that I will build someday. Everything else I built.

I've been trying together up the remnants of my old models and see if there's any I can salvage and "restore".

ive got 40 or so model cars together in my closet in the boxes. currently i am in the process of a 68 nova ss i got a baldwin motion 70 chevelle a 78 z28 and a 70 challenger rt in line. i have mostly GM but i have mopar and a scant few blue ovals.

Nice thing about model cars is they are easy to store when built...planes, not so much. I found most of the parts to my 1/72 B-19 Super Fortress. If I put it back together it won't fit in any box I have.

I've been trying to find out the manufactures of my oldest models.

Here's my very first model...somehow I still have it:

IMG_2934.jpg

It's a B-17 B/C/D Kit. It's currently held together by the hot glue I used to keep the parts together.. The fuselage is actually broken in 3 places. Engines 2 and 3 are from a DC-3 model.

I actually found some more important parts last night, I'm thinking of actually trying to "restore" it.

My second ever model, a B-17G, hasn't fair so well.

IMG_2930.jpg

I regret being so rough with them when I was younger. :(

There is one model that has somehow survived being kicked around all these years, yet another B-17G, slightly bigger than the others. It's managed to stay intact, so I'm in the process of making it look nice. It was built unpainted, then I half-ass painted it silver years ago, and last year when I got interested in tracking my old models down, I started to repair and repaint it.

IMG_2938.jpg

I respect you DF for enjoying your models, but would send these 3 to the recycle heap and get a new kit of the airplane type you would like to have on display.

I respect you DF for enjoying your models, but would send these 3 to the recycle heap and get a new kit of the airplane type you would like to have on display.

Well the third one is in fine shape and just needs the accessories put back on and decals. The other two are purely nostalgic. My plan is to track down the manufacturers and buy "new" versions and build them over.

Although someone suggested using the 2nd one and turning it into a crash diorama.

Well the third one is in fine shape and just needs the accessories put back on and decals. The other two are purely nostalgic. My plan is to track down the manufacturers and buy "new" versions and build them over.

Although someone suggested using the 2nd one and turning it into a crash diorama.

joo mean like dis?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25843576@N02/...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25843576@N02/...57605985236633/

Although someone suggested using the 2nd one and turning it into a crash diorama. :rotflmao:

Very true to your last quote. I do remember using many old busted models for 4th of July blast fun. :P

I used to do quite a few of these... I prefer '60-'90's cars in 1/24~1/25 scale. I was pretty good, and started reading Car Modeller and Scale Auto Enthusiast, so I started flocking interiors and adding spark plug wires... really detailing things out. Using that Real Chrome foil and then I started lighting my cars... making little light boxes and wiring up the bulbs so they would work like a real car. The final thing I seriously worked on had a mini in car stereo (earbuds) and a working domelight when the door opened. When I figured the time and money I had dumped into it, I figured I'd be better off just working on real cars... and so my efforts shifted.

Of course, I hardly have time to do any hobby properly today, but I still buy the kits when I see an interesting one. I bought a small pile of 2004 GTOs when they were being closed out for cheap. I know that the unbuild models tend to go up in value... and with modelling being so diminished in the youth's eye, alot of models will become collectable unbuilt.

It just sucks that the kits are so pricy anymore. I remember when $3 got you a nice kit... to buy a box of plastic the needs assembly for $14 is crazy to me.

It just sucks that the kits are so pricy anymore. I remember when $3 got you a nice kit... to buy a box of plastic the needs assembly for $14 is crazy to me.

hmm your pricing is behind the curve. hobby lobby is routinely 14.99-22.99 for cars depending on the model's producer and line. the revell limited editions are 17 and up.

That's nothing. The aircraft kits easily go over $20 for the larger 1/72 models. I;m sure you could easily find a three figure model.

Not to mention the Japanese car kits, which are anywhere from $25-50 in the US or more. Though I buy mine from a dealer in Japan, so even w/ the shipping, I save $10-15 on a typical kit--like the recent Tamiya Nissan GT-R (R35).

I may have to pick that SRT8 up then!

It's very nice..I've bought a 1/2 dozen of them, plan to use the 6.1 Hemi in ProTouring style builds of vintage Mopars. They have an '09 Challenger SRT8 kit coming this summer.

And as far as GM kits go, in the last 6 months or so, Revell has issued a nice '57 Chevy 150 2dr sedan w/ a 'Black Widow' NASCAR version, a '69 Nova SS350, a '69 Yenko Nova, and coming this fall/winter are a '66 Chevy Impala SS and a '72 Olds Cutlass Hurst/Olds convertible, really looking forward to those.

hmm your pricing is behind the curve. hobby lobby is routinely 14.99-22.99 for cars depending on the model's producer and line. the revell limited editions are 17 and up.

Oh, of course... I'm just quoting the prices for the low-level Walmart/Kmart/Toys-R-Us/AC Moore 1/24~1/25 plastic plain common models. Going online, limited edition, metal, vintage or resin kits are through the roof...

I'm looking at the cheap kits as the entry level for kit bashing starters. Kit bashing three kits and you're looking at a $50 minimum, before you've even bought paint, glue, abrasives, add-ons.

Modeling used to be a great creative outlet for kids. Now its cheaper to buy a new PS3 game and destroy stuff. Sets us up for a dire future... [cue up Idiocracy trailer].

I built most of my models when I was really young starting around 5, and built them up until 12 or so, with the exception of one I bout about 7 years ago. As you can imagine, most of them are in pretty rough shape, with the exception of one of them. I went through a destructive phase where I damaged quite a few of them, which I really regret now. Others got lost, some were found again but ended up being broken.

I regret the same thing. I built quite a few only to later mess them up by taking parts or engines from sevral models to make somthing "custom". :huh: I have 3-4 left still built and a couple unbuilt I've bought in recent years but never got around to building.

When I was a kid I lived only a couple hrs. away from the Ertl company in Dyersville, IA. which you could go on a tour of. I had the chance to see the AMT & MPC kits being molded, plated, etc. which was very cool. Sadly the model kits and also the famous diecast toy tractors once made there as well only come from China and Mexico these days.

Edited by fightingbee