NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: AP says General Motors to announce 14 plant closures on Monday

8 posts in this topic

Filed under: Trends, Plants/Manufacturing, GM, Earnings/Financials

gm-symbol-fence-getty-250.jpgAccording to a source at The Associated Press, General Motors will announce the closure of 14 factories on Monday morning. The shutterings will reportedly occur by the end of 2010, and are being viewed as part of GM's widely anticipated plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The move would not be completely unexpected, as GM had previously announced that it expects to have to close 16 plans by the end of next year, resulting in some 21,000 pink slipped workers. As GM has already announced that an engine plant in Massena, New York and a stamping plant in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area will be shutting down, this would bring the full tally to 16.

According to the AP report, factory-level union leaders are unaware of which plants will be axed, but the plan is said to include four assembly facilities, along with stamping, engine, and transmission operations.

[source: Associated Press (via Chron) | Image: Dan Kitwood/Getty]

AP says General Motors to announce 14 plant closures on Monday originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 28 May 2009 10:55:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=gSgzx-i54PU:FF3a8z00ArQ:wF9xT autoblog?i=gSgzx-i54PU:FF3a8z00ArQ:V_sGL
gSgzx-i54PU

View the full article

I hope this does not effect their Duramax Engine production and the 6 speed allison tranny. That is one of their bright gold stars.

I'll betcha the Solstice/Sky plant indelawarw will close...

Chris

I'll betcha the Solstice/Sky plant indelawarw will close...

Chris

It is DELAWARE and no one is throwing in the towel just yet.

I wish that they'd keep building the Targa a while longer, there should be more of them in the world.

I agree. DELAWARE (sorry about the mis-spell) really ought to keep this plant.

Targa IMHO is the best looking Pontiac in years...and my apologies to the G8 and Firebird fans here.

Chris

...and if you haven't seen the Targa in the flesh, go look at one. Awesome!

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor