Buy, sell, keep or trade?

Plans, plans...you know they change.

So what are your plans with your current fleet? Any of the above? We all know what new cars we want, but not so much of the ones we have.....

Mine-

2003(sedan) & 2004(coupe) Cavaliers....Both keepers. I'm running them both into the ground. They aren't worth much to sell anyways.......the 03 will become my beater when the wife gets a newer car, and the 04 becomes my (back to) school ride and track car.

2006 Cobalt-my current beater, looks like a keeper for now. The communting car, I'll decide after it's paid off (little over a year left). If I get a Cruze, it could make a good winter beater to keep that Cruze clean.

If gas prices jump again, I'm ready. This also allows me to get a truck if I want for the family......

All of mine are keepers. The Impala is the winter beater of sorts and long distance car. The other 2 are summer only vehicles meant to both enjoy and keep miles off the Impala. The Lawn tractors are good neighborhood runarounds when I am not cutting grass.

Here is my fleet and so far I am keeping them all and looking to add a 2 door Yukon once I find one that is clean, smoke free and meets my standards.

2006 Hummer H2

2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

2005 CTS

2004 SRX

1999 Durango, daughter drives this.

1998 Dakota, Son drives this.

1994 GMC Suburban SLT edition. My tow monster as it currently has a Custom built 402, but planning on converting it over to Diesel.

Well, the wife has a 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 sedan that is her daily driver and sees some weekend family duty (she puts on quite a bit of miles just driving to work each week, so it gets a break on the weekends). Since we bought this 11 months ago today and financed it for 6 years, it's going no where for a long time (well, God-willingly!).

I drive a 2007 Saturn AURA XE that is a GMAC SmartLease vehicle and is due back to them on November 17. I was originally hoping to get a GMC Sierra as it's replacement (this was two years ago), but the fluctuating and wallet-crushing gas prices killed that. I was then going to get a Pontiac G8 GT sedan, but with my upcoming lay-off and no potential teaching positions available now, plus fluctuating gas prices on the horizon, that plan is being shelved. Realistically a small car that's equipped with a 4-cylinder engine is what's affordable to me right now, but outside of the HHR (which I'm still not 100% happy with) I'm not a small-car kind of guy. While the wife really likes the Pontiac Vibe GT, I can't bring myself to buy that and have it in my garage (a personal choice). So at this point I don't know what will replace the AURA come November (or earlier, if a decent pull-ahead program is offered to me). I am thinking of going used though if I hold out until November... this way I can save up some money for a down-payment and get something I like in 2010 or 2011.

Buying a 2005 Chevrolet Impala LS in Sandstone Metallic 60K on her (so my daughter gets the 2001)

2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan (Base) in Sand Drift Beige Metallic 86K on her and is staying for a while...

2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE in Cranberry Red Metallic 29K on her and will be with me or my son forever... (No question)

2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD in Purple Haze Metallic 14K on her and is staying for a LONG TIME yet...

Down the Road my son or I will be getting a 5th generation Camaro SS...

After that who knows, I might be getting Fords if GM is still government run, I hope not.

'00 Grand Cherokee--almost 100k miles. Daily driver currently, want to replace w/ something new in the next couple years. But keep the Jeep for winter use.

'87 Mustang GT and '69 Mustang are once-in-a while fun cars. I'm currently 2000 miles from them, but plan to fix that within the next year. Also want to get a new fun car within the next couple years.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

DF, you may need a bigger yard/garage if you don't already have one.

We may be trading the wife's car in a couple of years, depending on how it acts.

No movement with the Bonnie yet, as I'm still paying on it. But after all that's done, depending on where we are financially...

I'd like to add a pickup once we got a house, but that's still up for discussion.

MINI-Keep until its paid off, if not longer

Buick-Keep, restore

Prius-Keep until the warranty runs out, probably another 2 years. I've completely forgotten how long the extended warranty on it is. Undecided on the trade-in, depends on circumstances at the time, I'd like a Mustang convertible, but we'll see.

I am thinking about another Colorado if I can afford it when it comes time.

If GM (or anyone else for that matter) would pull their head out of their ass and come up with a real compact pickup, I'd be thrilled.

Ford Ranger. The only true compact pickup left on the market.

One of those ridiculous little Chevy Montanas with AWD, an Ecotec and a manual transmission could be cool.

The 2010 Colorado has what appears to be a cool new grayish-green color coming online. I am also not happy that Aqua Blue is no longer available on the GMT355 in 2010.

It seems after owning 5 S-10s and 1 Colorado, all of them new, GM compact pickup trucks are ingrained in my psyche. They just fit me.

Edited by ocnblu

Those things are like a time machine, they take me back to the days of the Spice Girls.

Yummy :P I like Spice Girls! :P

Course a Colorado or Ute or Ranger in an AWD package would be sweet. Maybe once GM gets over this mess, we could see another modern quality Syclone! :metal:

Satty: bulletproof little spunkwagens, they are. Unless you get bitten by the bug like me much too often, a Ranger, I honestly believe, is a 20-year truck. Unless you live in Brookville and there's a sign post anywhere around. Edited by ocnblu

Rangers do seem like the type that will run forever, but the truck available now is pretty crude. Great if you just need a cheap truck to do truck things, but those buyers are a dying breed. I bet that if Ford were to take the improvements made to the F-Series and scale them down to make the Ranger a quieter, more comfortable truck without making it huge, they'd see a bump in sales.

Rangers do seem like the type that will run forever, but the truck available now is pretty crude. Great if you just need a cheap truck to do truck things, but those buyers are a dying breed. I bet that if Ford were to take the improvements made to the F-Series and scale them down to make the Ranger a quieter, more comfortable truck without making it huge, they'd see a bump in sales.

I seem to recall something like that being in their gameplan.

See, since I for the foreseeable future will be a one-vehicle guy, I prefer the nicer GMT355. The Ranger is now for someone who needs a truck as a second or third vehicle, and it fits nicely there.

I never got why they didn't just take the Sport Trac, and expand it with various bed and cab configurations. The 2nd gen is a nice truck, although I don't see many of them.

I've always had a thing for the last gen Dakotas in extended or crew cab 4x4 configuration.

I always liked the regular cab 4X4 Daks with the 31" tire option. Very butch. I am still mad Dodge dropped the regular cab Dak... I mean they still sell the reg cab Ram... what's the problem?

A better thought than a FWD LH. Do it, when it's time.

Not really better per say, the LH has sleek, elegant styling and a nicer interior. I can try to own both a 300M and a Charger (in addition to what we've already got. :P

Since Jessica loves the Charger and the 300M, I'm sure I could persuade her for both in due time. :P

I always liked the regular cab 4X4 Daks with the 31" tire option. Very butch. I am still mad Dodge dropped the regular cab Dak... I mean they still sell the reg cab Ram... what's the problem?

The claimed low demand is what killed the regular cab. I'm more of an extended/crew cab person myself. I prefer the look (and the added usability).

Although I will say I like the older (early 80's and older) Chevy pickups as regular cab/long beds.

1) 2007 Chevy Impala LS (Dark Silver)- Keep. I will be transferring this car into solely my ownership this spring. I plan to drive this one indefinitely (read not into the ground).

2) 2008 Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan (Slate)- We'll be keeping it, transferring it to my brother this spring.

3) 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT (Sport Red)- We'll probably keep it for 3 more years until the extended warranty expires

Next Up

4) 2009 Chevy Impala LT- My dad will be picking up a leftover one in the spring when my brother starts driving and I permanently take over his current Impala. We're thinking of going with the LT this time but will settle for the LS if we have to. In absence of an Impy LT or a properly equipped LS like the one I've got now he will get a 2009 Lucerne CX as he doesn't seem very receptive of the ancient stereo and look of the LaCrosse.

In the Future...

5) Five years from now GICs I recently rolled in mature. The intentions of my investment is to buy a nicer car when my insurance goes down. What I'd really like is a 2009-10 Cadillac DTS in either Black, Black Cherry or Navy with the Bench seat and gray or cream leather. I will probably end up traveling to the Sun Belt (Nevada/Az/Nm) to find what I want in the rust free state I'm interested in.

That's about all there is for me when it comes to the near-distant future.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

A better thought than a FWD LH. Do it, when it's time.

A good choice. As much as I rip on the truck, it still does many things well.....

I miss my s-10, and I still would like a small truck..

I never got why they didn't just take the Sport Trac, and expand it with various bed and cab configurations. The 2nd gen is a nice truck, although I don't see many of them.

I've always had a thing for the last gen Dakotas in extended or crew cab 4x4 configuration.

I almost pulled gthe trigger to buy one from Whiteside Dodge a few years ago. The truck was red, 4wd...NICE product.

Would have pulled a formula Ford on a trailer quite nicely, I think.

But that was before the economy went dead.

Chris

In the Future...

5) Five years from now GICs I recently rolled in mature. The intentions of my investment is to buy a nicer car when my insurance goes down. What I'd really like is a 2009-10 Cadillac DTS in either Black, Black Cherry or Navy with the Bench seat and gray or cream leather. I will probably end up traveling to the Sun Belt (Nevada/Az/Nm) to find what I want in the rust free state I'm interested in.

That's about all there is for me when it comes to the near-distant future.

The car is just absolutely the cat's ass in the Black Cherry.

I like what your thinking, Von.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

None of my currents are for sale or for trade...they are all keepers:

1972 Monte Carlo

1976 Monte Carlo Landau

1979 Monte Carlo Landau

1981 Monte Carlo SC

1987 Monte Carlo LS/CL

As for buying ... one of the following, if I can find the right combo at the right price:

'77-'79 Caprice Classic

'86-'88 Monte Carlo LS

'08/'09 Dodge Charger

'06/'07 Lumina LT or LTZ coupe

Further buying ... someday down the line, I'd like to have:

1975 Caprice Classic convertible

1987 Monte Carlo SS or MC SS Aerocoupe

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"There's a freeway runnin' through the yard" ... Tom Petty ... 'Free Fallin''