Getting close to purchasing a newer car

Well, as most of your know (or maybe don't know), I've been driving around in Chevy Luminas since I was a youngin' with a learner's permit. My first car was a '90 Euro, and my current is a '94 Euro, both 4-door sedans with the 3100. I've had the '94 now for 5 years and have racked on 70,000 additional miles (bought it with 80,000 originally). I've been saving up and am finally going to replace the old jalopy, although it will still be kept in the family as a beater car back home. It has an AC leak that will cost more than the car with worth to repair, and the rust and hail damage are major chick repellents.

At the Ford dealer back home, there is a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 Sport for sale that I first checked out last weekend and have been in contact with the salesman whose brother originally owned the car. His brother was the sole owner and babied the car. It had most of the common LS problems repaired under warranty (headlight condensation, rear window motor replacement, etc) and was mostly trouble-free for the last few years of ownership. 78,000 miles on the odometer. The color is sort of a silver / light bronze and it has chrome 5-spoke Lincoln wheels. Exterior has a few tiny scratches and rock chips, but they're barely noticeable unless you get in close. The interior is clean and in excellent shape, and is a lighter off-white color combination that looks much nicer than the dark gray ones. It has a 6-disc CD changer in the glove compartment, and I think it has heated leather seats.

Anyway, he'll be driving through the Cedar Rapids area this weekend and is going to stop by with the car and let me take it for a test drive. He wants $8700 but I'm going to try to bargain down to $8000, paid full in cash. On KBB it goes for $8870, so we'll see if I can get him to negotiate down.

Here are some pictures from last weekend.

p1040280u.jpg

p1040281b.jpg

p1040290b.jpg

Ahh Keast I know where that is... Neat car, and they drive very nicely and that little 3.9L V8 even better, it will be quick that is for sure. For 8,000 that is a VERY good deal. Go for it, it is V8 and RWD many around here including me approve.

Edited by gm4life

The styling on those is really quite singular. We have quite a few customers who still run those. The one thing I've seen in my department though is the front bumpers get broken up often because they hang so low... ppl hit parking curbs. That one looks nice, I hope you can get it.

The LS is a fine car if cared for. Timeless exterior and elegant interior. From what I remember the interior's only real shortcoming was extreme lack of storage. The center console was tiny and the lid felt like it was going to break off. Overall nice cars though.

• 2 weeks later...

To update, this weekend I spent a few hours with the salesman test driving and talking over the car, with my dad along to help in the kicking tires process. This was my first time car shopping so I was on my guard but never felt like I was being pressured to buy right away. My dad and I did a pretty thorough inspection and asked him a ton of questions about the car's history (the salesman's brother was the previous and only owner...he recently traded in the LS and an '04 Thunderbird for an '09 Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKX).

The brother is an accountant and changed all fluids at regular intervals and kept it to a strict maintenance schedule. We feel pretty confident that it won't see many of the problems that most LS's with this kind of mileage start to run into. Tranny fluid was changed every 30K miles and the transmission felt fine in the test drive. The dealer hadn't done any prep work on the car since the trade and yet it is still very clean inside and out. I thought there was rust forming on the wheels, but I took my finger and wiped to find that it was just brake dust and dirt. All interior components seemed to work fine. There's actually some pretty neat features like memory seating and wheel tilt positions, some type of manumatic transmission, and a valet button that apparently keeps the trunk locked in case you happen to have a couple briefcases of unmarked bills stashed back there.

It drove like a new car...hard to tell there are almost 80,000 miles on it. No rattles or squeaks whatsoever. The engine is very strong and the LS V8 is a quick car. I took it on one of the worst county roads and you could hardly feel the bumps. Cornering is great with minimal body roll, and weight is distributed 50/50 so it feels very solid and composed on the road. I can see why people love this car so much...it definitely lives up to the "American BMW" moniker.

There was lots of headroom inside. I'm tall (6'4") and thought this car might be a bit of a squeeze, but putting the seat back there was more than enough room for my legs and even a decent amount behind for the rear passenger. The only thing that was kind of weird for me was how the dash wrapped down; in my Lumina, you can see your feet and the pedals much easier, but here it was kind of like I was sticking them into a hole and will take some getting used to. Also, the rear seats are called "opera seating" or something because the rear passengers sit up a few inches higher than the front. The rear seats also fold down and there is a decent amount of trunk space, so I should be able to haul some bigger items.

Anyway, we had a limited amount of time so I am heading back there next weekend to discuss final price and financing. I have the cash to pay for it, but I'm thinking about taking out a small loan ($2000) so that I still have a decent amount saved up for a rainy day. The crappy thing is that many banks I have looked at either want a minimum loan of $5000, or they limit the cars eligible to newer than 7 years (this one is 8 1/2). I'm thinking I will have better luck talking with my local bank at home.

financing is usually a stickler with older cars.

but, this one is a really nice one, and a really nice LS.

i have looked at some LS in the last few years and I can tell just from the pictures that this one seems more well kept than most.

its a nice color combo also. the LS is a unique car.

I've never test driven the v8, but i have test driven the v6 manual a few times. does this have the sport suspension or standard suspension?

financing is usually a stickler with older cars.

but, this one is a really nice one, and a really nice LS.

i have looked at some LS in the last few years and I can tell just from the pictures that this one seems more well kept than most.

its a nice color combo also. the LS is a unique car.

I've never test driven the v8, but i have test driven the v6 manual a few times. does this have the sport suspension or standard suspension?

I'm assuming sport suspension since I believe it's the sport model, although I don't really know for sure.

The LS is a fun car to drive and be in. good for road trips too. The only con i can say about it is that it is absolutely the worst car to drive in snow!! worse than my 4th gen Camaro. Guy i worked with had one and he would let us drive it.

I'm assuming sport suspension since I believe it's the sport model, although I don't really know for sure.

Not a Sports package car, clearly. Has the standard wheels in polished form and the extra chrome trim, so, no. But otherwise looks like a decently equipped non-Sport V8. Very nice cars, other than the typical issues that are known, and a terrific platform/suspension/drivetrain.

I work at a Linc-Merc dealership, and I can't tell you everything that comprises the Sport package on these cars. I do believe a partial body-color grille, bumper moldings, and a different front bumper and foglights are part of it, though. Good luck to you, I hope it works out.

The LS is a fun car to drive and be in. good for road trips too. The only con i can say about it is that it is absolutely the worst car to drive in snow!! worse than my 4th gen Camaro. Guy i worked with had one and he would let us drive it.

Yeah I see these things sliding around all over the snow. Of course if they had snow tires on them they'd probably be fine.

in the infamous recent thread where i explained about the car that got stuck on the street by my daughter's school on the snow day this past winter......the car in question was an LS. Level flat street with a little fresh snow. Couldn't move. Had to be pushed.

I've had snows on my Tbird before and it helped a lot, but the car has got to have something tangible for it going for me if i ever get another rear driver.

For a Camaro, or Magnum, i would consider it. My neighbor who does actual promo and is on Dodge's payroll even told me not to get a RWD Magnum, even with the ESP. This is from a guy who loves RWD performance rides. He said the LX cars are skates, and the staibility control doesn't do much for it with stock tires. He said to make it drivable you basically need to get snows and even then its not ideal.

I seem to recall though, the v6 LS s had great weight distribution. It was like 51/49 or 52/48 I think.

I would think depending on how much ICE you get, if you buy snows, and throw 100 pounds in the trunk, and had a light driver, that the LS would prob be fine for a lot of winter driving around town and the metro area as long as there are not a lot of killer inclines.

The LS is a nice vehicle and I think it prob falls into the category of worth dealing with weather issues if the car is well taken care of and is a good buy.

Edited by regfootball

I would think depending on how much ICE you get, if you buy snows, and throw 100 pounds in the trunk, and had a light driver, that the LS would prob be fine for a lot of winter driving around town and the metro area as long as there are not a lot of killer inclines.

The last owner left a sandbag in the trunk. I'm planning on putting some snow tires on it later in the year since the ones on now have about 2/3 tread left and are just Continental street tires (the previous owner lives in southern Missouri where they don't get much snow).

------

I bought the LS today for $8300. The dealer was originally wanting $8700, then $8500, then $8400. I refused to budge and mentioned that I was looking at other LS's, so he goes to the manager and I could hear them talking in the background (this was all being done via phone since I live 3 1/2 hours away) and finally we agree on $8300. It's $100 more than I wanted to pay, but since Edmunds dealer retail listed at $8355 and this is slightly cheaper than most LS's I have looked at with similar mileage (plus this car was kept in great shape), I agreed on the price. So tomorrow night I will be driving back to sign papers on Saturday, then driving away in my new (to me) LS.

This day has been such a long time coming. For years now I have been wanting a better car, ever since my first Lumina got hit by the semi. Somehow my parents always talked sense into me though, saying that it'd be better to put my money toward paying off college loans (which are now over half paid off) instead of having a car payment and higher insurance. My current Lumina has so much rust, hail damage, and faded paint that's it's a little embarrassing to be driving around in these days, even though I love it to death and it's going to be a little strange parting ways with.

(the previous owner lives in southern Missouri where they don't get much snow).

Lie, although we do get more ice than snow.

Congrats on the car, the LS seems like a cool ride, just wish Ford had given the V8 some balls.

I'll be putting up some better pics soon as I get the chance to take them (won't be for a while since this is going to be an 80+ hour week and next week will likely be over 60), but here are few I took last weekend.

4804_658971763310_16904062_40037211_6633

4804_658974148530_16904062_40037387_7843

4804_658974133560_16904062_40037384_5233

4804_658974143540_16904062_40037386_2097

4804_658974138550_16904062_40037385_6382

4804_658974123580_16904062_40037382_7410

ls002.jpg

Man, is this car a blast to drive. I haven't driven too many luxury cars in my life, but everything about the way it handles just feels right. The engine has a muted growl, which is nice to hear even with the cabin being like a bank vault. I floored it up the onramp tonight and it had no problems getting up to speed in a few short seconds. After you've driven 140 hp FWD cars all your life, the switch to RWD V8 is like night and day. I'm actually coming up with excuses to make trips just so I can drive it more. :) Also, when you brake or accelerate hard there is no nose diving at all...the Lumina dipped and wobbled about and it's just so much fun to drive something solid and composed. Even though DEW98 was an expensive platform, Lincoln should have figured out a way to make it work because this car is so much fun to drive!

One other thing that has never happened to me before...people are checking out my car. I've always thought the LS was a little bit conservatively styled, but among the average car it does stand out.