Sign in to follow this  
CSpec

GM Crash Test Video from 1968

30 posts in this topic

Oldsmoboi: You may have nailed it.

Balthazar: Yup, I was thinking of the 426. It always amazed me how Chrysler products could be so big without a real frame under them - especially with a torque monster under the hood.

Random point of interest:

1958 DeSoto Adventurer frame : 318 lbs

1958 Chrysler 300-D frame : 474 lbs

I doubt there's even 175 lbs of 'structural' channel in a '60 Unibody.

Not sure I can tell you what my Buick's frame weighs. The guy who did a little chassis work cut the 'K' section out, and that alone weighs 70 lbs and it's no more than 3.5' x 3.5'. I flipped the remains by myself by tipping it over on the floor, and that was a struggle for even me. It's fully boxed FRT to RR, I couldn't guess. Shoulda balanced it on a bathroom scale....

Drew, that could explain everything. All of us dummies should have figured that out, it's likely a dummy development video. Edited by ocnblu

Well, when you go on the "GM Test Track" ride at Epcot in Walt Disney World, the que line basically tells you about the development of the test dummies by General Motors, even showing you the range of dummies available (children, women & men of various sizes and weight classifications, including pregnant women).

W.O.W.

Now, while I'm not comparing the whole mass-equal-safer argument, it's funny how we relate size with death traps when back then, as it would appear, anything less than a dump truck would be a death trap.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this