my fat ass

Come to think of it, Papa did charge me $1.85 "delivery fee". I still would have given the kid a 20, so without the questionable fee, he would have gotten a larger tip.

I agree with Croc on the tipping thing. It is up to the customer to decide how much, if any, to tip. I try to always tip based on service, but if the quality of the food is horrible, that might influence me, too. And most servers are not good actors. You can tell if they don't want to be there, for example.

I can certainly cook well enough for myself not to starve. If I choose to go out or order in, I expect good, drama-free service as part of the experience.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread. *checking online to see if Papa John has breakfast pizza*:AH-HA_wink:

I always tip at least 20% if the service is as expected. I've been known to tip 30% when the service has been surprisingly good as in the case of this particular Domino's. It's not unusual to have the pizza at my door in 15 minutes with this particular store.

I always tip at least 20% if the service is as expected. I've been known to tip 30% when the service has been surprisingly good as in the case of this particular Domino's. It's not unusual to have the pizza at my door in 15 minutes with this particular store.

I do 0-5% if its awful, 10% if its poor, 15% for expected, and 20% for excellent.

If i order something that does not cost very much i generally tip upwards of 50-100% to make it worth the waiter/waitresses time.

Croc, my bad, it's tough to understand the context of text sometimes.

Ocn, that delivery charge, the delivery person may not even get. I know the place I worked at they sometimes gave a delivery charge for longer distance deliveries but I never benefited from it. <_<

To clarify- I do not have home delivery because I don't want to tip for delivery.

Eating out w/ table service (maybe once every 3 weeks), I generally tip around 18%.

If it's pretty bad service (a rarity) it might be about 8%.

Pretty sure I've never tipped 0, but I can't say I've had 'terrible' service ever.

Then again, I don't evaluate the grooming or attire WRT food service; to me that's immaterial; it's not 'service'.

I usually tip 15% for delivery or waiting service if it's expected, 10% if it's not great, and 20% if it's exceptional. I've only ever not tipped once because the waiter was terrible and rude.

Another problem I discovered the hard way in delivery, is that people will just give you a couple bucks and think that's a "good" tip, whether it's $8 (which is and very good) or $58 which is not good.

Then again, I don't evaluate the grooming or attire WRT food service; to me that's immaterial; it's not 'service'.

Have you ever had someone waiting on you covered in dog/cat hair? I have. Gross. I don't really care about attire as long isn't a shirt that says "f@#k you for making me deliver this pizza," which I've never seen. And of course, grooming communicates something about people...and if you are working for tips, you should try to maximize your first impression, which would seem to preclude having facial hair that looks like pubes. If you're delivering/serving my food, please don't look gross, especially if you want a tip.

Another problem I discovered the hard way in delivery, is that people will just give you a couple bucks and think that's a "good" tip, whether it's $8 (which is and very good) or $58 which is not good.

Well that's just it, too. Some markets, like Los Angeles, are pretty expensive. By that I mean food just costs more. What might be a 15% tip for you could be the same dollar amount as a 10% tip here. Of course, in CA, tips are in addition to your minimum wage, not a part of it. So I'm much less inclined to tip more than 10% for service that isn't exceptional, since I know the employee is making at least minimum wage. Back in Indiana, this isn't the case, so I usually tip a little higher percentage...of course food is a lot cheaper there so I end up spending comparable amounts of money overall.

AFAIC, that's between the delivery person and the restaurant. If I'm being charged an extra $3 just for them to set it on a different counter than the other carry-out food, and the driver isn't getting it, that isn't my problem. AFAIC, I already paid the delivery charge, because that's what it says on the receipt. If the driver is good, I may or may not throw a couple bucks his way...all depends on the quality of service, the mood I'm in, and how much money I'm blowing on that meal in the first place.
Edited by Croc

Have you ever had someone waiting on you covered in dog/cat hair? I have. Gross. I don't really care about attire as long isn't a shirt that says "f@#k you for making me deliver this pizza," which I've never seen. And of course, grooming communicates something about people...and if you are working for tips, you should try to maximize your first impression, which would seem to preclude having facial hair that looks like pubes. If you're delivering/serving my food, please don't look gross, especially if you want a tip.

Well that's just it, too. Some markets, like Los Angeles, are pretty expensive. By that I mean food just costs more. What might be a 15% tip for you could be the same dollar amount as a 10% tip here. Of course, in CA, tips are in addition to your minimum wage, not a part of it. So I'm much less inclined to tip more than 10% for service that isn't exceptional, since I know the employee is making at least minimum wage. Back in Indiana, this isn't the case, so I usually tip a little higher percentage...of course food is a lot cheaper there so I end up spending comparable amounts of money overall.

Perhaps with your delicate stomach, you should not eat out ... :smilewide:

Didja ever see that movie "Waiting"?

*Croc passes out*:lol:

Oh yes, yes I have. I worked in a restaurant once, and could instantly relate to Naomi, as she was the composite character best representing everyone who worked at our restaurant.

I love that movie.