Satty

C&D Comparison

22 posts in this topic

Linkypoo

3rd Place

Dodge Challenger R/T

Highs: Classic bod, smooth controls, big inside, snick-snick six-speed.

Lows: Corners on custard, too heavy, drab cabin, tires off the church bus.

The Verdict: The most authentic ’60s re-spin of them all.

2nd Place

Chevrolet Camaro SS

Highs: Fastest through the trap, grip and zip in the gymkhana, fresh and inventive interior.

Lows: Looks angry, tiny trunk, hard seats, nose-deep-in-a-hole feeling.

The Verdict: A neo-Corvette underneath the Deathmobile from Animal House.

1st Place

Ford Mustang GT

Highs: Lighter and tighter in every way, good visibility, fab 1-2-3 turn signals, the king of V-8 roars.

Lows: Only a five-speed, capless fuel filler frequently spills, smallest fuel tank.

The Verdict: Yeah, we’re shocked, too, but this Mustang rocks.

O teh bias!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss

How is looking angry a low?

+1.

What, are pony/muscle cars supposed to smile? :confused0071:

I'd bet a lot of money that if you polled 100 people on which of the exhaust notes sound best, the Mustang would not be coming out on top, unless Ford made some drastic changes to the Mustang's exhaust note and Chevy really screwed up how a typical LSX engine sounds.

Also, how the Mustang is more "gotta-have" than the Camaro is rather amazing. Not that the scoring was close enough to matter, but the Mustang is basically a freshened 2005-2009, while the Camaro is brand new. Something doesn't add up to the Mustang being more gotta-have, IMO.

Final thoughts: for $35-40k, I'm not sure I buy any of these cars. For an extra $5k I can go and buy a much better car. Sure, they look cool and are fast, but they get $h!ty gas mileage, have $h!ty interiors, and are still either a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. For $40-45k I can pick up a slightly used Porsche Cayman S, which is just as fast, has handling that's in a totally different league, and is a Porsche, not a Chevy/Ford/Dodge.

+1.

What, are pony/muscle cars supposed to smile? :confused0071:

Smile like Paul Sr. of OCC, perhaps.

Final thoughts: for $35-40k, I'm not sure I buy any of these cars. For an extra $5k I can go and buy a much better car. Sure, they look cool and are fast, but they get $h!ty gas mileage, have $h!ty interiors, and are still either a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. For $40-45k I can pick up a slightly used Porsche Cayman S, which is just as fast, has handling that's in a totally different league, and is a Porsche, not a Chevy/Ford/Dodge.

Why are you still an administrator here, or even come here at all, if you hold our American companies in such contempt?

stock dohc mustang engines sound better than stock small blocks, but change the cams in both engines, and the small block chevy will be one of the most beautiful things you've ever heard.

Why are you still an administrator here, or even come here at all, if you hold our American companies in such contempt?

Why are you always looking for fights to pick with Northstar? Sorry, but I see him telling it as it is. I don't "get" pony cars, nor would I consider any of these retro machines--I'd get the G8 over any of these for just a few grand more, and frankly a slightly used Porsche would have better road manners than the Camaro. Plus last time I checked he was quite happy with his GTO--which, is as American as the Camaro is.

Whoops, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid anymore, I must leave the site forever now...??? wtf

I'd be leaning towards the Camaro or Mustang because I can actually fit in them, and get in and out reasonably well, as opposed to the Boxster and Cayman.

Either way, it's great to see the Mustang and Camaro going toe to toe; people have been waiting quite a while for this, and we should enjoy it while it lasts.

Actually, as a guy who hauls kids around...I was really impressed with the size of the Camaro trunk.

Depends on what you want...I wouldn't look down on anyones reasonable, rational vehicle choice. If you wanted a Cayman or a G8 instead...fine.

Personally, I'll take a Camaro in the metallic Orange or the heritage B5 blue Challenger.

Chris

I think it goes like thus: The Challenger is the the cruiser, the Mustang is the most sport oriented, and the Camaro is in the middle. So depending on who reviews them, the Camaro or Mustang would and do come out in first.

I think the Challenger is the most elegant of the 3, the Camaro the most spot on as a modern car.

Just wish they offered the other "heritage" Chryco colors. Make mine Top Bannana or Go-Mango, please.

Chris

I think the Challenger is the most elegant of the 3, the Camaro the most spot on as a modern car.

Just wish they offered the other "heritage" Chryco colors. Make mine Top Bannana or Go-Mango, please.

Chris

I'm sure they will have heritage editions/colors soon enough.

I've seen a few of the Heritage color Chargers lately...NICE.

Chris

all 3 cars are nice to have around. with the govt and unions taking over, we're lucky to have them at all

Wow. You know VERY little don't you. :confused0071:

Wow. You know VERY little don't you. :confused0071:

Apparently

all 3 cars are nice to have around. with the govt and unions taking over, we're lucky to have them at all

So you think that because something is going to be owned by the employees and the people, that everything they do after that is going to be horrible.

Last time I checked, if it wasn't for the government, who knows where phone, TV, internet, air travel, and many other things would be without the lack of money poured into these things by the government.

Also, with employee's retirements and heath benifits being directly related to the success of the company, I think they have additional incentive to ensure success.

P.S. also, thank god the government is able to protect hard working people that lose their jobs and provide them with unemployement benifits and welfare to get them through the rough times in their lifes.

Edited by JamesBond

I was just expressing my viewpoint... personally, I would never pay my own hard-earned money for any of these cars.

Porsche or Ford? Not a hard choice for me, especially if the Porsche is only $5k more (though 1-2 years old with ~10k miles on it).

The thing is, the Camaro and Mustang (and maybe Challenger, I haven't been in the back seat of one) are really 2 seat cars anyways. My GTO is a PITA to get in the back seat, but once you're there, there's plenty of room and it's plenty comfortable. The Mustang and Camaro both fail in terms of back seat space and comfort... so, even though a Cayman is only 2 seats, well, I wouldn't want to force anyone to sit in the back of the Camaro or Mustang... so they're essentially 2 seats anyways.

Would it make you feel any better if I said I would also rather have a slightly used Corvette instead of any of these 3? Again, it's only two seats, but I don't care. There's a 2008 Corvette on eBay right now with 1500 miles on it for $35k. I assume it doesn't have many options, but it's faster and handles better than the Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger, and costs the same.

Perhaps I should appreciate pony cars for what they are, and I will say GM did a great job on the Camaro. Like I said, I was just stating my opinion.

Northie, you really don't owe anyone an explanation. The vast majority of people on this site weren't even asking for one, anyway.

So you think that because something is going to be owned by the employees and the people, that everything they do after that is going to be horrible.

Last time I checked, if it wasn't for the government, who knows where phone, TV, internet, air travel, and many other things would be without the lack of money poured into these things by the government.

Also, with employee's retirements and heath benifits being directly related to the success of the company, I think they have additional incentive to ensure success.

P.S. also, thank god the government is able to protect hard working people that lose their jobs and provide them with unemployement benifits and welfare to get them through the rough times in their lifes.

i don't think the govt. best strong suit is running a car company, and unions don't generally have the consumer's interests at heart.

the govt in this country tends to eff up a lot more things than it does anything right. lets hope we never get fully socialized health care (the govt should give businesses tax breaks equivalent to the insurance cost for providing full time work to US residents and benefits and let the employee have their choice of what plan they want to negotiate or purchase and have it be portable). that would help keep full time decent jobs here and keep the feds out of running it and it would encourage competition between providers.

as long as the govt and task force doesn't tell gm what products to build or to kill and die, then i am open to see how this turns out.

i have no doubts the union labor is skilled and builds good product, its simply the notion of a union that is sort of annoying. generally one can achieve more in life under their own ambition. rather than having it negotiated for them.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor