Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: 2011 Chevy Viva To Breath Life Into GM Compact Segment [Spy Photos]

20 posts in this topic

2011_Chevy_Viva.jpgNearly Ex-Product VP for GM Bob Lutz has revealed plans for the American-built 2011 Chevy Viva, a replacement for the Korean-built Aveo, which will offset CAFE requirements while being a car Americans might actually buy.

Yes, yes, GM filed for bankruptcy this morning, but such nonsense doesn't stop the march of new product, and competitive product is the only way GM is going to get out of the hole they've dug for themselves. The 2011 Chevy Viva hopes to erase the memory of years, and years, and years of truly terrible compact cars from GM (Geo Metro, Pontiac Lemans, Chevy Vega...) with a platform flexible enough to be built anywhere in GM's shrinking empire and stylish enough to be more than an also-ran. Lutz claims the new car will take on the B-car segment, and the Ford Fiesta in particular, with a level of competency rarely seen from GM in this segment. We expect to see the car get a version of the Chevy Cruze's 1.4 liter inline-four, though probably turbo-free like the version in the Chevy Volt. The car will be built in a reawakened GM plant somewhere in US, and was probably the car intended for Chinese assembly, but brought back as part of negotiations for UAW concessions. [Motor Trend]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=min9SrxNrnw:rJN0P68YLws:D7DqB2pKE full?i=min9SrxNrnw:rJN0P68YLws:V_sGLiPBp
min9SrxNrnw

View the full article

Hmmm....so the Chevy NA small car lineup in a couple years will be Viva, Cruze and Volt (and Aveo and Cobalt will be retired)?

Plus (if you add another year or two) the Malibu and Impala, or whatever name the Epsilon2 sedans end up getting.

Plus (if you add another year or two) the Malibu and Impala, or whatever name the Epsilon2 sedans end up getting.

Yeah, I was talking about the compact and subcompact models. The Orlando is coming also, isn't it?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Is that the only picture?? I want more.. By then I might be able to afford a replacement for my aveo...

Yeah, I was talking about the compact and subcompact models. The Orlando is coming also, isn't it?

I missed the small car bit on your post :blush:

The Orlando will come, but idk where form... NA? Daewoo? Some unused GME plant? Surely from one of these locations...

Viva? What the hell is with GM's naming scheme for their small cars?

Well, at least they are using an old name...IIRC, Viva was a Vauxhall and Holden name at one time..maybe used by Chevy in Brasil also.

Well, at least they are using an old name...IIRC, Viva was a Vauxhall and Holden name at one time..maybe used by Chevy in Brasil also.

There will be a Chevy Viva in Brazil, basically an Opel Corsa with a somewhat-Malibu-inspired front end.

EDIT - I remember from when I was small that there was a Vauhxall Viva on a street close to where my parents live... there was a time when Vauxhall had its own models and was marketed in Continental Europe.

Edited by ZL-1

Even the name sounds Daewoo. Nubira! Lacetti! Carnens! Viva!

Chevrolet: A Korean Revolution.

GM's strategy in Europe for Chevy has been a joke--using an iconic American brand to peddle generic FWD Korean sh*tboxes...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I could see them doing just that, Civic.

It will be nice to see the actual product.

Chris

Chevrolet: A Korean Revolution.

From what I've seen of the Aveo it is more like a North Korean Revolution gone wrong.

Chris

Judging by the spy shots looks pretty good too....a change for a subcompact or even compact these days......this makes Ford Fiesta look like the barf-o-rama Honda Fit! Looks like some of the styling comes from the 2006-07 WTCC Ultra concept car...

GM's strategy in Europe for Chevy has been a joke--using an iconic American brand to peddle generic FWD Korean sh*tboxes...

Those 'Korean $h!boxes' haven't performed that bad over here.

Better than Vega isn't going to cut it...

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0