Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

June Car Spotters... What did you see?

You would have loved that GTO. 74 was a very low production year...that was the year it was built on a (Ventura?) bodystyle and looked like a Nova.

The Solstice GXP coupe makes the 370Z look like a Kia minivan by comparo.

Chris

I know I have a "soft" spot for the '74's actually I had a 1973 Nova black with white rally stripes and rally wheels it was a 350 with a 4spd. that was a FUN car.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smart cars, Volkwagen Golf and Jetta V's, increasing numbers of Sebrings/Avengers, and a 1980's (not sure what year) Chevrolet Camaro Z28!

:P Driving into work for my last day at the office, I passed a Transport truck going north on 405 with nothing but Camero's on the truck, funny thing was the bottom row was all black and the top row was all red, they all had the same SS package as far as I could tell and the same 20" rims. Seemed weird to have so many cars that seem identical. The most I have ever seen of the camero in this state so far.

Lee Johnson Cheverolet has a shinny New Red SS sitting on their pedastal stand in the corner so everyone can see it on the freeway and on NE 85th st as they drive by. I suspect just like the black one, this one will not last the week before it is gone.

In the old new, I saw a 70's era Mercury Comet. Have not seen one of them around for ever. Where cool cars.

There is a maroon new TL at work..what's unusual is that I noticed today that they have painted the shield grille piece body color...looks better than the faux brushed aluminum they normally are, IMHO.

There is a maroon new TL at work..what's unusual is that I noticed today that they have painted the shield grille piece body color...looks better than the faux brushed aluminum they normally are, IMHO.

Yeah, some dealers have done that to see what reaction they get, and otherwise some owners have specifically had it done. Makes quite a difference, either way you like it.

Please take a photo next time you see it and post it for the rest of us to see. Thank you :D

I have not seen an Acura Total Loser yet with body-colour shield, but I've heard some dealers are actually having them painted... how sad that a feature is so universally hated that even DEALERS are embarrassed to sell them in OE condition.

i saw the atlanta skyline from the top of goliath yesterday, and from the superman ride, the batman ride, and the great american scream machine. i would like to see what the view is from the kingda ka in jersey.

car related i saw a late 80's early 90's caddy hearse on 24"s... :blink:

i saw the atlanta skyline from the top of goliath yesterday, and from the superman ride, the batman ride, and the great american scream machine. i would like to see what the view is from the kingda ka in jersey.

I've been on Kingda Ka twice now - August, 2005 when it was still new and May, 2008 on a field trip. The ride aims away from the ocean, so you don't see to the east. As far as I can remember, you don't see much for the 3 seconds you're at the top, but almost everyone I know looks down at the parking lot! If you do look around to the west, you see a lot of the pine barrens (pine trees). BTW, I've heard rumors that Kingda Ka has only one or two more years left before it's dismantled - it has too many breakdowns and was damaged in a early spring wind storm making shutdowns happen more often.

This morning, a couple oddities---

saw a semi tractor with two more tractor cabs (without their front wheels) piggybacked onto it's fifth wheel, and on the last one, there was a green Kia Rio strapped down, bumming a ride.

Saw a really clean silver late 4th gen Z-28, but with chrome speed holes on the front fender and 'Type-R' and 'VTEC' badges on the rear. Wierd.

I have not seen an Acura Total Loser yet with body-colour shield, but I've heard some dealers are actually having them painted... how sad that a feature is so universally hated that even DEALERS are embarrassed to sell them in OE condition.

I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow of the one at work. They also painted the silver trim at the bottom of the decklid bodycolor.

My 1st 'evah' Cruze. Silver LT model, which IIRC in Portugal means it has the 2.0L turbodiesel engine. I think the 1.6L gasoline engine is only offered in the LS trim level here, and Portugal doesn't get the 1.8L gasoline engine.

It doesn't look bad at all, although that little black thingy behind the rear doors would look much better if it was shiny plastic instead of that brightless plastic...

A few interesting things....

A beautiful early E type Jag, red, where I had previously seen a 57 red Corvette.

Another Studebaker Golden Hawk, also red, different car than the one I saw earlier. Parked out in front of Carl's Townhouse in Chillicothe. Carl's is a diner that was actually part of the 1939 worlds fair and was brought to Ohio in 1940. It and the Studebaker were both quite well preserved for their age.

A beaufiul green 71 Dodge charger, not sure if it was called Sublime still in 71 or there was another name.

New Charger in the bright yellow...

A beautiful 71 SS El Camino, blue on blue, NICE!

A really nice 55 Chevy 210 2 door, dark green, almost like british racing green, just loafing along on the highway this ayem.

And last night at VW TDI club...a new Ferrari, not sure which model, comes rolling through the parking lot while we are all outside looking at each others cars.

Coming home from TDI club with my 11 year old son Daniel, we started running beside a beauful dark blue 69 or 70 Cadillac convertible, white interior, top down, older gentleman driving the car. VW Eos pulls up in the other lane, top down, two very pretty females riding in it. Was really cool running through traffic at twilight, three VERY different convertibles, top down, rolling 80+ side by side through traffic...

Also, I know where a 63 Split window has been sitting under a cover in a driveway for 30 years. Drove by it again...still sitting there.

Chris

Also...a red MGB ragtop, running down US 23 this Ayem. Wish I could have gone to the grand am at Mid ohio this weekend, but we got backed up on service calls and I ended up working.

Wicked 85ish Monte SS drag car on a trailer, flat black...

Another Solstice Targa, also black...

Chris

Old Cadillacs are cool. Forgot to mention, a mid 60's 4 door hardtop in tan drove through the parking lot at the TDI club get together right before that Ferrari.

Seems like there are always interesting cars out there when we have our meetings. Last month IIRC we had a BMW Clownshoe Coupe drive through the lot...

Chris

Red Jewel/Ebony '10 Camaro 2SS at a Chevy dealer near here, up close & personal. Stopped in to buy some tickets for something, and had to admire it out front...in the shade, especially, the Red Jewel looks almost maroon and VERY rich. Great color for this car, especially vs. the yellow and silver I've only seen thus far;)

A few interesting things....

A beautiful early E type Jag, red, where I had previously seen a 57 red Corvette.

Another Studebaker Golden Hawk, also red, different car than the one I saw earlier. Parked out in front of Carl's Townhouse in Chillicothe. Carl's is a diner that was actually part of the 1939 worlds fair and was brought to Ohio in 1940. It and the Studebaker were both quite well preserved for their age.

A beaufiul green 71 Dodge charger, not sure if it was called Sublime still in 71 or there was another name.

New Charger in the bright yellow...

A beautiful 71 SS El Camino, blue on blue, NICE!

A really nice 55 Chevy 210 2 door, dark green, almost like british racing green, just loafing along on the highway this ayem.

And last night at VW TDI club...a new Ferrari, not sure which model, comes rolling through the parking lot while we are all outside looking at each others cars.

Coming home from TDI club with my 11 year old son Daniel, we started running beside a beauful dark blue 69 or 70 Cadillac convertible, white interior, top down, older gentleman driving the car. VW Eos pulls up in the other lane, top down, two very pretty females riding in it. Was really cool running through traffic at twilight, three VERY different convertibles, top down, rolling 80+ side by side through traffic...

Also, I know where a 63 Split window has been sitting under a cover in a driveway for 30 years. Drove by it again...still sitting there.

Chris

Wow to this whole post!

Keep an eye on that split window, would you? :AH-HA_wink:

Saw a GTR last week, very dull shade of dark grey. Didn't recognize it until I saw the tails. It has no presence.

Rough '64 Galaxie convert on a trailer, project car.

Gorgeous '68 Catalina (maybe a Bonne) fastback, gold, classic plates.

Local dealer has a Solstice Targa on the 'display rack' on the corner of the lot, silver, pretty neat.

Studebaker Hawk Chevy Colorado w/sealed beam headlights. I recall seeing pictures on the ordering guide, but I've never seen one of these fleet specials in person.

What is it with all of these stude hawks coming out of the woodwork?

Saw another studebaker today, but not a Hawk...

Chris

Wow to this whole post! Keep an eye on that split window, would you? :AH-HA_wink:

Actually if you ever come to Columbus, I'll show you the 63 Split AND a 66 Roadster that has been lost inside a barn since the 70's...

Chris

Oh, and a few other interesting cars...

Headed north, hauling ass, a BMW M1...how's that for rare.

a nice 67ish olds 88 fourdoor...

Nice 76 Grand Prix, black, well preserved, heading east on Broad Street.

At a car show...in the middle of nowhere...a white on white 72 W-30 Cutlass Hardtop. How many white on wite W-30 cars are left? Not many I'd bet. Also, 50 Ford, mild custom, still running a flathead, immaculate.

56 Ford Vicky, pink and white, I'd kill to own it, amazing car, mild updates.

a 71 Cuda 340 ragtop with a shaker hood, yellow and black, stunning, they can my firstborn son I want this car...

69 Road Runner, Hemi orange, very well preserved.

66 Mustang Fastback, Emberglow, which is a good color for the year. It was running big and little American mag wheels and looked like a 70's refugee.

One of those "kit cars" that Chryco came out with based on the Aspen, about 1978. Cool!

Very nicely done 36 Ford 5 window coupe, street rod. Glad to see it was Ford powered, nice car.

Chris

I can take you to a couple of really cool old Junkyards. Couple of junkyards still ahve cars from the 1930's, if you know where to look.

The one down on blaine highway hasn't been changed much since the 70's...

And I can take you to a GTO guy who has about 40 parts cars and a ton of project cars...including a 2+2 Pontiac Convertible of all things. (believe it or not, IIRC the 2+2 convertible was painted purple of all things...)

And one of the project cars, if it is still there is a rusty but complete blue on white 67 Ram Air GTO, complete with the 4:33 Posi rear end and all the goodies.

Same guy had a very fixable 65 Goat hardtop, in a billion pieces, along with the complete 389 and the complete tripower for the car.

Not to mention an Orbit Orange 70 Judge that was pretty much gone, and a 64 GTO ragtop...

I could also take you to a resto shop that does the kind of cars sixty eight would like...say 1930 Rolls and Caddy's. They do Studebaker Avanti's also...

I can possibly get us into a couple of big name race shops as well...or we could go play in traffic at Mid Ohio if you get bored.

Chris

On the freeway this afternoon I saw a Pontiac Matiz G2, talk about EXCITEMENT!!! overload, was a metallic lime green. Also saw a maroon late model Toyota Hilux crew cab, looked smaller and narrower than a Tacoma.

I can take you to a couple of really cool old Junkyards. Couple of junkyards still ahve cars from the 1930's, if you know where to look.

The one down on blaine highway hasn't been changed much since the 70's...

And I can take you to a GTO guy who has about 40 parts cars and a ton of project cars...including a 2+2 Pontiac Convertible of all things. (believe it or not, IIRC the 2+2 convertible was painted purple of all things...)

And one of the project cars, if it is still there is a rusty but complete blue on white 67 Ram Air GTO, complete with the 4:33 Posi rear end and all the goodies.

Same guy had a very fixable 65 Goat hardtop, in a billion pieces, along with the complete 389 and the complete tripower for the car.

Not to mention an Orbit Orange 70 Judge that was pretty much gone, and a 64 GTO ragtop...

I could also take you to a resto shop that does the kind of cars sixty eight would like...say 1930 Rolls and Caddy's. They do Studebaker Avanti's also...

I can possibly get us into a couple of big name race shops as well...or we could go play in traffic at Mid Ohio if you get bored.

Chris

That all sounds very cool to me!

Today I saw a flawless maroon metallic 64-67 Vette: totally stunning!

And, a 71ish Delta 88 vert with the top down, cornering hard.

By the way, Camino, thought of you today.

You said you didn't like yellow cars when I told you about the pristine Yellow 72 Corvette?

A block over I saw a very nice white 71 T-top car.

Also thought of you when I saw a very nicely detailed LS1 Firebird TA in red...no t tops...

Stopped by a classic car dealer here in Columbus today...Studebaker Avanti convertible...one of the continuation cars, 1988 or so IIRC.

Beautiful car.

Other cars...

A real 65 Shelby GT 350...don't think I didn't enjoy that!

Also...1970 Cougar Eliminator, grabber blue

A really cool looking 49-53ish Chevy truck project in a garage...shood be really nice done...looked like alot of good wrad already gone into her.

Pristine 28-29 model A street rod, red, nicely frenched 39 ford tail lights, the chrome on that car was just wonderful.

After getting involved with newer cars and autocossing, my love for the old stuff is coming back...

Chris

Yeah it had the high Trans Am wing (I was envisioning it sans wing and I got excited for a sec). I couldn't see the hood/nostril setup because I was behind it, and I didn't see the Firehawk graphic on the door when I pulled up on him as fast as I could before turning off. Edited by ocnblu