Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM sells Hummer to...... CHINA!!!

Although I am not happy about it going to CHINA, I must say good riddance to the brand. It's so completely pointless in my opinion.

As long as GM gets back in Fighting Form, do whatever it takes.

Although I am not happy about it going to CHINA, I must say good riddance to the brand. It's so completely pointless in my opinion.

As long as GM gets back in Fighting Form, do whatever it takes.

Hey do you work at the McD's in Quincy? I alwasys see that red VW settin there when I drive by.

Why didn't AM General want this back and just keep rolling out H1s?

Not like this affects the construction of HMMWVs. Hummer just had the rights to market/sell the civilian version of it. Seeing as how they're no longer selling the H1, I would doubt that the Hummer sale gives the Chinese any access or rights to sell the HMMWV, and it certainly doesn't affect the construction of them for the US armed forces. There's nothing for AM General to "want back", since they didn't start Hummer - GM created it (the brand).

Edited by PurdueGuy

Not like this affects the construction of HMMWVs. Hummer just had the rights to market/sell the civilian version of it. Seeing as how they're no longer selling the H1, I would doubt that the Hummer sale gives the Chinese any access or rights to sell the HMMWV, and it certainly doesn't affect the construction of them for the US armed forces. There's nothing for AM General to "want back", since they didn't start Hummer - GM created it (the brand).

And the HMMWV is obsolete now (dates back to '84), the US military is working on it's replacement now...HMMWV Replacement

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

They sold it to a privately-owned Chinese-based company... not China.

And besides, the consumer HUMMER brand has nothing of national importance to the US. Sichuan Tengzhong won't exactly be getting secret, advanced military technology. Instead, they will invest in a HUMMER that's been starved of resources, keeping the same management team, dealership base, 3,000 workers, headquarters, and operations.

They sold it to a privately-owned Chinese-based company... not China.

Keep in mind that businesses in China are not like businesses in the US. The lines between a business entity and the gov't is very blurred sometimes. That said, there's nothing sensitive that they are gaining from this AFAIK. After all, all that Hummer sells currently is the H2 and H3, so wow, they know about a boxy Tahoe and a full cabin Colorado. Whoopie! It's kind of a shame to see it go to them, but yet... I'm having trouble caring a whole lot I guess.

Keep in mind that businesses in China are not like businesses in the US. The lines between a business entity and the gov't is very blurred sometimes.

I'm sure some people would argue with that statement. :P

And yeah, I guess they get a recognizable name with some brand equity, but nowadays, driving a HUMMER is more or less means you're a dicktree. And the vehicles aren't remarkable, at all.

I find it a bit amusing that a person who owns a Jeep Grand Cherokee would post something, anything, negative about Hummer. Jeep is no better, in fact, Jeeps are known for getting among the worst fuel mileage in their respective classes. Hummer has its place in the market as a genuinely capable SUV... that said, a Hummer's rightful place is on the trail, not the mall. Same as Jeep.

Actually the H3 is a decently sized vehicle, and doesn't get that bad of a fuel economy.

Had they put a small diesel in a H3...hmmm...perfect tow vehicle for a Formula Ford and an open trailer.

Chris

Hey do you work at the McD's in Quincy? I alwasys see that red VW settin there when I drive by.

OMG! Yes that's mine, lol. I drive crazy...

Ok will the eviro global warming nut jobs go to China and set fire to Hummers over there too?

The other question is will Dongfeng Motors still clome the Hummer H1?

I can't wait for the Hummer H2 Chairman Mao Zedong Edition also the Chou En Lai edition H3 pick up will also be one to wait for.

Edited by hyperv6