Heated Windshield Washer Fluid

The commercials are a good start... The look, feel, and style of the commercials are very different from what has come out of Buick. The commercials are establishing a different perception of Buick. Let's see if this new marketing direction carries over to other Buick vehicles. "Beyond Precision" needs to clearly portray all of Buick. The Terraza & LaCrosse need similar commercials. A commercial featuring all of Buick's line-up would also help.

• 2 weeks later...
"Heated Windshield Washer Fluid?" WTF is that going to do for me in southern California? NOW I know you guys in Canada and the north would find that beneficial....it's just that I can't see basing an entire advertisement on such a feature that only a select part of the country would even care about. I saw the commercial briefly a few days ago, and unfortunately, that's all I remember about it....the "heated windshield washer fluid." Not a good way IMHO to spend your ad dollars. They need to be talking about the Lucerne's engineering, or the (supposedly) european-inspired ride, handling, and feel. OR the NorthStar V8 powertrain. OR the much-improved interior and roominess, yadda, yadda. Who knows....maybe they did talk about those things.....but unfortunately, all I remember, or took away from the ad, was the "heated windshield washer fluid." That won't get younger, import-minded consumers into a Buick showroom.

"Heated Windshield Washer Fluid?"  WTF is that going to do for me in southern California?

NOW I know you guys in Canada and the north would find that beneficial....it's just that I can't see basing an entire advertisement on such a feature that only a select part of the country would even care about.

I saw the commercial briefly a few days ago, and unfortunately, that's all I remember about it....the "heated windshield washer fluid."  Not a good way IMHO to spend your ad dollars.

They need to be talking about the Lucerne's engineering, or the (supposedly) european-inspired ride, handling, and feel.  OR the NorthStar V8 powertrain.  OR the much-improved interior and roominess, yadda, yadda.

Who knows....maybe they did talk about those things.....but unfortunately, all I remember, or took away from the ad, was the "heated windshield washer fluid."  That won't get younger, import-minded consumers into a Buick showroom.

[post="53127"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

All true. If they want people to TRULLY get the idea that the Lucerne is finally something different, and something that can go toe to toe with some of the best (imports) out there, then they better start focusing on the engineering, interior, ride/handling, etc.

Can't help but say it, but focusing on a feature like heated washer fluid (which is great, but...), reminds me of the days several years ago when GM tried to be the "button leader" and have more buttons and computer functions/controls than anyone else. Cool feature, but it belittles such a great car to actually make a point out of highlighting that on its own commercial.

As someone pointed out months ago, heated washer fluid will also make dead bug removal easier, so people in warmer climates will benefit.

[post="53159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's great. BUT, do they really need a specific commercial for it? I could see mentioning it in conjunction with other stuff, just not by itself.

That's great.  BUT, do they really need a specific commercial for it?  I could see mentioning it in conjunction with other stuff, just not by itself.

[post="53171"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, it doesn't really deserve a commercial, most of the population lives where it will snow sometime. All people really need to do is think to themselves, "Heated washer fluid. It doesn't snow here, I just get cat-sized mosquitos running into my car. Hey! Maybe that stuff will help remove the bug gunk!" It would also help if salespeople pointed this out to perspective car buyers in the hot 'n humid south.

No, it doesn't really deserve a commercial, most of the population lives where it will snow sometime.  All people really need to do is think to themselves, "Heated washer fluid.  It doesn't snow here, I just get cat-sized mosquitos running into my car.  Hey!  Maybe that stuff will help remove the bug gunk!"  It would also help if salespeople pointed this out to perspective car buyers in the hot 'n humid south.

[post="53180"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly. Mention it, maybe, in a commercial, and make sure the dealers KNOW the car inside and out, and point that out to potential buyers.

I think this commercial is a good start--what would be nice is if these commercials aired close to one another... for example, you have the heated washer fluid commercial, then another commercial then maybe another Buick commercial. Or one Buick commercial at the start of each commercial break in a show's hour (or half hour). I just think this commercial would work best as if it were in a sequence of commercials.

I think the heated washer fluid commercial is a good idea, doesn't the Avalon have a similar commercial out?? Anyways, I saw my first Lucerne on the road today while on my way to work, Oh my ********** Gawd did I fall in love pretty much immediately. I cannot believe how much better than car looks in person as opposed to GM official pics. I am 20 years old and I would feel like I was driving in high style in the Lucerne and would never make an excuse for driving it.

I think the heated washer fluid commercial is a good idea, doesn't the Avalon have a similar commercial out??

[post="53297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Toyota's commercial is about the rain-sensing windshield wipers, something Buick has had for, oh, nine years. But kudos to Avalon for catching up.

Toyota's commercial is about the rain-sensing windshield wipers, something Buick has had for, oh, nine years. But kudos to Avalon for catching up.

[post="53321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol: I had to laugh when I saw that Avalon commercial. The Park Avenue had rain-sensing wipers since 1997, but Toyota is advertising it like they just invented it. :rolleyes: I hate Toyota because all they do is steal ideas and designs. Edited by BuickEight

But think about it, Buick never really advertised it. At least not enough for me to notice it.

Anyway, I think all of this is embarassing. Is this all Buick has to show for?

[post="53381"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Avalon comes out with a feature that Buick has for 9 years and advertises it.

Buick comes out with a feature that is fairly new and unique...

and it's embarassing for Buick?

I think the heated washer fluid commercial is a good idea, doesn't the Avalon have a similar commercial out??  Anyways, I saw my first Lucerne on the road today while on my way to work, Oh my ********** Gawd did I fall in love pretty much immediately.  I cannot believe how much better than car looks in person as opposed to GM official pics.  I am 20 years old and I would feel like I was driving in high style in the Lucerne and would never make an excuse for driving it.

That's an equally stupid commercial. First time I saw it, I though "What?! :o ...they're actually ADVERTISING that? A crapload of GM cars have had that for eons...."

Shows that poor marketing occurs EVERYWHERE. Too damn bad GM can't find a firm that can ever do something 100% right, and find a way to really get the RIGHT message across. But, at the same time, Toyota can clearly make just as weird of decisions. Edited by caddycruiser

What?!! This is a GREAT commercial! It goes to help erase the "old person car" stigma with new technology, tasteful music, memorable taglines, and a slight bit of humor that mimics the avalon commercial. It's one of the best pieces of advertisement GM has put out for awhile (excluding HUMMER and Cadillac.) Look at the dynamics of the commerical and not the real message. It will have more subtle effects on consumers so that if it is advertised continually well and on a fairly regular basis, it can change the entire image of Buick. Think outside the box, fellas.

:lol: I had to laugh when I saw that Avalon commercial.  The Park Avenue had rain-sensing wipers since 1997, but Toyota is advertising it like they just invented it. :rolleyes: I hate Toyota because all they do is steal ideas and designs.

[post="53354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The LS400 had it back then, too. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with advertising a feature like rain-sensing wipers, as long as the manufacturer doesn't claim to have invented it.

Doesn't the Avalon have a similar commercial out??

[post="53321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Avalon commercial made my friend and I laugh out loud... they start going on about how it takes like this absurd fraction of a second for the human mind to respond to the falling raindrop that hits your windshield... like the computer doesn't also take a fraction of a second to pick up the drop!? And that they made it a life-or-death situation when this SINGLE droplet fell on the windshield! LOL I would have approached the commercial at a completely different angle, say, a man driving with the wipers on intermittent and then a car splashing the windshield or something and the wipers coming to his rescue. But hey, it's just me.

or have it so the lucerne goes in a big puddle and the water gets on the windshield and then the driver cant see and he is about to crash and then thankfully the buick's automated system detects it and turns the wipers on so he is able to see to save his life :) Edited by zoomtm

or have it so the lucerne goes in a big puddle and the water gets on the windshield and then the driver cant see and he is about to crash and then thankfully the buick's automated system detects it and turns the wipers on so he is able to see to save his life :)

[post="53457"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, on most cars I've driven, you have to "turn on" the rain-sensing wipers by putting the stalk in that position. Even so, the main benefit of these wipers is that you never have to alter the wiper speed, regardless if it's pouring rain or drizzling. Edited by empowah

heated washer nozzles/fluid is a genuine safety enhancement and is very beneficial to folks who travel in wet snow and freezing rain in mild freezing temps. I would LOVE to have it on my car. that said, its not new tech and its not something to build an ad campaign around. neither is a v8 that can only crack 60 in 7.5 (MT) because its mated to a 4 speed auto and correctme if i'm wrong but isn't it lackking vvt for low end torque also? i love the looks of the lucerne but the jury is out on whether ads focusing on this type of stuff will change minds. If Buick wanted to really play up the cold weather climate angle, then do this..... "Winter safety and convenience package" -heated mirrors -heated wiper fluid -heated seats and steering wheel -heavy duty climate control -engine block heater -quick defrost grid at base of windshield -full range stability control (should be standard on the lucerne anyways) -abs and traction control -winter driving mode in tranny if applicable -temperature display -on star -custom molded deep recess floor mats -provide a recess for a custom snow brush and scraper like VW does for umbrellas on passats that would be a lot more useful also, then they could provide a 'summer comfort package' -side rear and rear window shades -kick ass A/C -cooled and vented seats -autoventing moonroof shade -a nice 5 pound bag of ice in your crotch Edited by regfootball

You guys think I could possibly get one of these windshield wiper fluid heaters for my dad's '05 Grand Prix?

[post="53352"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

A couple hundred bucks, Webasto sells one in the aftermarket, I'm sure other companies do as well. Look around online.

heated washer nozzles/fluid is a genuine safety enhancement and is very beneficial to folks who travel in wet snow and freezing rain in mild freezing temps.  I would LOVE to have it on my car.

that said, its not new tech and its not something to build an ad campaign around.

neither is a v8 that can only crack 60 in 7.5 (MT) because its mated to a 4 speed auto and correctme if i'm wrong but isn't it lackking vvt for low end torque also?

i love the looks of the lucerne but the jury is out on whether ads focusing on this type of stuff will change minds.

If Buick wanted to really play up the cold weather climate angle, then do this.....

"Winter safety and convenience package"
-heated mirrors
-heated wiper fluid
-heated seats and steering wheel
-heavy duty climate control
-engine block heater
-quick defrost grid at base of windshield
-full range stability control (should be standard on the lucerne anyways)
-abs and traction control
-winter driving mode in tranny if applicable
-temperature display
-on star
-custom molded deep recess floor mats
-provide a recess for a custom snow brush and scraper like VW does for umbrellas on passats

that would be a lot more useful

also, then they could provide a 'summer comfort package'
-side rear and rear window shades
-kick ass A/C
-cooled and vented seats
-autoventing moonroof shade
-a nice 5 pound bag of ice in your crotch

[post="53501"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hmm... a 5-pound bag of ice in your crotch? I wonder if Buick made it standard we'd see a Toyota commercial next year with the Avalon featuring the "Crotch-freeze standard on Avalon XLS. It takes 0.05 seconds for you to realize your crotch is hot in the summer... with Avalon's standard bag of crotch-ice, you're that much closer to comfort, as well as saving future sperm which can breed future Toyota buyers."

Hmm... a 5-pound bag of ice in your crotch?  I wonder if Buick made it standard we'd see a Toyota commercial next year with the Avalon featuring the "Crotch-freeze standard on Avalon XLS.  It takes 0.05 seconds for you to realize your crotch is hot in the summer... with Avalon's standard bag of crotch-ice, you're that much closer to comfort, as well as saving future sperm which can breed future Toyota buyers."

[post="53523"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

nah, toyota just buys consumer reports' subscription list and also gets all the names of all the urban / public radio / liberals.

nah, toyota just buys consumer reports' subscription list and also gets all the names of all the urban / public radio / liberals.

[post="53612"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hardly.... more like the AFA-types, since Toyota is as normal and conservative and patriotic as apple pie. I betcha Bill 'O Reilly drives a Camry... maybe.

You guys think I could possibly get one of these windshield wiper fluid heaters for my dad's '05 Grand Prix?

[post="53352"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yea, get a big huge resistor that will draw lots of current and stick it in your washer tank. Wha-la. You'll probably need a alternator upgrade too.

That's great.  BUT, do they really need a specific commercial for it?  I could see mentioning it in conjunction with other stuff, just not by itself.

[post="53171"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

At this point, I wouldn't knock the commercials - at least they are making commercials - which is more than can be said for a good chunk of GM vehicles.

For every GM ad I see on TV, I see 6 Toyota commercials. Gm didn't produce a single commercial for the Camaro its entire last year of production. Dodge plastered Neon commercials on every channel...where are the commercials for the Cobalt? I haven't seen a single one.

So is it hokey for only mentioning the wipers? Maybe so. But not anymore ridiculous than Lexus spending an entire commercial telling us about the dimples on the underside of the vehicle, designed for sound deadening....or a 30 second truck commercial that shows the truck being hung from its tow bar.

Like I said, at least Buick gets a commercial. Think of all the Pontiacs that don't get airplay...Chevy's too.

All true.  If they want people to TRULLY get the idea that the Lucerne is finally something different, and something that can go toe to toe with some of the best (imports) out there, then they better start focusing on the engineering, interior, ride/handling, etc.

Can't help but say it, but focusing on a feature like heated washer fluid (which is great, but...), reminds me of the days several years ago when GM tried to be the "button leader" and have more buttons and computer functions/controls than anyone else.  Cool feature, but it belittles such a great car to actually make a point out of highlighting that on its own commercial.

[post="53144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thank GOD they aren't still putting "4-Speed Automatic" on the back trunklids of Buicks.....

OR, "ABS Anti-Lock-Brakes" around the center caps on Pontiac wheels......

AND, we don't have to look at CTSs and STSs with "Touring Suspension" emblazoned in the rear decklid.

:lol:

They probably do steinravnik... but if the commercial is on cable, then it will show nation-wide. Besides, we all know LA people don't go skiing in the San Gabriel and San Bernardino Mountains. How stupid of Buick. Don't forget those weekend trips to Lake Tahoe that LA residents never take either... nope, they don't. California and near-by areas have nothing but beaches and 80 degree weather. :rolleyes:

Can't help but say it, but focusing on a feature like heated washer fluid (which is great, but...), reminds me of the days several years ago when GM tried to be the "button leader" and have more buttons and computer functions/controls than anyone else.  Cool feature, but it belittles such a great car to actually make a point out of highlighting that on its own commercial.

[post="53144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Really, the same can be said for foreign features like power sunshades and lane-departure warning.

They probably do steinravnik... but if the commercial is on cable, then it will show nation-wide. Besides, we all know LA people don't go skiing in the San Gabriel and San Bernardino Mountains. How stupid of Buick. Don't forget those weekend trips to Lake Tahoe that LA residents never take either... nope, they don't. California  and near-by areas have nothing but beaches and 80 degree weather. :rolleyes:

[post="53872"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I understand your point. Of course we go to the mountains to ski in the winter.

HOWEVER, most of us southern Californians don't LIVE winter-long up in the mountains to where we would be utilizing something like "heated windshield washer fluid" all that often so to us it's perhaps not really a big deal....and we'd rather hear about the Lucerne's new powertrain, or European feel, or roomy and attractive import-like interior. Those are more significant IMHO.

The commercial, I think, is not necessarily about the heated washer fluid... and I think thats the point. It's about giving Buick a personality. After showing both commercials to all my friends (I always make them suffer through Buick stuff) it was unanimously agreed that they liked the heated washer fluid one better... because the commercials funny! Not buckle-over laughing funny, but enough to make the watcher go "heh" and that sticks. It's basically an introduction to the vehicle- we ALL know there are more features coming up that will be advertised but this is a good initial one. #1- because someone might be so frusterated this winter that this is actually appealing... and trust me, I live near Buffalo, this type of advertising could really make someone buy a car and last I checked Buick wasn't the #1 selling vehicle in Southern California... in fact I don't think it made the top 50 brands being sold there and it's sincerely doubtful that they'll be starting to buy them due to ANY Buick commercial... it's the culture down there to buy foreign period. It's imbedded in them. Buick is sold mostly in the north, especially in the old rust-belt and this commercial will appeal to them. #2. It's a luxury feature being offered in the least expensive vehicle on the market with that feature. It's something worth noting... as is the magnetic ride control... these are things only offered in vehicles with a higher price... now it's within reach... with Buick. Each of my friends didn't enjoy the precision one as much (even though I think I like that one more) and that's because it wasn't as funny... it comes across as the standard car commercial though I like the music with it. Nothing sticks out about the precision one YET it is more informative, it shows the true nature of the car, they really did spend that much time and detail on it. But the wiper one is funny so it sticks. And I think most people are having a problem with this is because someone decided to put this on the C&G front page like Buick is spending half of its funding on promoting the washer-fluid. It's just one commercial and it's an introductory commercial, one that makes people remember the Lucerne... it's simple.

I think its a great idea for a commercial to differentiate itself and get the car noticed, especially a new, striking looking model. Look at the discussion it sparked here. Showing a commercial about more important features such as the new Lucerne having (for example hypothetical numbers) 23% more leg room and 31% more power then the compeitition, won't cut it in an ad on TV anymore. Consumers have tuned out those commercials, as every company does that nowadays. To catch the eye and ear of people, focusing on such a unique aspect that most popel think are brand new will make people pay a alittle closer attention to the ad, and, thus, the car, never mind the positive impression of Buick being at the forefront of technology, and the design of the vehicle. Edited by mr.nice

Just saw the "3rd" new Lucerne commercial, the one with the decibal-reading head (Mr. Arkin, or whatever it is), and that one is actually a little better than the stupid "millimeter" or heated washer fluid one that have been playing non-stop. Same dark, cold (and kinda ugly) coloring to the whole thing, but actually does one or two complete pans of the full interior and talks just a bit about how the head is used in Buick's QuietTuning, in a sorta jovial way. Not amazing, but pretty good. One problem though: When panning around the interior, even in the horrible black/blue/gray death lighting they're using, the "black chunk" of a center piece with the radio and A/C jumps out like a sore thumb :blink: Looked a little funny at first, but then I remembered what I was seeing...GM CSD...GM Center Stack Disease... :huh: Too bad THAT had to stick out in a overall pretty nice ad :rolleyes: Edited by caddycruiser

Well when you dont have any other unique "features" hot window pisser commercials have to do it. Kinda like the Onstar and heads up display GM keeps forcing on their cars. Isnt it funny though, once GM gives up on the good idea someone else will take the ball and run with it. I predict Toyota being a super seller with plastic minivans, dust buster designs, 2 seat mid engine 4 cylinder sports cars, and blando buick boring clone pedestrian transportation. O wait they did.