Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Holden working on Cruze hatch... but will it come to North America?

11 posts in this topic

Filed under: Economy, Hatchbacks, GM, Holden, Australia

2009-holden-cruze-dead-on-580.jpg

According to Australia's Drive, Holden boss Mark Reuss has confirmed that General Motors' Australian outpost will produce a hatchback version of the Cruze sedan that it shares with Chevrolet.

The liftback will apparently be very much an Aussie product, with research and development being carried out Down Under, and there are plans to assemble the model at Holden's South Australian plant beginning in the fall of 2010. Critically, it's being built with foreign markets in mind, so that could mean that the model might find its way to North American shores, although const constraints would likely make such things difficult on such a low-cost model.

As it has here in the States, GM has halted importation of the European-built Astra into Australia due to cost concerns, and it also stopped selling the Korean-built Viva (a rebadged Daewoo Lacetti) earlier in 2009.

Interestingly, Drive suggests that the Cruze hatch model could be an upmarket stablemate to the sedan model, with different steering and suspension tunings, along with unique styling. While that sounds enticing, a higher-cost hatchback model might not go well with America's historically hatchback-averse marketplace, leading us to doubt that the car will eventually be offered Stateside.

As of yet, there are no official plans to build a version of the hatchback domestically in Chevrolet's Lordstown, Ohio plant where the Cruze sedan will be assembled.

[source: Drive.com.au]

REPORT: Holden working on Cruze hatch... but will it come to North America? originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=LhH5trIE1BA:bV7NpGsIwJA:wF9xT autoblog?i=LhH5trIE1BA:bV7NpGsIwJA:V_sGL
LhH5trIE1BA

View the full article

Looks good with the Holden grille.

I believe a hatch was part of the program all along, so this being "very much an Aussie product" sounds kind of strange... perhaps the development of the Cruze hatch was assigned to Australia from the start... anyway, this is an IMPORTANT car for GM, I hope it is succesful in the global marketplace.

Looks good with the Holden grille.

I believe a hatch was part of the program all along, so this being "very much an Aussie product" sounds kind of strange... perhaps the development of the Cruze hatch was assigned to Australia from the start... anyway, this is an IMPORTANT car for GM, I hope it is succesful in the global marketplace.

Yeah, I would assume a hatch would be a necessity for European markets...it would be nice in the US, even though Americans strangely don't buy many of 'em.

Yeah, I would assume a hatch would be a necessity for European markets...it would be nice in the US, even though Americans strangely don't buy many of 'em.

The notion of practicality is different I think. For us in Europe it has to do with the flexibility that hatches provide in having a single car carry the family and ocasionally carry some larger cargo volume . In the US the idea of practicality seems to have more to do with 'raw power' needs such as towing, hauling heavier stuff. That's why large pickup trucks have been so popular in the US, even when people do not tow or carry much stuff.

It is a sinister looking vehicle with Holden Grille and logo.

How about a 3-door hatch here in The States? SOMETHING to carry on from the Cobalt coupe is needed. A 3-door with coupe-like styling could blur the lines enough that Americans would bite. A 5-door hatch? Maxx, and before that, Corsica hatch, anyone? No? That's what I thought.

How about a 3-door hatch here in The States? SOMETHING to carry on from the Cobalt coupe is needed. A 3-door with coupe-like styling could blur the lines enough that Americans would bite. A 5-door hatch? Maxx, and before that, Corsica hatch, anyone? No? That's what I thought.

3- and 5- door hatches could take the place of the Saturn Astra, fill that void. A conventional coupe would make sense also. I assume some markets will get a wagon as well.

Once again, and especially now that some great brands have been discarded like so much flotsam, a full range of bodystyles would be most welcome. Coupe, convertible, hatch, sedan, wagon, panel, tiny pickup... WHY NOT? It's a new day at GM. Fewer models, more variations to cover the market.

Once again, and especially now that some great brands have been discarded like so much flotsam, a full range of bodystyles would be most welcome. Coupe, convertible, hatch, sedan, wagon, panel, tiny pickup... WHY NOT? It's a new day at GM. Fewer models, more variations to cover the market.

Ya, the Astra is offered in 4 or 5 bodystyles in some markets! Even BMW offers the 3 series in 4 bodystyles in the US, would be nice to see a few full line models like that in GM's lineup...

It would be a good way to make up for the lost brands. Make each remaining model in more variations, like the old days. WORK those platforms, make them earn their keep!

It is a sinister looking vehicle with Holden Grille and logo.

+1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0