NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: 15 Crazy Traffic Signals [Traffic Lights]

24 posts in this topic

We encounter traffic signals daily and though they might annoy us daily at times, we definitely take ours for granted. Take a peak at these 15 crazy traffic signals and let us know if you still have the same complaints.

[via allworldcars]

traffic_lights_jalopnik_02.jpgLocation: Germany
We always knew something was up with those crazy Germans and apparently the only time to stop is for little red fairy hugs.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_08.jpgLocation: Australia
Officially named a '14 lanterns' signal, it would officially piss us off.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_03.jpgLocation: Germany
Again, ze crazy Germans, this time with their ultra annoyingly positive, forward thinking traffic signals.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_14.jpgLocation: Unknown
The only execution that'll happen is when you're stop to read this traffic signal while it's green.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_07.jpgLocation: Germany
These signals attempt to learn you some sweet street crossing skills.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_10.jpgLocation: Amsterdam
Look, even the bicyclists get traffic signals.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_01.jpgLocation: Cambridge
Don't worry, be happy that you're getting ready to get stuck in traffic on your way home from a super long day at work. Kill it with fire. Now.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_12.jpgLocation: Germany
Could the signal be any higher or any more distracting?

traffic_lights_jalopnik_09.jpgLocation: Copenhagen
Damn bicyclists again. Can't they just learn to keep a sense of awareness when traveling on the streets?

traffic_lights_jalopnik_04.jpgLocation: Italy
Silly Italians and your sexy-time designer traffic signals.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_05.jpgLocation: Australia
How convenient that the Australians get a countdown clock letting them know how soon they can resume honning.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_13.jpgLocation: Unknown
Mobile traffic signal? Damn the man and his sneaky ways.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_06.jpgLocation: Japan
The Japanese borrowed the countdown idea from Oz and in typical Japanese fashion, made it impossible to actually understand, but it certainly looks cool.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_11.jpgLocation: Unknown, but likely Jamaica
There's nothing like getting your smoke on while cruising in traffic. Great idea.

traffic_lights_jalopnik_15.jpgLocation: London
Get. Out. It doesn't get much more confusing than this.

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=t2n_TNADIrw:PecrgiQVono:D7DqB2pKE full?i=t2n_TNADIrw:PecrgiQVono:V_sGLiPBp
t2n_TNADIrw

View the full article

Portland has separate bicycle signals--I think this is a good idea, especially for areas with separate phasing and high cyclist volumes.

Portland has separate bicycle signals--I think this is a good idea, especially for areas with separate phasing and high cyclist volumes.

Do the cyclists pay attention to them? Even with dedicated bike lanes, I too often see the spandex sh*tbags blast through the redlights and stopsigns here (and in Denver)...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

:o @ at that London one. That's worse than cellphone towers designed to look like trees!

:o @ at that London one. That's worse than cellphone towers designed to look like trees!

Add some tinsel and a star on top, and it's a Christmas tree.

Davis, CA has bicycle lights too.

Also when UC Davis was doing construction on campus and only had one lane traffic for over a year, they had portable traffic lights installed.

Do the cyclists pay attention to them? Even with dedicated bike lanes, I too often see the spandex sh*tbags blast through the redlights and stopsigns here (and in Denver)...

I don't know. I haven't been to Portland, but have been to enough transportation seminars where Portland was praised for its cycle signals. I agree about cyclists not following traffic laws, and I think cyclists should be licensed.

Personally being here in Seattle, I have come to hate the Cyclist, if there is no bike lane, stay the hell off the road.

Personally being here in Seattle, I have come to hate the Cyclist, if there is no bike lane, stay the hell off the road.

+1

+1. Bicycles have no place on streets or roads w/o bike lanes, IMHO. I used to ride a mountain bike some, but only on trails..I'd never ride on streets or roads.

+1. Bicycles have no place on streets or roads w/o bike lanes, IMHO. I used to ride a mountain bike some, but only on trails..I'd never ride on streets or roads.

If you live in an area with bike lanes, that's fine. I have never, in my life, seen an actual bike lane and grew up where biking on public roads is not deemed an issue. Here, we have these:

share-the-road.jpg

And we share the roads, lovingly. :P

There are few bike lanes around here, but a lot of "Share the Road" signs.

If you live in an area with bike lanes, that's fine. I have never, in my life, seen an actual bike lane and grew up where biking on public roads is not deemed an issue. Here, we have these:

share-the-road.jpg

And we share the roads, lovingly. :P

That shoulder would work as a bike lane, and I'm sure most cyclists use it as such. Here's the difference: when you're in a rural area, it doesn't matter so much. The pic you posted shows a rural road, which likely has very few intersections with signals, or any real complexity to it. Go to a large city, though, and you'll see cyclists running red lights, getting into accidents with cars (of course THEY always blame the driver), riding between lanes, weaving between cars, and generally acting like asshats on the road posing a danger to themselves and others.

I think it would be great if bicyclists were forced to install amber turn signals like motorcyclists, possess a license, and follow all applicable traffic laws.

Go to a large city, though, and you'll see cyclists running red lights, getting into accidents with cars (of course THEY always blame the driver), riding between lanes, weaving between cars, and generally acting like asshats on the road posing a danger to themselves and others.

Not all bicyclists are intelligent.

Just remember, lane splitting is legal in California.

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

Source: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

"Safe and prudent" does not include "weaving between cars" and "generally acting like asshats posing a danger to themselves and others."

Just remember, lane splitting is legal in California.

Last time I was in CA, I thought some dweeb on a Vespa was going to take my mirror off, lane splitting on the 405.

Last time I was in CA, I thought some dweeb on a Vespa was going to take my mirror off, lane splitting on the 405.

Southbound 405? Those lanes are a ridiculously narrow 10ft...the minimum for federal standards. Half the time taking Sepulveda is faster than the 405...ugh I hate that freeway.

Southbound 405? Those lanes are a ridiculously narrow 10ft...the minimum for federal standards. Half the time taking Sepulveda is faster than the 405...ugh I hate that freeway.

Yes, southbound...near LAX... I was in a rental Grand Marquis, couple of years ago.

Yes, southbound...near LAX... I was in a rental Grand Marquis, couple of years ago.

I hate the 405.

I hate the 405.

+1

Since it is the westernmost freeway that travels north/south, every east/west freeway DUMPS into it. It is like automotive version of a polluted canal.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead