Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Doane

LCD vs. LED

Is there a slight possibility that someone out there has a life and doesn't rely on TV for his/her human interaction?

That statement is slightly ironic, being made on the internet and all.

And this is America we're talking about, the average household has a tv on for like 8 hours a day.

I'd don't give a $h! about my TV, it just isn't important to me and never has been. In fact, I spent about a year without one.

CRT still has the best black.

yes, same as if the new tech tv, that is based on crt, but flat screen.. can't think of what it's called, jus tlooked, SED tech. LCD's with CR's of 1 million+ are on sale now... they should come hella close

just a clarification, the title is the screen tech vs how it's back lit.... should be more like, fluorescent vs LED

*shrug* The fast motion stuff seems pretty good on the newest products in the store right now. Maybe you're thinking of the LCDs with the 60Hz refresh rate? 120Hz seems to do a pretty nice job. The thing about the blacks is still true though...but getting better. I didn't notice anything with the reds.

120Hz. It isn't constant, but under certain image circumstances, it's pronounced.

just a clarification, the title is the screen tech vs how it's back lit.... should be more like, fluorescent vs LED

I thought about mentioning this earlier, but he's right...LED TVs are LCDs that just happen to be backlit by LED light.

I thought about mentioning this earlier, but he's right...LED TVs are LCDs that just happen to be backlit by LED light.

Right.

Hah...slightly new problem now. My furniture was delivered today and, boy, it didn't look this big in the store...

Not really sure what will go where and how. I wasn't planning on wall mounting the TV, but I might have to now.

Right.

Hah...slightly new problem now. My furniture was delivered today and, boy, it didn't look this big in the store...

Not really sure what will go where and how. I wasn't planning on wall mounting the TV, but I might have to now.

Maybe your new place is smaller than you thought. :P

Maybe your new place is smaller than you thought. :P

Hah no its actually a little bigger than my current place.

Edit: Oh wait...thats not true. Hah I have 50 less square feet :P

I find that square footage in dwellings is a lot less important than the space planning therein. I'd take a square footage cut in a new apartment versus my current one in it had a more open layout and weren't all chopped up inside. Tons of wasted space.

I find that square footage in dwellings is a lot less important than the space planning therein. I'd take a square footage cut in a new apartment versus my current one in it had a more open layout and weren't all chopped up inside. Tons of wasted space.

Yep, space efficiency is very important. Our house is fairly big on the outside, but the floot plan wastes the sspace and make it feel smaller than it is.

Yep, space efficiency is very important. Our house is fairly big on the outside, but the floot plan wastes the sspace and make it feel smaller than it is.

The main floor of my parents' house is the same way; it was built in 1933, so in that context, it isn't too bad...just no one needs "maid quarters" these days, and with an attached garage conversion, the layout of half of it seems very oddly arranged. Entryway, formal living room, and dining room are fairly open, though, and the kitchen could be too with a major renovation.

I love old houses, but they definitely require a bit of investment for modern living.

my parents got their Samsung off amazon or newegg, I forget either way much cheaper than Best Buy

The main floor of my parents' house is the same way; it was built in 1933, so in that context, it isn't too bad...just no one needs "maid quarters" these days, and with an attached garage conversion, the layout of half of it seems very oddly arranged. Entryway, formal living room, and dining room are fairly open, though, and the kitchen could be too with a major renovation.

I love old houses, but they definitely require a bit of investment for modern living.

Our house was built circa 1905. There's two hallways that waste space and could have been designed better. The worst aspect of hour house is the "kitchen" is quite large, but only has the stove, microwave, fridge, and table in it. It has no storage at all. All of the cabinets, sink, and dishwasher are crammed into this small area that is useless to work in. Our neighbor's house was identical to ours before the, but when it was rebuilt, that little space was turned into a bathroom, and the big empty space was turned into a real kitchen.

Another example of this space wasting is that the back bedroom has a smaller room behind it, that really isn't big enough to use for much besides a couple chairs and a small TV. What the neighbors did was knock the wall that separated the rooms down and made it into a much larger feeling room.

One thing I've noticed about newer houses is that the closets are tiny and unlit, which irritates me. Jill and I have the closet in the master bedroom filled with out-of-season stuff in the closet in the guest room, which doesn't have a light.

And I equate CRT to portable cd players. Sure people still use them, but there are much better options available.

my parents got their Samsung off amazon or newegg, I forget either way much cheaper than Best Buy

Just quoting this because the deals online are really good. Newegg.com may even have what you're looking for, and they're great for prices.

Sure you don't get any human interaction or possible help in your decision, but then again, you're also less likely to get drooled on by a typical Best Buy employee.

I was in Best Buy a couple weeks ago and I was shocked to see the number of hot chicks working there. It seemed every department except automotive audio had a hot girl. I was pleasantly surprised.