Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Pontiac G8 could live on, sans Pontiac... but don't hold your breath

20 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Buick, Chevrolet, GM, Pontiac, Rumormill

01_pontiacg8_garage-580op.jpg
Pontiac G8 GT - Click above for a high-res image gallery

The brand's demise next year will mark the end of the Pontiac G8, but there's a faint glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for the Aussie-built sports sedan. Speaking with Automotive News, Tom Stephens, General Motors' vice chairman of global product development, said "there's still discussions on" resurrecting the G8, "but Chevrolet already has several sedans. How many sedans do you need to cover the waterfront?"

His comments don't imbue us with much hope for the G8's future, particularly after GM CEO Fritz Henderson has clearly stated that no Pontiac models will live on within the "new" GM. Although there's a groundswell of enthusiast support for the General to replace the Impala SS - due to be killed next year - with the G8, or possibly offer the rear-wheel drive sedan as a Buick model, the idea doesn't seem to be gaining traction within the automaker.

[source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]

Pontiac G8 could live on, sans Pontiac... but don't hold your breath originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=ijxJp9FM3xE:OufiyLgPWbY:wF9xT autoblog?i=ijxJp9FM3xE:OufiyLgPWbY:V_sGL
ijxJp9FM3xE

View the full article

Simplest thing to do is keep it in the same showroom as it is now and badge it as a GMC G8 :)

Or make it the new Impala.

That would be a killer Impala :D

How about a GMC Tornado. :P Give a few here a catch back to the past and keeps it in the same show room as it currently is.

That would be a killer Impala :D

How about a GMC Tornado. :P Give a few here a catch back to the past and keeps it in the same show room as it currently is.

Quick..someone photoshop the Acadia (or ugly Terrain) fascia on the G8.. :)

Rob

Quick..someone photoshop the Acadia (or ugly Terrain) fascia on the G8.. :)

Rob

:rotflmao: I would love to see that.

Ya, probably just wishful thinking. Though there was that article last month about the LAPD being interesting in Commodores. Who knows? It certainly would be nice to continue this car in the US for a few more years, and replace the outdated W-Impala.

www.notgonnahappen.com?

+1

Better get one now, cause when they are gone, they are gone...

Chris :convertible:

If GM doesn't use this car, they are idiots.

No other way to describe this.

If GM doesn't use this car, they are idiots.

No other way to describe this.

There are stronger words that are more accurate, but they will close the thread and bring in the mods.

I went to an Audi/VW dealer after work to blow off for a little while after work today. They aren't standing still or moving backwards in terms of design, for sure.

GM shouldn't either, esp. when they already have the car and it is selling well.

Chris

+1

Better get one now, cause when they are gone, they are gone...

Chris :convertible:

Hmmmmm, what would Bö®gÉr do ??? :smilewide:

"but Chevrolet already has several sedans. How many sedans do you need to cover the waterfront?"

Gee, I dunno... ENOUGH TO COVER WHATEVER THE MARKET DEMANDS?!?!

Chevrolet currently has 4 sedans... Toyota has 4, Ford has 4.... Why not replace the ancient Impala with the G8?

Or better yet, why not REALLY make some money and sell it as a Lucerne replacement? Oh wait, I forgot, Cadillac will get it's panties in a bunch.

GOD FORBID we ever worry about volume over Cadillac's 14 luxury car sales.

I have been saying for a few weeks this car will return as a Caprice.

Let look at what is in play.

The car is already set for the US market.

The Chevy nose already is made and used in the middel east on their Caprice.

Holden needs the 1 Billion dollars this car will return with 40,000 units imported to the states.

They have already built one in LAPD colors with the Chevy nose but everything else including the hood was a G8.

THey would not say they will import any Chevys till all the G8's are gone and as of last check they still have a lot to sell.

They will not call it an Impala at this will not be a high volume car and there is already work on a FWD Impala in the works.

THis is not a 100% deal with the goverment calling the shots but the odds are better than they want you to think.

Outside chance a El Camino? I would not hold my breath on that one but you never know.

If GM needs money anything is possible and this would be a cheap venture. Look for it to be promoted more as large family sedan with the V6 more than the V8. Also no SS.

what i have been saying all along. the current fwd impala loses the leaper and gets the classic badge to be sold as impala classic, as the oshawa contract says the impala nameplate is to be built there.

the g8 v8 is swapped to the 'Impala SS' complete with the leaper on the pillar and the chevy beak. i sure hope holden moves those power swtiches.

the v6 car will get the 3.6/6 speed auto as standard equipment as it has been federalized and will simply be called 'impala'.

my sense is the GXP version manual will get lost in translation.

holden needs the import business to remain healthy and holden's health IS important to GM here. cops and taxis alone could buy all 40k of these cars in a heartbeat.

BTW i think i saw about 4 g8's today and i have been seeing them ALL OVER. pity that the VIBE is last pontiac standing.

It is so insulting and wrong for the Vibe to be the last Pontiac.

The brand at least deserves a more dignified end.

Edited by Camino LS6

I've seen quite a few G8, V6's in generally 'base' configuration around. Near where I park for school, a homeowner parked his white G8 V6 on the street, and I thought I'd ask what he thought of it; he mentioned that he loves everything about the car, how it looks great, the V6 isn't bad at all, the interior quality is great, and it's rear-drive to boot.

GM has a winner here, and people still want larger four door sedans with some 'oomph,' and it makes no sense to not have it in Chevy's stable. It can only help raise perceptions of the brand when it needs all the help it can get.

This car needs to go to Chevy. Call it the Impala or Caprice I don't care it would sell.

It is so insulting and wrong for the Vibe to be the last Pontiac.

The brand at least deserves a more dignified end.

Look at it in terms of human anatomy. At the very end of the body is the anus. Apparently that holds true for Pontiac as well.

Chris

This car needs to go to Chevy. Call it the Impala or Caprice I don't care it would sell.

Not just yes but hell yes...

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0