Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

TCC: Tata Nano: In The U.S. By 2012

27 posts in this topic

tata-nano-europa_100179132_t.gif With a base model that starts around $2,500, the Tata Nano has been wildly popular since it went on pre-sale in India in April. As we mentioned a few weeks back, it's already sold over 200,000 units there, with another 600,000 buyers waiting in the wings. Given all that hoopla, how could Tata resist the allure of bringing such a moneymaker to ..

di
di

TheCarConnection?i=BLS_HUWD6h4:K13Ai3inE TheCarConnection?d=qj6IDK7rITs TheCarConnection?i=BLS_HUWD6h4:K13Ai3inE TheCarConnection?d=TzevzKxY174 TheCarConnection?d=7Q72WNTAKBA
BLS_HUWD6h4

View the full article

But will it be spicy like Chicken Vindaloo? :)

Abomination of a vehicle. Seriously it should be used as closed golf carts.

considering the crushing of the middle class, and people's affinity for walmart style deals, i would tend to think this thing will be wildly popular.

even if it is a hunk, we've already been brought down to this level morally, financially, culturally, and politically. Why not have an auto available in our country for sale that reflects where our population is at?

Maybe they can cut a deal to sell it at Wal-Mart. Or a deal with Costco---call it the Kirkland Generica.

I see this vehicle, should it become popular here, as both a help and hindrance. On one hand people who own cars and downsize to it will use less gas and take up less room in parking lots and on the road. But on the other hand, people who can only afford to take the bus now will be able to afford their own vehicle, and traffic/fuel usage overall may increase.

Either way, I'd never drive one of these, but I would far prefer to share the road with these than larger vehicles.

I doubt it'll do well at all in our marketplace. Established competitors will likely offer more options, and amenities, and reputations of quality in their competing vehicles, for not too much more.

I doubt it'll do well at all in our marketplace. Established competitors will likely offer more options, and amenities, and reputations of quality in their competing vehicles, for not too much more.

If it's cheap enough, it will find a market..could be the Yugo of the twenty-teens.

IIRC, one of the car mags basically said it will have to be much closer to a $10K car before it can be sold here.

Some hurdles it would have to overcome:

It would be positively run over. It can only do ~100 km/h max right now.

No airbags

No disc brakes, so obviously no ABS or ESC either

No ventilation system at all.

No radio

It probably crash tests like a Coke can, after all "better than a motorcycle w/ 4 pepole on it" was the safety standard it meets in it's homeland.

There are separate rules for low volume manufacturers, so Tata may try to go the kit route or keep volume low enough to avoid having to meet any government regs.

I wish Holden could do that!

There are separate rules for low volume manufacturers, so Tata may try to go the kit route or keep volume low enough to avoid having to meet any government regs.

Or with its blocky profile they could just cut a sunroof-sized hole in the floor and sell it at sporting goods stores as a self-propelled ice fishing shelter. :wink:

Supposedly they are building a version for EU markets before the US..if it can pass the EuroNCAP standards, it should be able to pass the US one...supposed to be a larger car than the Indian market one also, from what I've read...hopefully better spec'd, also, since the Indian one is bare bones, as stripped down as a '76 Chevette Scooter.

Maybe they can cut a deal to sell it at Wal-Mart. Or a deal with Costco---call it the Kirkland Generica.

i would be quite willing to bet that either walmart, or best buy, or ALDI already is eyeballing this. Walmart would love to get in on the car action.

the odd irony is that this thing will hit market for about 8-10 grand with an almost unacceptable level of refinement. Yet, it will be praised as a new dawn in simple and affordable transportation. Its a new company, cute wrapper, etc.

and all the while, new Aveos, which are a little more refined, only sell for a couple grand more, but get lambasted as basic transportation because they are not refined enough.

I'm guessing the TATA won't outperform an Aveo, but its from an outsider and will be a little cheaper, and it has a feel good story behind it.

Chevy should outTATA the TATA before the TATAS arrive.

i would be quite willing to bet that either walmart, or best buy, or ALDI already is eyeballing this. Walmart would love to get in on the car action.

If ALDI were to sell them, could they also mention fake "German engineering" in the ads like VW does with its Chrysler vans. :scratchchin:

I wish Holden could do that!

IIRC, government regs kick in at a fairly low point, so I don't see how Tata could do it. Holden already passed the tests.

Even if the government doesn't require crash tests, they still have to pass NHTSA guidelines. Even homebuilts need to pass these. I wonder why I would look into stuff like that... ;-)

Maybe this will be the new Costco Kirkland Kommuter Kar.

Lessee... how many decades back to we have to go to find an 'entry-level' car meeting the Trifecta of Pathetica : no radio, no ventilation and not able to break 60 MPH??

1925 ?

No doubt those that can only see Good & Righteousness in anything imported will buy a few to cuddle with, but the 35-yr old Chevette already owns this AFA the basics is concerned.

Used cars will still have the upper hand in the US over this rolling potpourri of the diabolically mediocre and viciously retarded.

Lessee... how many decades back to we have to go to find an 'entry-level' car meeting the Trifecta of Pathetica : no radio, no ventilation and not able to break 60 MPH??

I'm sure they will upgrade the content for the US market...it could eclipse the Smart for the minimalist motorists, since it seats 4.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Subjecting 3 other people in 2009 to a silent, stuffy, slow ride in a 2000-lb "car" eclipses only the Geneva Convention's international human rights laws. Imagine even a workplace lunchtime jaunt to a local eatery- think the vote will ever swing in favor of the nano?

And I advocated a Minimalist Car on these boards some years ago, but I've yet to see any consumer movement toward it- most still expect NAV & 10-function audio systems in the most cheap & nasty sub sub compact.

Edited by balthazar

Imagine even a workplace lunchtime jaunt to a local eatery- think the vote will ever swing in favor of the nano?

Heh-heh...probably not. When I worked at a company with a strong eat out for lunch culture (every day), I often ended up driving my cubies, since my Jeep seats 5 (and it's not even a very large SUV).

One of the more memorable lunch trips at that job was 4 of us in a Corolla, myself riding in the back seat, and having to get out twice so the car would clear parking lot speed bumps. We got 5 comfortably in Priuses a few times. The HHR and Caliber were memorable, if only because I couldn't see very well out of them.. the Boxster was fun, but only for 2.. Usually we were in something more mainstream like a Camry, Altima, A4, 3-series, various SUVs.

Most entertaining may have been 5 in a colleague's gorgeous yellow '66 Impala convertible, top down, beautiful Colorado spring day..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room