Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Saturn Vue two-mode dead, Chevrolet Equinox hybrid unlikely to hit until 2011

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrids/Alternative, Crossovers/CUVs, GM, Saturn

sat-vue-2-mode-first-drive-580.jpg
Saturn Vue Two-Mode hybrid - click above for high-res gallery

When word came in the last few days that General Motors had reached a tentative deal to sell the Saturn brand to Roger Penske, the obvious question then became, "What about product?" The Penske deal apparently includes an agreement to continue supplying some current Saturn products on an interim basis until Penske lines up a new supplier and Penske has said that EVs are a priority. One of the most anticipated products that was scheduled to come from Saturn soon was the first front-wheel drive application of the two mode hybrid system in the Vue. GM had completed development of the two-mode Vue in mid-2008 and production was originally scheduled to start in November of last year. However, when GM's finances went from bad to worse, the hybrid launch was delayed first until spring 2009 and then summer.

GM hybrid spokesman Brian Corbett spoke with ABG at the opening of the company's new battery lab and gave us the bad news. The Vue two mode hybrid will never be, despite the Penske deal. While the two mode system will be installed in other as yet un-named vehicles (likely including the Chevrolet Equinox), those models won't appear until at least calender year 2011. The delay is likely due to an engine change. The Vue was to use the 3.6-liter V6, and that engine is not currently used in the new Equinox or the new Cadillac SRX, the other rumored recipient. Most likely, GM is switching over to using the new 3.0-liter direct-injected V6 or perhaps even the new 2.2-liter DI four cylinder.

[source: General Motors]

Saturn Vue two-mode dead, Chevrolet Equinox hybrid unlikely to hit until 2011 originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:20:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=LN_2NiMphJs:R8VBdz2K71w:wF9xT autoblog?i=LN_2NiMphJs:R8VBdz2K71w:V_sGL
LN_2NiMphJs

View the full article

Unfotunately, the two-mode was close enough to production that most of the retailers had already spent a few thousand apiece on technician training and the requisite special tools this past fall.

The Vue was to use the 3.6-liter V6

Well ya know what? GOOD! I'm glad it's dead... cause this is just about the dumbest thing I've heard all week after the boycott of GM article.

Why on EARTH would you put the Vue at such a dramatic disadvantage to the Escape in terms of fuel economy?

Unfotunately, the two-mode was close enough to production that most of the retailers had already spent a few thousand apiece on technician training and the requisite special tools this past fall.

lmao

Well ya know what? GOOD! I'm glad it's dead... cause this is just about the dumbest thing I've heard all week after the boycott of GM article.

Why on EARTH would you put the Vue at such a dramatic disadvantage to the Escape in terms of fuel economy?

Weight? Isn't the Vue like 4300lbs without the hybrid stuff?

I wouldn't have been that far off, would it? And it would have offered a lot more power. The price would have been a killer though... probably 33% more $$$ than the Escape Hybrid.

I wouldn't have been that far off, would it? And it would have offered a lot more power. The price would have been a killer though... probably 33% more $$ than the Escape Hybrid.

Even still. I like the 3.6, but it's no fuel miser. If they wanted to have a V6 two-mode, at least use the 3.0DI.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room