Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: GM Narrows Small Car Production To Three Plants [Industry News]

6 posts in this topic

Chevy_Beat.jpgGM announced today it would build a "future small, fuel efficient car" at one of three idled U.S Plants: Orion, Michigan; Spring Hill, Tennessee; or Janesville, Wisconsin. How will they decide?

This car is probably not the Chevy Cruze, which has already been promised to the Lordstown, Ohio plan. It could also be another vehicle like the 2011 Chevy Viva, the company's could-be next entry into the subcompact segment.

GM mentions in their release that "leadership has begun discussions regarding selection criteria with Federal and State government officials from Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin." We take this to mean there's some hope of getting the best incentives from local officials to maintain and, possibly, expand job opportunities in their respective regions.

It'll be interesting to see what impact government ownership will have on this decision given both Michigan and Wisconsin are swing states and Tennessee could, theoretically, be brought over to President Obama's side in the next presidential election. Whether or not this has any impact on the decision remains to be seen, though someone will argue the decision was political no matter where the plant goes.

Statement On The Plant Selection To Produce The New Small Car For GM

On May 29, GM announced that we will build a future small, fuel-efficient car in the United States utilizing an existing UAW-GM assembly plant that is currently on standby capacity status. The assembly plants in consideration are Orion (Michigan), Spring Hill (Tennessee) and Janesville (Wisconsin). Given the importance of this small car program, and in an effort to move quickly to identify the plant, GM leadership has begun discussions regarding selection criteria with Federal and State government officials from Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin. We hope to identify and announce the future production site of the small car within the next several weeks.

[source: GM]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=KkcktkgkS34:V5KvDGfYYlw:D7DqB2pKE full?i=KkcktkgkS34:V5KvDGfYYlw:V_sGLiPBp
KkcktkgkS34

View the full article

Filed under: Economy, Plants/Manufacturing, GM

spark_580lo_gen.jpg
2010 Chevrolet Spark - Click above for high-res image gallery

Orion, Michigan... Spring Hill, Tennessee... Janesville, Wisconsin... Come on down! You're the next contestants on The Price Is Right three finalists for the future home of General Motors' planned small car plant.

In a brief press release issued today, GM confirmed that it has short-listed these three existing UAW-GM facilities as the contenders to build the as-yet-unnamed fuel miser first announced on May 29. Could it be a version of the 2010 Chevrolet Spark shown above? Or the so-called "Viva" hatchback that was recently spotted testing at the Nürburgring?

The automaker says it has begun holding discussions with federal and state government representatives, and it hopes to announce the winner within the next few weeks. Official press release after the jump.

Gallery: 2010 Chevy Spark

01_m300_headlight_5-1280_thumbnail.jpg02_m300_high-front_4-1280_thumbnail.jpg03_m300_profile_3-1280_thumbnail.jpg04_m300_rear_2-1280_thumbnail.jpg05_spark_3-4_front-1280_thumbnail.jpg

[source: General Motors]

Continue reading GM narrows new small car plant search down to three locations

GM narrows new small car plant search down to three locations originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=jXZ7KtmrEl0:jOirA329gtk:wF9xT autoblog?i=jXZ7KtmrEl0:jOirA329gtk:V_sGL
jXZ7KtmrEl0

View the full article

I'm just happy for GM to have a small car that's built in the US instead of korea or mexico or something.

I'm just happy for GM to have a small car that's built in the US instead of korea or mexico or something.

True that. If the economy of scales works and GM actually ships this car to other parts of the world it would be a good confidence and revenue booster.

Sounds like the days of Stempel competition.

If I remember right, the Wisconsin plant one a round during that era.

Now the qustion is do they send it to MI for the PR or TN for the more coperative workers.

Who makes the call the GM, the Goverment or the share holder the UAW.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0