Gunman, guards exchange fire in Holocaust Museum

WASHINGTON – An elderly gunman opened fire with a rifle inside the crowded U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum on Wednesday, gravely wounding a security guard before being shot. Authorities said they were investigating a white supremacist as the possible shooter.

The assailant was in critical condition, said Washington, D.C., Mayor Adrian Fenty.

D.C. Police Chief Kathy Lanier said the gunman appeared to have acted alone. He was "engaged by security guards immediately after entering the door" with a rifle, she said.

The museum normally has a heavy security presence with guards positioned both inside and outside. All visitors are required to pass through metal detectors at the entrance, and bags are screened.

But Lanier told reporters at a hastily convened news conference, "The second he stepped into the building he began firing."

Authorities said they were investigating for any possible connection with terrorism or hate crime.

The museum, located just off the National Mall near the Washington Monument, is a popular tourist attraction. It draws about 1.7 million visitors each year.

Roads surrounding the museum were closed at least temporarily and blocked off with yellow tape. Several police cars and officers on horses surrounded the area.

One law enforcement official said James Von Brunn, a white supremacist, was under investigation in the shooting, and a second official said the elderly man's car was found near the museum and tested for explosives. They spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss the investigation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090610/ap_on_...museum_shooting

I agree that this guy should be allowed to die and not waste taxpayers money. While I also feel it was wrong what happened to the Jews at the hands of the Nazi's, I do question the use of tax payers money to support this museum.

Questions to everyone here:

Do you feel what this person did was right or wrong?

How do you feel about taxpayers money going to museums like this?

When we have such a huge debt in this country, should any of the museums, social programs etc really be supported by tax payers money versus donations and entrance fees to visit said museum or site, etc.

Sound off on your feelings about this?

I agree that this guy should be allowed to die and not waste taxpayers money. While I also feel it was wrong what happened to the Jews at the hands of the Nazi's, I do question the use of tax payers money to support this museum.

When we have such a huge debt in this country, should any of the museums, social programs etc really be supported by tax payers money versus donations and entrance fees to visit said museum or site, etc.

Huh?? What the hell does funding of museums--ANY museum--- have to do with a wackjob shooting people in a museum? You trying to make this some sort of political thing?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Not sure if it is accurate, but I've heard that the process for putting a person to death in our justice system actually costs more than locking them up for life.

I support museums such as this one. The cost to the taxpayer is merely pennies a person, I'm sure. There are much more questionable gov't programs that are much more deserving of shutdown.

Huh?? What the hell does funding of museums--ANY museum have to do with a wackjob shooting people in a museum? You trying to make this some sort of political thing?

NOPE! I have read half a dozen stories on this now and a couple also brought up how much tax money is spent on the security of the place and that this could have been worse from this wackjob if it was not for the security. This got me to thinking about how we spend tax payers money on programs and why.

It also made me reconfirm my death penalty towards morons like this that cannot accepts others for their differances and end up using a gun to cause such pain.

Not sure if it is accurate, but I've heard that the process for putting a person to death in our justice system actually costs more than locking them up for life.

I support museums such as this one. The cost to the taxpayer is merely pennies a person, I'm sure. There are much more questionable gov't programs that are much more deserving of shutdown.

True I suspect it is a small part of a much larger expense that should be reviewed.

Either way, I am very glad no one else was hurt and feel this is one of those times that they should not waste the hospital resouces on such a uncaring individual.

Well, hopefully that old grouch will spend all his last days in the darkness of a prison cell; his mind is already in the dark anyways.

And funding these museums is cheap, and maybe they'll inspire people to accept differences, live together happily, and realize the futility of wasting tons more money to go to war.

Of course that jackass was wrong, who in their right mind would think what he did was remotely right?

As for funding museums like this or any type. Of course I want my taxpayer money funding them. It is our responsibility to never allow ourselves to forget things like the holocaust, and to honor those who lost their lives.

If you want to cuts pending, cut it on useless programs like if the governor wants his office reonvated, free cell phones for state employees and such.

And what would killing an innocent person fall under? Especially when you saw him do it? There's no speculation to be had. He's guilty.

Of course.

But you don't want to start allowing exceptions to the rights granted in the Bill of Rights.

That is very dangerous fire to play with.

Recently in Philly, a scumbag raped an 11 year-old girl viciously. The cops put the word out that they were looking for him. A bunch of locals spot the guy and proceed to beat him with fists and 2x4s - all caught on camera.

The guy is guilty as sin and a real scumbag.

But guess what?

No charges are being brought against the vigilantes that beat the dirtball despite the video evidence.

That, my friends, is a miscarriage of justice.

Of course.

But you don't want to start allowing exceptions to the rights granted in the Bill of Rights.

That is very dangerous fire to play with.

Recently in Philly, a scumbag raped an 11 year-old girl viciously. The cops put the word out that they were looking for him. A bunch of locals spot the guy and proceed to beat him with fists and 2x4s - all caught on camera.

The guy is guilty as sin and a real scumbag.

But guess what?

No charges are being brought against the vigilantes that beat the dirtball despite the video evidence.

That, my friends, is a miscarriage of justice.

You get what you deserve, as they say.

It's a tough line to walk, to be sure how to call it, however I can't help but feel glad the scumbag got what he deserved.

I mean...and 11 year old...that's terrible.

Terrible indeed.

But think on this for a moment, the cops were calling the guy a "person of interest", not even a "suspect" at the time.

The local news is calling it a "citizen's arrest".

But no one knew until days later that the guy is a DNA match.

They could have been beating an innocent man, maybe a witness.

What has happened is wrong and always will be - no debate required, no fine line.

Due process is the basis of justice in every case - even obvious ones.

Terrible indeed.

But think on this for a moment, the cops were calling the guy a "person of interest", not even a "suspect" at the time.

The local news is calling it a "citizen's arrest".

But no one knew until days later that the guy is a DNA match.

They could have been beating an innocent man, maybe a witness.

What has happened is wrong and always will be - no debate required, no fine line.

Due process is the basis of justice in every case - even obvious ones.

Yeah I know, that is the problem.

Due process is what separates us from the thuggish regimes of the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and of course, the NAZI regime which perpetrated the Holocaust. The gunman obviously does not agree with this Western ideal, and the best way to punish this thug is to use the very thing he despises against him.

Due process is what separates us from the thuggish regimes of the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and of course, the NAZI regime which perpetrated the Holocaust. The gunman obviously does not agree with this Western ideal, and the best way to punish this thug is to use the very thing he despises against him.

Precisely.

Failing to condemn the mob mentality is a really, really bad idea.

I'm certain that it will come back to bite them.

Roughing the guy up a bit and holding him for the cops would have been enough. The beating (especially with the 2x4), is an arrestible offense and charges should have been brought.

Assuming he doesn't die from the gunshots, he'll be dead long before he has a chance to go to trial.

He might make it to trial, but an execution likley won't be necessary.

Maybe the senile old bigot will do us all a favor and not recover from his wounds.

Well, hopefully that old grouch will spend all his last days in the darkness of a prison cell; his mind is already in the dark anyways.

But then, all he'd see is 'black' around him... OH THE HORROR OF HIS WORLD!

I pity the old fart. Too old to learn anything outside of is sad, stupid existence.