Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: America's best-selling car isn't what you might think...

24 posts in this topic

Filed under: Car Buying, Time Warp, Coupes, Hybrids/Alternative, Etc., Toys

littletikescozycoupe---00.jpg
Little Tikes Cozy Coupe - Click above for high-res image gallery

The middle of June might seem like an odd time to release sales figures, but we've just gotten word that previous reports announcing America's best-selling vehicle may have been all wrong. While the Ford F-Series pickup has topped the vehicle sales list for as long as we can remember, the car crown has shifted back-and-forth from the Taurus to the Accord to the Camry for the past few decades. Or has it?

A relatively unlikely American carmaker is now laying claim to that title. Little Tikes Co. of Hudson, Ohio has released sales figures for its iconic Cozy Coupe showing that it has outsold all of those four-door family sedans throughout its 30-year production run. That's right, the red plastic coupe with the yellow top turns 30 this year, and last year alone the company moved 457,000 of them, handily besting the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

While the Cozy Coupe you're buying for your kids today might look just like the one you remember unwrapping yourself 30 years ago, it has actually undergone three revisions in that time. The original Cozy Coupe was actually penned by former Chrysler designer, Jim Mariol, in 1979. It kicked off a riding toy craze that hasn't subsided. Rather than resting on their laurels, however, Little Tikes has taken the 30th anniversary of America's favorite ride-on car as a great opportunity for a makeover.

The 2009 model gets Pixar-like eyes up front, a floorboard to keep tiny feet from getting caught under the seat, and a handle and cupholders for parents built into the roof. Besides the classic Cozy Coupe, the company has also offered a variety of specialized models including the Princess edition, a Patrol police car, a Ride & Rescue fire company ride, a pickup truck and the uplevel Grand Coupe among others.

The American-made Cozy Coupe is even being enshrined in the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland as one of the top twenty best selling models of all time. Congrats on turning 30 and for snagging that best-selling car title. Here's to 30 more years of happy Little Tikes.

[sources: The Birmingham News, Fox News via NextAutos]

America's best-selling car isn't what you might think... originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=EVH6CtVGFn4:7IG6wqqlOlE:wF9xT autoblog?i=EVH6CtVGFn4:7IG6wqqlOlE:V_sGL
EVH6CtVGFn4

View the full article

Take that Toyota!

My brother had one of these. We used it basically for crash test dummies.

This is, of course, the car that inspired the design of the Smart ForTwo... :)

....and unlike Toyotas the frame will never rust...plus that little red car appeals to a more refined, mature audience than your typical Toyota buyer.

Chris

THATS LAME. my little car as a kid was infinitely cooler because no one could figure out how to drive it.

It was steered by 2 handles one on either side of you, you had to push one up while pulling the other back. I THINK it was 4 wheel steering but i could be wrong. It was capable of 360s and other fun maneuvers. I am shocked that those little crappy plastic tires were able to take the years of asphalt and cement abuse of me spinning those puppies everywhere. I never flipped it either!

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

I had a Radio Flyer wagon and a 3 wheeled plastic tryke, done up chopper style. At age 7, I got a very cool 2 seat Sears 5hp rear engined go-kart. Fun, fun, fun racing up and down the 3/4 mile long driveway..

I started with a Cozy Coupe, moved up to Big Wheels (I always destroyed the front tires in those), and then moved into the big leagues with a battery-powered Power Wheels Jeep!

I started with a Cozy Coupe, moved up to Big Wheels (I always destroyed the front tires in those), and then moved into the big leagues with a battery-powered Power Wheels Jeep!

DUDE I KNOW RIGHT? Those big wheels ALWAYS blew a plastic front tire. But soooooooooo much fun...

They need to make adult sized Big Wheels

Did you read about the guys that took Power Wheels and other ride ons and added lawnmower engines for big fun?

Rollin' on 4's yo! :pbjtime:

Our neighbor had one when we were younger and we played with it. Never had one personally, we had a red Honda electric trike (looked like an ATV but with one main wheel) The battery never could hold a charger so we would take turns going down the hill on it and pushing it back up. I don't know what happened to it, but I wish we still had it...or I could find out what it was called (siegen might know?)

I can't remember what it was called, but there was this one that essentially had two Big Wheel front wheels that you sat between and cranked with both arms.

That thing could move! And could spin in place.

I remember that it came out after I was just a bit too big for it, but I squeezed myself in anyway and terrorized the neighborhood.

Fun!

Edited by Camino LS6

i had a different one all together growing up. mine was yellow with black wheels. it had white covers over the wheels with the products logo along the design of mooneyes. it was a pedal car and the coolest thing about it was it steered like a tank. a lever in each hand. it was freakin sweet. i totally pwned my sisters barbie doll vette power wheels every time i hit it hehehe.

They need to make adult sized Big Wheels

+1

And that front tire you could make spin for days without going anywhere. We still rode them with the f@#ked up front tire, it was fun.

+1

And that front tire you could make spin for days without going anywhere. We still rode them with the f@#ked up front tire, it was fun.

Yup! :smilewide:

I remember pebbles would get in there too and make a *click click click* when you were really flying.

Total Win

I think this story is pretty important. What other vehicle is more green than a hybrid or electric car? Our 21-month-old has recently taken a liking to the Cozy Coupe, so we'll be picking one out on the lot in a near future. You can bet I'll be pimpin' it up a notch, just for $h!s-n-giggles.

Edited by ShadowDog

thats a great video

we also had the little tikes tractor with little trailer

we used to make a "short track" in our driveway and race them. The tractor got the inside lane and the bigwheel the outside, it ended up being pretty fair about 50 50 split on the wins.

My lazy ass always rode in a powerwheels! lol

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room