Z-06

[source: Motortrend]

First Drive: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox

The End Of "Good Enough For Chevy"

112_0909_05z%202010_chevrolet_equinox%20

• Class Leading Fuel Economy
  • Active Noise Cancellation Device Employed - A first for GM
  • Bests Interiors of Any Competitors in its Class
Chevrolets at their best offered "more than expected." This separated the revolutionary 1955 Bel Air from its popularly priced rivals at Ford and Plymouth. It defined the first two generations of Chevelles and the downsized 1977 Caprice. But as GM moved into the troubled 1980s and '90s, the clarion call at Chevrolet became "Good enough for Chevy." This sad phrase steered product planners, designers, and engineers into producing a generation of Chevrolets that were little more than segment placeholders, something to give the brand a presence in a category.

The original Equinox embodied this attitude to the hilt. On paper the specs were on target: a standard V-6 and automatic transmission, independent suspension, and discs at all four corners along with a roomy, reconfigurable interior for five. Dynamically and aesthetically, the vehicle was far less than the sum of its parts. Following in the path of a series of upgraded Chevrolets (the Malibu and GMT900 full-size trucks), the 2010 Equinox has eschewed the good-enough-for-Chevy attitude and has become a transformed crossover in the process.

After a deep-dive into the compact-crossover segment Chevy came to significant revelations. First was that owners of these vehicles appreciate and seek refined, comfortable products. Buyers told Chevy V-6 engines are not a high priority. Most important, Chevrolet decided if it was going to play in the CR-V, Escape, and RAV4 sandbox it must try to beat the best.

Of course, manufacturers have claimed this countless times in the past. Starting with the architecture of the first Equinox, the stage was set for another case of overpromising and underdelivering. Overall width is up a fraction over an inch and vehicle length has been shortened an inch. Powertrain offerings were rethought and both the old-fashioned "high-value" 185-horsepower, 3.4-liter OHV V-6 and the modern "high-feature" 264-horsepower, 3.6-liter DOHC V-6 are no longer offered. The Equinox Sport has been axed along with the 3.6.

Instead, a 182-horsepower direct-injected 2.4-liter DOHC I-4 is standard in all Equinox models and a 3.0-liter direct-injection version of the high-feature DOHC V-6 making the 3.6's 264 horsepower is available on LT and LTZ trim levels. Either engine is available with front or all-wheel drive and GM's six-speed automatic is standard across the board. The 3.0 in a front-drive Equinox is estimated at 18/25 mpg, 1 mpg better than the 3.6 in city and highway mileage.

When mated to the I-4, a driver-selectable "eco mode" is added to the six-speed automatic, which allows the torque converter clutch to lock up at lower speeds and changes shift points to improve fuel economy. The result is a front-drive compact crossover estimated to deliver 22 mpg in the EPA city cycle and 32 mpg highway. That beats the Ford Escape Hybrid's number, making the 2.4-liter Equinox the segment highway fuel economy leader.

Government 5-star and IIHS "good" crash ratings were a program target from the outset and base curb weight is up over the previous model. However, improved impact performance doesn't tell the whole story of the 110-pound mass rise.

With its interior of amusingly grained hard plastic, the original Equinox was a real boom box inside. Playing for segment leadership rather than mere participation made silencing the 2010 Equinox a gilt-edge priority. GM employed Active Noise Cancellation for the first time on any of its production vehicles. The system (on 2.4-liter models exclusively) employs two microphones to detect low-frequency sounds in the cabin and then uses the car's audio system speaker, including the subwoofer when fitted, to generate canceling sound. The noise-cancellation system also allowed engineers to drop the idle speed of the I-4, which yielded about 0.1-mpg-better fuel economy. Further noise mitigation is attained through the use of laminated acoustic glass for the windshield and front side windows as well as triple seals on all four doors. Additionally, the level of interior materials is significantly upgraded to the point where the Equinox cabin is measurably better than Chevy's own Malibu. Yes, there are still some large hard-plastic components, but they've been moved out of the driver's primary touch zones or have been covered with soft (or soft-touch) trim. Compare interiors side by side with the chief competition, Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Toyota RAV4, and the Chevy eats 'em up and spits 'em out.

Climbing into an AWD 2.4-liter Equinox LT during a rainstorm, we almost hot cranked the ignition. The engine was running, but the sound of rain falling on the sunroof drowned it out, and its idle didn't vibrate through the toe-pan, seat, or steering column. And the triple door seals, acoustic glass windshield, and front-door windows have pretty much eliminated -- eliminated -- A-pillar, wiper, and mirror-patch wind noise at speeds up to about 65 mph.

According to Chevrolet, the front-drive 2.4-liter Equinox is good for a 0-to-60-mph time of 8.7 seconds. The V-6 shaves nine-tenths off that time.

Setting the I-4 Equinox transmission into Eco Mode doesn't significantly change the driving experience when puttering around. Even though the converter clutch engages a lower speed, there's no appreciable added roughness. The Eco Mode's revised shift points are not quite so transparent. At part throttle, acceleration becomes more leisurely, not to where the Equinox feels doggy, but apparent enough to a sensitive driver. The majority of drivers in the segment would be hard-pressed to feel the slight decrease in performance.

To the enthusiast, discussing vehicle dynamics in this segment seems irrelevant. If you're looking to carve up a canyon road in a CR-V rather than a Civic, for example, you've got one strange set of priorities. With that in mind, the 2010 Equinox is a less than optimal choice for said twisty driving than a Cobalt SS. But when the road becomes more challenging than a thoroughfare, the Equinox will do nothing untoward or dangerous unless provoked by a madman. The base P225/65R17 all-season Michelins are optimized for reduced rolling resistance and good tread life. They become the "fusible link" when pushing the Equinox very hard, giving the driver plenty of audible notice before they let go of the road in complete frustration. The ride/handling compromise has been biased in favor of comfort and predictability, the segment rule. Compliance and road isolation is the order of the day for driver comfort and reduced cabin noise. Cars with the optional P235/55R19 Hankooks generate considerably more tire sound than those equipped with 17- or 18-inch rubber.

Power steering with the V-6 is a hydraulic system, while the I-4s get a new rack-mounted electric power-steering system. Steering feel is noteworthy for a direct-acting electric rack, better than some electronically controlled hydraulic systems.

The 2010 Equinox LS carries a base MSRP of $23,185, with power driver's seat, tilt and telescope steering column, power windows and locks, air conditioning, and alloy wheels among the standard equipment. Mid-range 1LT model starts at $24,105, adding privacy glass, roof rails, and an electronic compass. Higher-end 2LT further adds auto climate-control A/C, Bluetooth, USB connection, rearview camera, foglights, and upgraded audio with steering-wheel controls, and starts at $26,190. The topline $28,790 LTZ throws in a memory seat and mirrors for the driver, heated leather seats, sonar rear park assist, exterior chrome package, and power tailgate. Pricing may be the biggest news of all since a 2010 Equinox LS undercuts the previous version by a hefty $1825. The mid-range 1LT carries an MSRP $905 less than that of the 2009 base version.

With the 2010 Equinox, Chevrolet has a product that genuinely outperforms its best competitors in the areas of NVH, accommodation, and fuel economy. That it does so with better content and more than competitive pricing marks a return to the "more than expected" philosophy that brought about Chevrolet's postwar golden age. Just as important as how it performs in the market, the Equinox should be the final nail in the coffin of the jaded GM concept of "Good Enough for Chevy."

lets wait and see how edmunds buthchers it.

i saw the nox at the autoshow. its gorgeous.

the vue is a fun to drive vehicle. this is bound to be even better. i may have to consider one. the mpg alone is worth it.

i am glad this will expose the crv and rav and forester for the crap they are.

in comparison to the edge, this will return huge fuel economy advantage with similar function.

Edited by regfootball

I don't see any reason for choosing the slightly wider [?] edge, murano over this. the venza is still one great looking wagon, it's stance and elegance win me over this. that said, the equinox is very impressive style wise, the front end is a knockout, and the best interpretation of the chevy language. malibu was never remarkable for materials quality but rather presentation, this takes all the best from malibu and perfects everything else chevy engineered there. equinox, cruze, malibu will serve as highly profitable ventures for the new GM, and will easily best marketshare. i think equinox has potential to grow significantly for years to come and never stagnate or lose prevalence....given its very good and enduring design sense.

Strange times we live in

Where somebody can show off their love for a $h!ty wagon/minivan and then whine that they are being attacked on a GM website that has mostly Chrysler headlines.

indeed strange times. i thought the whole point of my post was that i was showing love for the equinox, in fact i positively gushed over gm's new product. yet i get stoned for showing balance and nuance in my thinking. strange times. strange people.

by the way. technically venza won't serve as competition, since technically speaking it is a higher class and more expensive. but it will be cross shopped......venza is a better looking car imo, but that is high praise, imo, because both are very attractive designs. when strictly talking engineering, the GM product wins, thanks to a highly efficient engine, but both are pretty great cars. design wise i find the interior of equinox very appealing, but to call it more appealing than venza i'd have to see it in person, venza, in person works awesome, again, imo. so it would in preliminary consumer battles register a draw........that is until you see the price. in that regard, and considering the elegance of the equinox design, it is no longer a cheap trasnport device gussied up with chrome wheels like before, the equinox is the winner.

EDIT: did this before your last response, olds, and this isn't meant as an attack or anything to you

Edited by turbo200

The Venza is kind of in same space the Ford Taurus X/Freestyle was..a wagonish crossover based off a sedan.

Something Venza-ish could be interesting for Buick, based off Epsilon II and slotted below the Enclave.

Great article IF this is as good as the Malibu which it will be, this will be a home-run. My little GM dealer has two already sold.

From the way this reads it sounds like it is better than the BU as it should be 2 years later.

They have more sound control, DI engines and it said the interior was even better than the already good BU.

As for the Venza it will have appeal to the the Toyota/import fans. But more and more the name of the game is price. If Chevy can keep this well quipted and good quality they will find the converts in this ever tighting economy. This vehicle is a page out of the old Chevy book that Hyundia has been playing for the last 5 years.

More for the money is key in the next few years and this SUV will play right in their hands. Also Chevy now will do the marketing like GM has needed to for years. They now can promote and market most of their cars properly vs at the intro only to be forgotten the second year. With only a few divisions whats left can be better attended too.

I was never a fan of the old Nox and after I got in one of these I was convince how good this was. THen when I got into a old one two weeks ago it hit me how bad the old one really was. THis one reminded me of a small Arcadia.

Edited by hyperv6

I seen a few Equinox's while I was in Detriot. They look good on the outside.

I expect them and a 3.6 DI in the Bu soon.

I love my DI engine. The only problem was the ticking at start up of the high pressure pump. I had the TSB done where they are now installing a foam rubber cover to quite the pumps. it worked.

Edited by hyperv6

what exactly is a VENZA?

It is a taller Camry wagon.

Accept for the nose it does not look bad for what it is but is not as affordable like the Nox will be. I drove one and it is ok and should do well.

It is like a cross between a Minivan and a wagon. Sort of a Anti minivan in a way.

Edited by hyperv6

This is all great news about the press acceptance of the new Equinox. I can't wait for them to get their hands on the GMC Terrain, though I think they'll be more critical of it's 'assertive' styling. I'm happy to see GM finally make a CUV worth buying and can't wait until both the Equinox and Terrain hit the dealers lots for me to test drive them.

• 4 weeks later...

i looked at a few equinox on the lot today.

SHARP VEHICLE!

a loaded one is too pricey (north of 34k) but the base LS i looked at aside from hideous cloth pattern was really sweet. the dash is cool, and the whole thing is great stylish value. its a very largish looking vehicle and has style all over the asian competition. way more charisma than the escape too.

i even coerced my wife to take a peek at it, and she even agreed it was sharp.

she said it should have a third row, but i explained that the point exactly then would be to get a traverse, which she then obliged to liking as well upon seeing it.

what is perplexing is the equinox v6 awd basically has the same mpg as the traverse.

but the fwd 4 popper has excellent mpg.

really is a sharp vehicle. if it drives at all like the Vue's i have driven (or better) i could say its a great drive too. The dash and interior looks really cool. Spacewise it looks no different than the current Nox, which itself is very spacious and with the flex rear seat.

Now i am even more curious about a test drive. My friend who was gonna get a Vue, has an avalanche now but has wanted to downsize, was interested in the equinox, i bet if he checks one out he'll prob buy one I'm guessing.

Funny thing is the Equinox in upper trims and equipment is a little too close to some Ford Edge pricing. The Edge of course is a solid larger vehicle. Not by much in terms of size, but much heavier I am guessing. But unless the equinox comes with some rebates and discounting i would think a lot of folks might lean towards a discounted edge before an MSRP Equinox. The Edge actually has even worse mpg for the AWD6 than the nox, although real world things i have seen on the edge suggests the mpg is better than the EPA ratings. My Taurus X i think is rated 15/22 or 16/23 but recently has been averaging 20-22 in all driving.

I would guess a front drive equinox could manage 25mpg consistently.

• 7 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=509646:date=Jun 11 2009, 12:31 AM:name=turbo200)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (turbo200 @ Jun 11 2009, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=509646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see any reason for choosing the slightly wider [?] edge, murano over this. the venza is still one great looking wagon,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I stopped reading after this.

The second row seats still do not fold flat and level .... which any wagon-type should be able to do!

QUOTE (JamesBond @ Jun 11 2009, 11:15 AM) Strange times we live in

Where somebody can show off their love for a &#036;h&#33;ty wagon/minivan and then whine that they are being attacked on a GM website that has mostly Chrysler headlines.

indeed strange times. i thought the whole point of my post was that i was showing love for the equinox, in fact i positively gushed over gm's new product. yet i get stoned for showing balance and nuance in my thinking. strange times. strange people.

Yeah, we're a quirky bunch here...

I think people can't get past the boring design. But, that said-I think it flows pretty well on the V......cheers.gif

*ducks for incoming*duck.gif